Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 3:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all.
Nice forum and lots of great info.
I've been researching kayaks for the last several months and planning on pulling the trigger on a new Revo in the New year.

I'm pretty much sold on this yak, but I have some questions.

I've relocated several months ago and have been watching the steelheaders fishing the Snake and Clearwater Rivers here in N. Idaho.

I'm surprised that the kayak is not a more common fishing platform here. I see so many oar drift boats and of course many of the $30-40K steelheading jetboats. The drift boats seem to work well as long as there is two on board - one to row, and one to fish. It seems to me the mirage drive would be excellent in this capacity and I intend to test this theory soon.

My first questions are:
1. Is it possible to turn the mirage drive backwards in it's well where position on the river might be maintained while facing down-stream?

2. Does anyone on this forum have any experience steelheading these waters from a kayak? Comments and suggestions would be appreciated.

Besides fishing, I would enjoy touring these rivers as well. While doing some homework on the Snake River in particular, there are some serious rapids where even a portage is not possible. Namely in the Hells Canyon Nat'l Rec Area.

I've viewed the post where the Hobie gang floated to Hoover Dam in December last year:
http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2789
It looks like great fun, but also mostly flat water.

My question is:
3. With adequate experience, is white water rapids something the Revo would be capable of?

4. And if so, to what class of Rapids would be a within it's capability considering the paddler had the experience?

Most of the white water kayaking I see appears to be in small. nimble SIT kayaks specifically built more for the skateboarding/surfer set.
I've enjoyed motorcycle touring for many years and especially the dual purpose variety that allows me to get to where the street machines can't. But still not a serious dirt bike either. I'd like a boat that fits a similar profile.

I'm guessing that class II and III rapids are probably the most that can be expected, but I honestly don't see much on this topic. Seeing some of the great fish taken from a kayak, I expect steelheading in one will be great fun.
There are also the occasional sturgeon hook-ups too. woooohooo.

Thanks in advance for any comments, and congrats to Hobie on a truly innovative product.

CamoGreg

Post subject: Rapids and moving water?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:53 pm 
Site Admin

Rapids and moving water?

We don't advise use of our products in moving waters.

I have no great experience to offer. The guys who did the river had to work up the river along the sides in areas with swift current. I think it would be very difficult to maintain position in fast moving water and impossible backwards... aside from the drive not really fitting well backwards. The rudder upstream in the leading end of a boat would be difficult to manage and very tricky.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmiller wrote:
We don't advise use of our products in moving waters.
You might want to be more specific on this... :lol: <Chuckle>

Post subject: Moving?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:23 pm 
Site Admin

Moving water? That is vague isn't it?

That would be flowing... rough rapid-like flowing waters. Rivers with rocks under the surface type moving water.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the reply Matt.

I understand the Revo and other Hobie kayaks are not meant for rapids. I am just hoping to be able to plan a week long float and along a river where there are some serious rapids and portage around may not be possible. Something I'll have to look into further.

As for pedalling backwards, something similar to what Naples Dennis posted seemd possible. In mild current it seemed feasible.

Wonderful product and great site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have been in rapids up to class III with a Classic & a Sport, ClassII in an Outback (will probably be buying a Revo this Spring myself). But I must state that these were deep water rapids and fairly short (300 yards and less) - stablity on the Hobies are fine and control is good as long as you maintain power (pedal to maintain a speed faster than the water). I was out at the Snake river many years ago (not in a boat). From what I remember, most of those rapids are shallow & rocky - not Mirage drive country. Raise the drive & paddle like hell - class I is fun but class II is scary under those conditions. Reversing the drive worked on every Mirage drive boat I've ever owned as far as propulsion, but as Matt pointed out, the rudder is going to give you problems if you are actually going to try to use the boat that way. My suggestion - stay in deeper water and point it upstream when you want to maintain your position in a current. It's the best human powered game in town........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey Camo,

When I was trying my reverse drive trick on the Black River last Saturday I was playing in only a 2 to 2-1/2 knot current at most. When I was standing off with the wind at my back it was only a 10-12 knot breeze at most.

Even so, it was pretty easy to over-correct with the rudder. As long as I made small corrections I would do fine holding position for 3 to maybe as long as 7 or 8 minutes before I'd have to get the paddle out and make a significant correction and start the whole process over. At no time did I encounter a situation with wind and current crossing.

In my hull anyway the Mirage Drive seated perfectly backwards. It's less efficient because the hull isn't designed to be efficient going in that direction. The peddles don't know what direction they're facing and otherwise seemed pretty unemotional about the whole thing.

Roadrunner gave me some good advice a few weeks ago that I'll paraphrase for you here. Take time to familiarize yourself with the boat. Work up gradually to tougher combinations of wind, wave and current until your reactions become almost autonomic. Then I'd add, about the time you start to get a little cocky remind yourself that you are primed to scare the bejeezus out of yourself. Fooling with Mother Nature is like eating an elephant - it can be done but only if you do it one mouthful at a time.

I have an Adventure which is narrower than the Revo, which should feel very stable to you. Don't do as I did. For the first month I did a lot of cruising and experimenting with just me and a few water bottles in the boat - just exercising, basically, which is great fun too.

Over the course of a month I got pretty confident and finally headed out to do some fishing on a very windy day. The boat was loaded with a big cooler filled with ice and drinks, rods, lures, cell phone, hand-held VHF, GPS, rodholders, camera, wheels etc. Thirty seconds out in 14-17 MPH winds and 2-3 foot seas I realized I was in a whole new ballgame. With all the newfound weight on board the Big A felt very top heavy and more tippy (tender). I never touched the rods that day and ended up spending 3 hours getting used to the boat all over again in tis new configuration. Fortunately, no deep draft sportfishing boats were around to add 4' wakes to the conditions. My pucker factor would have been redlined for sure.

I think this is a sport for a lifetime. Don't cut that life short by jumping into conditions in your first month for which this tool wasn't designed.

Another factor if your going into places where you'd have to portage a lot, is the weight of these boats. W.O. the Mirage Drive the Revo and the A both must weight 70 lbs or more - despite what the brochures claim. Added to that, they are long and can be unwieldly, particularly in the wind. I am a moose yet I would dread lugging one of these things over my head 100 feet in a parking lot let alone over uneven, wet terrain.

Back to the good news. I'm spending almost all of my time lately on rivers where Hobies are the total bomb. Should you forget and leave your rods home one day, you will still head out and have one of the best days of your life just pedaling along watching the world go by and talking to every boat that passes by. Never forget the beer. Everybody will have a question about what you're driving and without fail you will get a smile and a friendly wave from everyone you encounter.

Just so you know, I'm buying a Revo too for friends to use.

Have fun with those steelhead, amigo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The amount of gear (weight) that you would need for a week on the Revo would be my first concern. Load it all up and see how well she floats and paddles in a lake. Obtain all of the information on the river of choice (class of rapids and depth, talk to the local shops, books, web, etc.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for all the useful info guys.

I was already sold on the Revo. My initial attraction to this boat was just as Dennis stated: To get out and "have one of the best days of your life just pedaling along watching the world go by".

Hooking into a steelhead and possibly later, a week long river adventure would just be a bonus.

Working in an engineering field for the last 30 years, I've been regularly accused of being anal about testing and preparation. This spring and summer will be mainly just that - oh yeah, and watching the world go by!

The Snake river is literally right out my back door. It's wide, deep and slower in this area and resembles more of a recreational lake here in Lewiston, Idaho where it converges with the Clearwater river.
The faster water doesn't begin until about 10 miles upstream.

I hope to learn more from the experienced peddlers on this site. Even more fun, is going to be learning as I get out and peddle.

If this turns out to be as fun as it appears, I've already been thinking a "guest" Revo would follow later this year.

It's 5 degrees F. today and I'm pumped about a visit to the dealer this weekend where I may be returning with a boat...how sick is that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:21 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

CamoGreg wrote:
It's 5 degrees F. today and I'm pumped about a visit to the dealer this weekend where I may be returning with a boat...how sick is that?

Well, if nothing else I bet it makes a good sled! Take it up on the highway on the hill (it's been a while since I've been to Lewiston/Clarkston, I forget the name) and see if you can make it all the way down!

http://www.div4.hobieclass.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:12 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

It's appropriately named The Spiral Highway. I'd better be sure to get 2 anchors and the upgraded rudder. :lol: