Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm 95% convinced to purchase a Getaway but this is a sanity check to make sure I'm not doing something completely boneheaded.

I'm looking for something to race beer cans with but I'm also looking for something to sail with my wife and two young children (aged 4 and 6). My kids will be continuing to learn to sail this boat so it has to be pretty rugged.

I've been racing "big boats" for the last couple of years and we're working towards ditching everything and living aboard a big cat in the next 3-5 years while the kids still want to hang out with us :D In the meantime we want something to sail and most importantly have fun.

I started teaching the kids to sail on a C&C Shark so we're used to being cozy so I'm not too worried about space however the Getaway seems more then spacious. I was originally looking at a Wave (with Hooter package :shock: ) but dismissed due to load and space capacity. I briefly toyed with 2 waves but my wife shot that down pretty quick.

So is the Getaway the right boat for me?

Also beyond wings, Harken blocks and replacing the tiller (yeah I devoured the archives) anything else I need/should consider?

thanks a bunch
CB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've had my Getaway for about 18 months. Before that I had a 16 and 2 17's. The Getaway is my favorite. I love the simplicity of the boat. It's easy to set up, easy to sail and easy to mantain. I sail off the beach in Florida and I'm always giving people rides. I've had 3 adults and 3 teenagers on the boat many times with no problem. I always let the kids take a turn at the tiller. You should see their faces - and their parents. Sailing 101. And then when the winds up, you can have all the fun you can handle solo - the boat is a blast.

My only issues with the Getaway are it's heavy to move around on the beach solo. And it's a challenge to right solo. With that being said, I still think it's the safest, toughest, funest - is that a word? - boat for the money. And speaking of money, try and find a used one. People get them and keep them. And when you do find a used one - they aren't cheap - they hold their value.

All in all, I think it's a great choice for a family boat. The only thing you might consider adding besides wings would be a Cheata motor mount and a little 2hp outboard. Sometimes as the sun goes down, we put a cooler on board and just cruise the intercoastal. It's great. It also will let you get in and out of tight launch areas.

Go for it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the feedback drgatsea. Will look into the Cheata

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:40 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Go for it. I got my Getaway years ago an this has been one of the best boat I've ever owned.

It's a great, simple boat that you can take out by yourself for some fun or loadup the family and in-laws for a sunset cruise and drink!

The Cheata mount works great even with a small electric motor. My 32Ah AGM battery lasts about 1/2 hour (2 miles) if my memory is right; enough to get me back to my mooring or shore if the wind dies down. And the best part is that it's completely quiet!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey Cerebal...- I noticed you're out in the 'loo :) I'm just down the road in Guelph/Eramosa and actually just posted my Getaway for sale on the other board here. Have a look - if you're interested and really do wanna "pop" for a Getaway, gimme a shout!! :)

J.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:21 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I received mt Getaway last summer and it has been a great boat! Very forgiving. I reccomend one with the new tiller system because of its simple mechanical design. The only issue I have with it,.. is the mast. It is not the best design to raise. You have to be fairly strong to do it by yourself. (which you may find doing once you discover how it sails with just you onboard) If the mast was not such a pain to raise I would take it out after work alot more because the rest of the rigging is quick and easy. Another cool boat for the family if you can afford it ,is the Virus Magnum 21 or 21S. Quick, stable and relatively easy to rig.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

thanks Honkycat, I'll keep it in mind.

Kirby4sailing (or others):
* is this a new tiller design Hobie improved as of 200X model year or after market?
* any issue with leaving the mast up if you're not trailering?

thanks
CB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey CB - I can't answer your question on the tiller; but as for leaving the mast up - the trickiest bit for us was trees! As long as you've got nothing between the boat and the clouds, I'd say the mast is fine for leaving up! (maybe taking it down a couple times a season to check on your lines, bob and such). it's not too tricky to step it - 2 of us could do it smoothly in less than a minute. just my 2 cents!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Tiller update I believe started on the 2006 model year but you can always order it from a Hobie dealer to retrofit any older models.
As for the mast being left up,.....Ya, you can do that, but make sure if you leave it on the beach or trailor to get a snorkle to put on your jib and anchor it down on front and back to the ground!! Do not rely on the trailor to hold it down in case of a wind storm. I have seen firsthand what happens to Hobies when they are not anchored and/or stored correctly. It's not pretty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Good luck with the new getaway. We bought ours last summer and love it. Here's a couple of lessons we learned the hard way.

At about 2/3 up the mast, the sailtrack goes from metal to plastic, with a 1/2 inch gap between the two. When you're raising the mainsail, be sure to keep an eye on the sail when it gets near that point. The head of the sail can get hung up in the gap, especially if the winds are variable and have blown the sail out of the fore-aft line of the boat. If you use too much force when the sail is at the joint, you can split the plastic portion of the sailtrack (as we did). I soak the head of the sail in lubricant before I raise it, and that helps a great deal to get it through the gap.

Keep an extra pair of tiller bushings handy (preferably on board). They are delicate, and can snap if the tiller moves too far to one side, especially when the boat is out of the water and there is no water resistance to slow the rudder movement. They're only $5.00 each, and can be switched out in about 5 minutes.

Enjoy the new getaway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:27 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The getaway switched my family from a powerboat family to a sailing family.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Make sure that your wife understands that this is a "wet" boat and the experience will be different from the Shark. That's the main complain I get from mine. My boys (2, 5 and 10) love the ride and I guess it will only get better as they grow.

Here is what I like:
- capacity
- easy to rig
- forgiving (no boom, tough hulls)
- wings - you gotta have those

What I don't like:
- trapeze not "supported" with wings - I guess you can still go ahead and install one like I plan to do (especially for the kids)
- too heavy to take it out of the water by yourself, you really need some help - if you keep in on the trailer then that's not a problem

I don't know about the Harken blocks, I didn't have any problems so far with the stock one (since 2006). I did get a better tiller extension, a righting bag and the motor mount (used in combination with a 2 HP Honda).