Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Questions about new AI
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Just got a new AI and love it. It will go places and do things that I can't do with my Getaway. And I love the Getaway.

Have a couple of questions. When sailing on a port tack, if the wind increases, the rudder can't hold the boat on course and it turns upwind. Is this normal or is there an adjustment that can fix this? I've tightened the little screw to hold the rudder in place. That helps some, but I worry about damaging the rudder if I forget it's locked down.

Also, the Mirage drive, how cool is that? It's simply amazing how well it moves the boat. Hats off to anyone who had a hand in that - it's the best!
My question here is about care. Other than washing it down after each use, should I be spraying any oil or potions on the mechanism? Are there any oils or products I should stay away from? Just want to maintain it properly.

Any and all advice will be welcome. Really like Xavier's barber hauler idea. That is the next project.

Thanks in advance -

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:29 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Congratulations on your new AI!

The "weather helm" that you are experiencing with your rudder seems to be somewhat common with the AI. The best way to deal with it seems to be locking the rudder down. It was specifically added for that reason.

WD-40 seems to be popular as a lube. I use Break-Free, and usually rinse and lube after every outing. It's also an excellent time to cycle the Drive a couple of times and make sure it operates freely (no binding, grinding or funny noises). 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:53 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I agree with Roadrunner that the way to solve the weatherhelm is to lock down the rudder; however you have to remember it when you get back to shore as you won't be able to use the handle to bring the rudder back up. If the bottom is rough, your rudder won't appreciate (been there, done that!)

Enjoy your AI. I also have both the AI and Getaway and enjoy both tremendously. Too bad I can't sail both at the same time for double the fun :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ditto to Roadrunner's suggested care of the Mirage Drive. I use WD-40 myself, but any spray lubricant should work nicely. Also, as RR said, check to see that no shell bits or large sand grains are wedged in the mechanism. Fine sand is usually not a problem since it rinses itself out. However, I generally pull the drive just before landing to avoid any problems in this regard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Don't forget that the daggerboard is not on center. That will definitely affect the helm.

Brian C