Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The forward inner hatch gasket has pulled 1/8" away from the hull in one corner and could contribute to some minor leakage. I've tried to press fit the gasket back on the hull edge but it won't stay. It appears as though the material was cut a bit too short and stretched to fit. It appears a repair may require mastic of some sort. Any product recommendations? Would heating the material with a heat gun soften it enough to stretch the it back into place?

A small amount of water seeps in past the rudder control lines where they exit the hull. This is normal, but is there a good way to further minimize seepage?

Casual observation: I'm a semi-serious play racer cyclist and I'm amazed at how much pedaling the A with turbo fins has increased my power on the bike. Haven't gotten used to the lower cadence yet but I'm having so much fun zooming around that I haven't bothered to take a rod with me yet. Equally amazing is how frequently people beckon me in to shore to ask if I'm really pedaling a kayak. Giving demo rides to visiting snow birds is a hoot, especially when you see the look on their faces when they come back.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:21 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

I had a similar problem with the front hatch on the Adventure. I used a generous bead of silicon caulking around the opening (after removing the hatch), then remounted the hatch and gasket.

You can also minimize any well water lapping up against the hatch with a simple foam block in the drivewell as shown here (attached by tape to the drive frame):

Finally, you can also use a dab of the silicon caulk at the rudder cable openings to close down the holes without abrading the cables.

Depending on your activities and water conditions, you can expect a little water to enter the hull one way or the other. No big deal -- just remember to wipe out and air out when done. 8)

Post subject: meep..meep
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi-ya Roadie :D
Hows ya going over there young feller ?
On your foam block in the drive well , does it interfere much with mirage drive installation ( assuming it was not made to big etc) or does one leave it in for the most part and replace as needed? I am considering trying this in my tandem...just because it has bugged me a little bit to always slosh that water around in the well. (more drag too?) :cry:
I was also wondering if you have ever taken your tandem out solo for a float/sail/pedal/paddle and what your experience was like.. pedaling...steering... paddling..sailing ? If so did you put the black plastic block in the forward drive well or did you install the second mirage drive up front and leave the fins in the straight up/down position , when possible , as "more keel"? What about the need for more ballast up front how much is too much or not enough , any eyedeers on that? Mrs Kep has so far declined any winter time Polar Bear floats or bike rides across the frozen tundra so am considering going out by myself and taking a break from the bike rides here and there .
Finally y'all have a Happy Ho-Ho and thank you for your numerous other great ideas, expert tips , photos and reviews this year, you are everyone's favorite Hobie Peep round these parts :lol:
-Kepnutz-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Roadrunner,

I used a heat gun just enough to soften the gasket material and pressed in back on the hull opening. If it doesn't hold I'll go the silicone route per your suggestion. I'll put a dab of silicone on the rudder line openings too. I suspect there is enough WD40 on the lines so that the silicone won't adhere to them. I have some closed cell foam around I use for packing camera gear so I'll also try your drive well plug tomorrow. Great idea.

I got bounced around pretty good today by boat wakes on a local river. While a single wake from a good sized cruiser is fun, steep wakes crossing from several directions stimulate Sidekick thoughts when the panic subsides.

You have an engineering inclination and extensive Adventure experience, so I'll ask if you foresee a disadvantage in terms of hull balance (or otherwise) to mounting Sidekicks via the mast bracket holes forward of the Mirage Drive? My Adventure is an '07 with the Island outrigger brackets just aft of the seat. I could machine a couple of brackets so as to mount a Sidekick there, but don't really like the location for several reasons; primarily interference with paddling and aft well capacity.

With the forward location it would be much easier to put proper backing plates under the brackets and perhaps use the crossarm for mounting other brackets or holders. Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Merry Christmas

Post subject: Re: meep..meep
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:25 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

kepnutz wrote:
Hi-ya Roadie :D
Hows ya going over there young feller ?
On your foam block in the drive well , does it interfere much with mirage drive installation ( assuming it was not made to big etc) or does one leave it in for the most part and replace as needed?

Hi Kep,

There is no interference; it is cut to clear the moving parts by about 1/4", and is notched to fit over part of the frame for stability. It is just taped to the drive as shown below:

Quote:
I was also wondering if you have ever taken your tandem out solo for a float/sail/pedal/paddle and what your experience was like.. pedaling...steering... paddling..sailing ?

Absolutely! With the front well plugged, the turn radius improves dramatically. Speed isn't to bad although the bow becomes more sensitive to wind. To keep the nose down, I have a "1st and 2nd mate" (below) that go along. They are a couple of tubes filled with old lead wheel weights mixed with a slurry of mortar mix to provide some dead-weight forward. If you don't make them too long, they will fit into the forward hatch (fit before filling!).
[URL=http://imageshack.us]Image
[/URL]Non-protruding caps (below), as I learned later, seem to work better when fitting through the front hatch.
Pedaling is fun, but requires frequent rudder attention; paddling is awful for tracking; haven't tried sailing because my tandem is so old they hadn't invented sails yet (no place to put the mast).

You may also get offers for volunteer crew members if you hang around the shore. In that case, you may want to bring the extra drive along:lol:

Thanks for the nice wishes. From one Peep to another, have a Happy Holiday as well!! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:03 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Naples Dennis wrote:
I got bounced around pretty good today by boat wakes on a local river. While a single wake from a good sized cruiser is fun, steep wakes crossing from several directions stimulate Sidekick thoughts when the panic subsides.

...[do] you foresee a disadvantage in terms of hull balance (or otherwise) to mounting Sidekicks via the mast bracket holes forward of the Mirage Drive?

With the forward location it would be much easier to put proper backing plates under the brackets and perhaps use the cross arm for mounting other brackets or holders. Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Merry Christmas

Thanks, Dennis, and Merry Christmas to you as well!

I have not mounted the Sidekick, but from what I have read, the location doesn't matter as long as the mounting is secure and out of your way. If you go forward, you want to make sure it won't interfere with your paddle stroke, boarding or pedaling. There might be a small difference with rudder response, but it shouldn't be noticeable.

Since the Sidekick is adjustable, you may want to keep it within reach in case you want to change the ama height while underway. In any event, you can relocate the Sidekick if you need to -- leave screws in the old holes or fill the holes with plastic (Hobie has "welding sticks" available for that purpose).

The sidekick is great for sailing, standing or any use where stability enhancement is desired. That having been said, in choppy conditions and confused seas, the Sidekick may toss the boat around (and you out), as it keeps the hull perpendicular to the ever changing water surface.

If your only concern is stability in boat wakes, I would suggest you spend a little more time becoming familiar with the hull before making your decision; you can counterbalance against unruly swells, etc. quite nicely with the Adventure by your upper body lean and weight shifting. After awhile, you acquire a pretty decent reflex to unexpected disturbances! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:15 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
what year is your tandem, I don't remember there being a tandem w/o sailing ability. The mast fits in the scupper hole under the from seat, there is an attachment that needs to be bought, and you eliminate the front seat. I have a customer that wanted to be able to sail while is wife was in the from seat, we modified a mirage drive cassette plug, drilled it out and installed the fitting that is suppose to go under the front seat, works like a charm, she only loses the pedals, she likes to ride anyways!

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:50 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

It's an '01 model built in Sept, '00. Seems the mast holes started showing up around '03 (?) after the larger capacity hulls were introduced. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:13 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
do you know your serial number, Hobie part number 84960, fits mirage tandems with serial number lower than 1543

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Roadrunner,

The learning curve must be relatively shallow with the A. I went out today for about 3 hours in 2' swells with a 12" to 15" chop on top - 15 mph winds with gusts to about 18. As you said, I think familiarity breeds confidence and extends the comfort zone. Relaxed, I found myself automatically counter-leaning into swells. I covered about 3/4 miles each way to reach an inlet running downhill going out and heading-up on the return and felt comfortable throughout.

The Sidekick might be best for long fishing trips to facilitate moving around or standing to relieve leg and back cramps after a few hours in the saddle.

Have you played around with ballast forward to limit hull rise when pedaling at a fast cruise? I sense the hull hits a wall when I hit he pedals hard - speed seems to flatten out quickly with bow rise i.e. even a little bow rise produces an quick point of diminishing return.

I'm 6'4' and about 235 lbs so I may be producing a large aft CG with my heavy butt which is not the hull's shortcoming.

Thanks and merry Christmas,
Dennis