Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Snuffer System for H20
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey guys,

Does anyone have a snuffer system installed for the spinnaker on the H20? We want to put one on this spring, but aren't sure which would be the best style. We were thinking of getting the mid pole snuffer, but don't know if anyone had any experience on this. Thanks!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We had the tramp bag for the spin which was okay for long distance, but hard for short. A friend let us borrow a older Tiger mid pole snuffer and spin to try this spring. It worked great except the Tiger spin is too small for the H20. By recutting the original 20 spin we got it to fly. The mid pole snuffer works really well but it got too cold before we could work all the little kinks out. Can't wait till spring!!!!
Give it a try. And let us know what you think.
Merry Christmas!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

thanks. what do you mean by re-cut the spinnaker? it looks like we have to mount some block on the H20 spin to be able to use a snuffer system with it. do you know approximately where these need to go?

we're thinking of just trying her out without the snuffer first, to get some experience with the spin and also find out what we really want. then, we'll probably get the snuffer.

why hasn't someone invented a sock for these things? we used to sail a 32-ft sloop and we had an asymm spin inside a big sock. you'de hoist the sock to the top of the mast, then pull it up to unmask the spin. to bring it in, you would just lower the sock around it. seems like this should work on a cat, too.

seth

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Basically the spin that we have for the 20 was made 5-6yrs ago-but used very rarely. It had a HUGE belly, so we flattened it out by taking in the sides. It is still much bigger than the F18 spin and works much better. As for the blocks I don't think we had to add any extra to use the snuffer system. But we had to put webbing/gromits on the spin for the halard to run through so it would snuff. Our friend who let use use his F18 spin and snuffer helped us set it up and we used his sail as a guide to recut ours. If you race ask around and I am sure you will get lots of good advice. Good luck with all that spagetti on the tramp-We have all our sheets and halards different colors, which helps alot.
You will love running with the spin with a snuffer-happy sailing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

are you still able to use the stock spinnaker pole with the snuffer? also, what did you use to secure the spinnaker pole to the bridle wires? thanks, seth

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Seth-
Yes, we use the stock spin pole and screw the bowl straight to that. To secure we replaced the bridle wire pins with eye bolts and tied to the eyes. Best thing to do is to take a close look at a Tiger set up and copy it-that is all we did.
You can't use a sock like on the monohull because the extra windage on top of the mast will case MAJOR problems with cats. They are too light to take the drag.
How long have you been sailing cats and where are you located? I am a newbie myself but have a great teacher-my skipper has been sailing for ages. I have been really enjoying learning and racing on both cats and monohull. But the cats are the best-FAST. Nothing like double trapping and flying a hull!!!!!
Sail fast and have fun-
Joanna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:01 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

thanks for the input. we are going to try and just sail her without the snuffer for a while, just so see how it goes, and ot make sure we get the right gear when we finally do.

we sail out of sandy hook, NJ (www.fleet250.org). we had a 16 growing up but it got to be too small for us, so we got this 20 last summer. it is such an awesome boat. we got a decent deal but had to dump 1.5k into her to get her up to speed. but now things look really good. we almost bought an 18..boy would have been a mistake

later
seth

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

also how do you cleat off your spinnaker sheets?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello again-
We don't cleat the spin sheets--that's my job. :) You have to work it as you go. Keep the very slight curl in the edge. Now we do use blocks that help hold some drag for heavier air days. Depending on your size you probably won't want to fly it in really heavy air days. We only weigh 265 together and have to carry wt. to race. (295 is min) Also, if you are light weight becareful if you flip the boat you may have problems righting it. We can't.
The 20 is a great boat! But we have decided to try and sell it and my skippers 17 and get a boat that fits our needs better. I will miss it when it does sell. :(
If you guys were closer (we are in Chattanooga TN) or want to get away- I would highly recommend coming down to lake Hartwell, GA for Spring Fever. (twinhulls.com) It is a very well attended cat regatta over Easter wkend. Three days of racing, fun, food, and learning a lot. There are all kinds of great people that could help you learn a lot. If we still have the 20 we will be racing it.
Sorry I'm so long winded-hope it helps and have a great new year. Keep me posted how it goes and if you have any other questions. ([email protected])

Joanna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

On the recut Hobie 20 spin, do you still sheet from the rear crossbar? Also, how much did you take off of each side at the foot?

Thanks,
Bill

H20 #433
Southeast Iowa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

For a snuffer system for the Hobie 20, some of the top Hobie 20 sailors in Northern California (Tim Parsons, Mark Lewis) have used this system to add spinnakers to their boats:

http://www.gobarefootstudio.com/snu_08.html

There is also a link with pictures to show what they came up with on their 20's:

http://www.gobarefootstudio.com/PDFs/SNU_H20Spin_1.pdf

They were using old tiger spins last year.
I haven't done this yet but I am thinking about doing something similar that can be moved from my 20 to my 18.

- Dwight

Hobie 20 #916 San Jose CA 2000 Alter Cup
Hobie 20 #16 San Jose CA (Jordan) 2000 Alter Cup
Hobie 18 #916 Santa Cruz CA 1989 Worlds Boat
Hobie 16 #16 San Jose CA (Jordan) 2005 Custom Main
Hobie 16 #54466 Calling Lake Alta Tequila sunrise

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

beat you to it! first we had the old (original?) hobie snuffer on there, the solid fiberglass tube. that put a bunch of pinholes in the kite. then I got a tiger snuffer which worked well but still was difficult to use. then i sprung for the SNU. works like a champ. the hoop actually points upward rather than forward! what a difference!