Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

waheed wrote:
The actual track is integrated it is just the blocks on the corner castings are not, they are riveted on top.

Can you post a pic? The correct config is that the sheave is inside the casting with a rivet (from the top) acting as the axle. The castings should have the Hobie H logo. Do your front castings visually match the rear ones?

'00 H16 #104691
'78 H16 #32692 ex-rental [gone]
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

MBounds wrote:
waheed wrote:
MBounds wrote:
waheed wrote:
I have a 2003 and the jib traveller blocks are not integrated.

This is of course assuming the front cross bar is still original.

That would be an incorrect assumption.
Integrated travelers were brought to the US in 1995 (they were introduced in Europe prior to that).

The actual track is integrated it is just the blocks on the corner castings are not, they are riveted on top.

The castings must have been replaced at some point, since the integrated track / integrated blocks in the castings were introduced together.

Not sure the above is correct. I have a 1994 SE model with integrated jib tracks, new style traveler cars, but no jib traveler adjustment blocks in the casting or otherwise. My neighbor has a 1995 boat set up the same way. We have both added after-market traveler adjustment systems.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:58 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

GD_NC wrote:
MBounds wrote:
waheed wrote:
MBounds wrote:
waheed wrote:
I have a 2003 and the jib traveller blocks are not integrated.

This is of course assuming the front cross bar is still original.

That would be an incorrect assumption.
Integrated travelers were brought to the US in 1995 (they were introduced in Europe prior to that).

The castings must have been replaced at some point, since the integrated track / integrated blocks in the castings were introduced together.

Not sure the above is correct. I have a 1994 SE model with integrated jib tracks, new style traveler cars, but no jib traveler adjustment blocks in the casting or otherwise. My neighbor has a 1995 boat set up the same way. We have both added after-market traveler adjustment systems.

Hobie may have been clearing inventory of older castings during the transition period, but by 2002, that certainly would have ended. I owned a '98 that had the integrated block castings.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm standing right next to a friend's '95 Worlds (Mexico) and it has an integrated jib track but the old style castings.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I don't have a good photo unfortunately but it is similar to PurdueZach's photo except my castings are black.

If it helps I am in Australia so maybe they were doing different things.

We have a big regatta in a couple of weeks so I might have a look around at different boats and see what I can see on them

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:24 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

PurdueZach wrote:
I'm standing right next to a friend's '95 Worlds (Mexico) and it has an integrated jib track but the old style castings.
Not seen that before, have I (said in a Yoda voice). Obviously there was a transition period in '95 where the integrated track / new cars were introduced, but not the control system/new castings.

Still doesn't explain why the guy with the 2002 boat has that system.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:44 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Reviving a bit of an older topic here. I got a '95 H16 worlds boat recently and the manual that came with it doesn't show the jib car set up I have on it so a bit lost. Can anyone please post a picture of a 95 or later 16 jib set up, specifically how the jib lines and shock cord are rigged? Thanks in advance.

'95 H16 sail #101148
'89 H18 SX/ sail #1053 w/ Yellow hulls

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:49 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Wow! Bumping a really old thread here, but....... My '83 is a red glue boat. Also, I think maybe the reef grommets stayed around a little longer than '85. The sails I'm using now (not my originals) I got from a fellow who was big into racing in the late 90's. They had been his spare set and (he said) were off a late 80's boat- sail number would have been from that era, too.

Dave

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but on my 1995 I have the smaller track size in the front crossbar, so the newer style cars don't work.

To get the cars to travel I first removed the pins that will lock the cars into position in the pre drilled holes in the track, no need for that set up once your going to the auto return system with the shock cord and the cheek blocks on the castings.

Next, I put a small shackle on the car so that I can connect all three lines needed (shock cord, traveler line, jib sheet)

ImageImage

Last edited by coralreefer on Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:38 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks Coral for the pictures... that makes sense now! Adding that shackle should solve my issue on how to attach all the lines together. I can't wait to get this cat on the water and see what the difference is from my previous '84s.

'95 H16 sail #101148
'89 H18 SX/ sail #1053 w/ Yellow hulls

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Someone mentioned that the mast track slot was narrowed at some point. makes sense, as the screws for the 6:1 downhaul kit were a VERY tight fit, as were the ones that came out of the old cleat. Easy enough to check as there are a ton of old 16s right up the beach from here.

Anyone know when this happened, and what other changes came with it? I know the feeder slot was changed to be one-sided at some point also.

'00 H16 #104691
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:09 pm 
Site Admin

AntonLargiader wrote:
Someone mentioned that the mast track slot was narrowed at some point. makes sense, as the screws for the 6:1 downhaul kit were a VERY tight fit, as were the ones that came out of the old cleat. Easy enough to check as there are a ton of old 16s right up the beach from here.

Anyone know when this happened, and what other changes came with it? I know the feeder slot was changed to be one-sided at some point also.

Never heard about a mast luff track width change...

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just checked a whole bunch of older masts. The #10 screws fit easily into the track, whereas they don't on mine. I would suspect that my mast is an anomaly, since I suspect it is not original to the boat, but the tech at the Hobie dealer was the first to mention the change. I will check the screws against some other new masts, like the Getaway and the T2 at the dealer. No other newer H16s around here that I know of; the OBX is kind of a H16 retirement home.

These older masts all had the wider feeder slot with the steel feeder inside the slot*, where both sides are machined, and no comptip.

* EDITS: My mast also has the double-sided machining but the feeder (now gone) straddled the slot. No rivet holes inside the slot.

'00 H16 #104691
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages

Last edited by AntonLargiader on Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Coral and Hawk (or anyone else with the same setup),

Could you measure the jib track so I can put a number on the small vs large track difference?

'00 H16 #104691
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Unfortunately, I don't have my 1995 anymore, I sold it to someone in the Keys who then sailed it to Cuba in this years Havana Challenge.

How crazy is that!!