Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I need a boat.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 8:20 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

A little help for the rookie. I have sailed monos (about 20 years ago) and done some "ballast" sailing on 16's and 18's but mostly sail my boards and kites for my wind jazz. Now that my two kids are 9 and 5 ... I want to get them as whipped about wind power as I am. I have looked at a local dealer for a getaway and he is quoting about 8K$ with trailer and out the door for a 2003 ... note that this is without wings or traps. I would like some advice or information on some used boats that are close enough to go fetch from Memphis, TN over a weekend. Please advise ... I have some good ideas on what to look at for a used boats in the fiberglass world and I assume the stress points are the same ... anyone have a used (read new as possible) value (isnt it always champagne tastes with beer budget?) in a getaway or a 17? I much prefer the ease of use that I read about in the getaway and the extra realestate ... please advise and forgive me if this is the wrong venue ... just signed up here ...

Many thanks in advance. Mac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The problem you're gonna run into is that the Getaway is a very popular and relatively new boat. Prices aren't likely to come down and the used market is pretty scarce. Keep looking, though!

For what it's worth, I was in the exact same position last year. Finally decided to buy a used H16. Got a good one for a song ($600.00 including trailer) and had enough left over in the budget to add some nice little goodies. Picked up a pair of SitnSail wing seats and have been having a ball sailing it with my two boys who are 14 and 10. The wing seats seem to almost double the usable size of the boat.

Just something to keep in mind. . .

Fair Winds,
Nick
'78 H16 "Burt the Cat"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 2:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yeah, I looked for a good, local, used Getaway for six months before I bit the bullet and bought the one in town. It was considerably more expensive than some others that were 1000 miles away, but the cost to pick them up evened the score. The lack of preowned Getaways for sale is a strong indicator of what great boats they are. If I could, I'd have bought a new one, but I got mine for about 50% what a new one would cost, with the accessories. Since I already have a 21' sloop boat note, I decided I needed one I could pay cash for. Keep at it, they're worth the wait! I took my ex-girlfriend's daughters sailing a few weeks ago, and seeing them on the net between the bows, screaming ecstatically when bowspray hit them was worth every penny. Too bad she's my ex, huh?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

well ... thanks for both ... would consider either a 16 or a 17 used but all in area are so worked / old (soft spots on tail or on top where tramp supports are that I run away) ... found a 17 local but sails are shot/ the rigging ancient, front crossbar broken and broken wings ... he still wants too much (over 2K) for me to fix all ... I also the front tramp setup on the getaway ... but I want wings too! Grins.

Many thanks for the feed back and keep your ears to the ground ... or when you get ready to sell yours ... hhahahahahah!

Actually am considering a not too old 16 or 17 ... I think an 18 is a lot of boat but I would think about it. I want to stay in the mid 80's for age and not scared of paying fair but seems like all the local stuff (within about 2 to 3 hours of memphis) is way inflated because of the local absense of sailing ... you guys in sailing heaven keep watching and if you find something let me know .. I will drive 8-10 hours if the price is right and the boat is usable without major overhaul ... someone's project boat that they ran out of funds or patience .. trying to find the person that wants a good home for their boat (not a hole to dump money in).

Pray for wind, Mac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

2001 hobie getaway on ebay. Bidding started at $3000. You'll be hard pressed to find a better deal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

8) Mac/Elvis

I may be able to help you out. Give me a call at (727)460-3544.

Jeffw

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm seriously thinking about parting with my Getaway in order to get into ultralight flying. My Getaway has a little wear and tear, and a little UV damage, but otherwise is great. I've had nothing but compliments from eveyone that sees it. It's a great design, very stable and family friendly. I'd keep her forever if I could. Will deliver to Houston or Austin. I need $4900. Includes Performance(?) trailer with spare tire, beachcat wheels, heavy duty stainless steel trailer box, EZ-Up mast raising system, trap harness, life jackets, beach tarp, Hobie tramp cooler, etc. Contact me at [email protected] with any questions/offers. I'm usually too busy sailing to take pics. I thought I'd post here before I mess with ebay. PayPal or Money Orders would be appreciated.

Sincerely,

Chris Larsen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 6:13 pm 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
We are selling off our rentals and demo's give me a call or e-mail me!

Thanks,
Brad Stephens
www.sunjammers.com
Authorized Hobie/Vanguard Dealer
Hobie Division 15 Chairman
[email protected]
850-235-2281
Panama City Beach, FL