Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Can anyone give me an idea how to lower the main while on the water? I've already rode over a dock and up a concrete ramp sailing downwind in medium air. I've finally figured out that I can stop the boat doing a 180 into the wind, but I'd read somewhere that I could drop the main on the water. Because of the angle necessary, I cannot seem to get the lock lug disengaged to lower the main except while finally docked, but at this point it creates a handling problem as the wind is never directly into the dock and the main tries to swing or tip the boat in medium to heavy air. Unfortunately, I have no beaches where I'm sailing, only rocks.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bring some large pieces of scrap carpet to your sailing site and put them down either on the rocky beach or on the concrete ramp to protect the hulls. That way you can rig and launch from land. These boats are much easier to rig on land than on the water.

sm

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:43 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

You can lower the main on the water, but controlling it is a different matter - it will slither all over the trampoline, not leaving you very much space to move around.

To lower the main on the water, make sure the downhaul is loose, then get as far forward as you can - even to the point of sitting out on one of the hulls facing aft. You should be able to disengage the halyard by snapping it out like cracking a whip.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:41 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Better to learn to handle the boat. Practice some STOPS in various places with room to spare - yes head in with your plan in your head where you will come in and then start to head up to slow - and eventually stop when into the wind. At that point you can actually back in using opposite rudder direction.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Matt. Worked like a charm. Easier to back using the jib than the mainsail. Now to bring along some old carpet. I wish I had a beach, but this plan will work. I was able to back in downwind with gusting 15 knots today without too much of a problem. Now I need the carpet for launching.