Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Flat tire on Revo cart
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Found a puncture on the tire. Not knowing how the wheel was constructed, I twisted the end cap on the axle where it says "twist." I ended up breaking the plastic retainer on the wheel side by twisting too much.

Not sure how to fix the puncture. The tire is a shaped donut with a valve. I could use some kind of fix-a-flat sealant through the schrader valve. Right now I have wired the retaining clip onto the axle. Normally, I would try something more elegant. But, I'm going out fishing tomorrow morning at daybreak in the 28 degree cool air. It'll roll flat and won't have to go all that far.

If you have suggestions on a good fix, I'd like to hear it.

Thanks, Hal

Post subject: Ideas...
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I used to fix the old "non-demountable" ATC90 tires by using burn on patches, on the outside of the tire. Basically, you grind down the area of the leak to get the rubber pretty smooth, then apply the patch using flammable glue (follow the directions...you have to let the stuff dry before applying the patch). After it's on, you paint the gray edge of the patch with the glue, then light it on fire. Immediately blow it out, then relight, then blow out, then relight....until it doesn't relight. Let it cool completely before inflating the tire.

Really bad cuts can be sewed shut with fishing line and sailmakers needles, then hot patched over the repair. I rode a lot of miles on those external patched tires!

If your tire has cords under the tread, you can use a plug repair kit. If it's just rubber (like the original ATC tires) the plug kit will just tear out.

Regards, JimL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Luckily, there was a URL on the side of the tire ... wheeleez.com

I went there and found a nice video on how to patch a hole or tear with a soldering iron.

I tried four times to fix the tire with no success. I've just today replaced the wheels with $8 plastic hub solid rubber narrow 10" Harbor Freight wheels. I used 1/2" inner diameter plastic tubing to space the wheels out to the retainer. This allows my crate to fit between the wheels on the kayak. But, the larger wheels don't allow the cart to fit as deeply in the scupper holes.

Where I fish, there are no sandy beaches just lots of rocks.

I like it. I like that I don't have to worry about flats. I do have to bungee it down as it won't float. But, that's not a big deal. I won't drag the tail so much when I go over uneven terrain.

Hope the follow-up helps. Thanks, Hal