Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MY NEW WAVE
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I will be ordering a Hobie Wave next week from my local dealer. (90 miles is local to me.) As this will be my first cat, but not my first sailboat, I would like to hear from Wave owners regarding what they have learned by sailing their own boats.

Because being able to rig and launch by myself is crucial, as is righting by myself, the Getaway has been ruled out. I intend to add a traveler, jib, and wings, so I am especially interested in the comments of any Wave owners who have used these options.

I will be keeping my boat in a covered storage building about 4 miles from the launch site at Wheeler Lake near Decatur, AL and I wonder if I can keep the wings attached en route. I realize this is not a big deal because they are easy to attach and remove.

Will I need to order the Club version in order to add the traveler?

Are sail bags standard equipment? Do you tie the sails with bungees in transit or do you bag them?

I know the dealer can answer all of these questions for me but I want to have some information before I walk into the boat shop.

My previous boats were fixed keel sloops and a gaff rigged sharpie, so a cat is going to be a whole different experience for me. I am pumped. :>)

Thanks,

Loren

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:40 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm not a Wave owner but:

(1) Traveller = good. You will have to have the Club Wave to do this because the regular Wave's trampoline straps around the rear crossbeam, making it impossible to have the traveller attached.

(2) The jib has not been well received by Wave owners - it is quite small and also adds two blocks to the middle of the boat which easily get in the way. The Hobie spinnaker kit has had an OK response, but another option would be to get the mounting equipment (pole and bridle) and get a flatter sail like a reacher or hooter made for it, with a furling attachment.

(3) Wings are not available for the Wave but backrests are (they are padded tubular instead of the flat surface on boats like the 17 and Getaway). As for leaving them attached, that would have to do with how wide the boat is with them and your local road's maximum width laws :)

(4) I don't believe sail bags are standard equipment. In any case, you will need to take the sail off and roll it up - it is fully battened and doesn't roll around the mast or anything.

I have set up and sailed a Wave before - it's not anywhere near as fast as a bigger cat but it smokes anything else you've probably sailed, especially when solo. Plus, setup time is very low! We had never done it before and had it up and going in 15 minutes. If you glued the mast together (it comes in 2 pieces so that the non-club version can be car-topped), and keep the shrouds attached, you could probably be up and going in 10 minutes.

Just my 2c!

http://www.div4.hobieclass.com/

Post subject: Sailbags
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:47 pm 
Site Admin

Sailbags are standard.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:48 pm 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
Yes the BACKREST can be left on while it is on the road, however the remove very very easy. I think the jib kit added a lot to the demo boat we had on it. I have not installed a traveler kit yet but Matt Miller put the kit together so its gotta be good! The wave is a great seller for us for 1st cat buyers, you will be very happy with it! Ask your dealer if he's got any 06's laying around, I don't think there are any changes from 06 to 07, we have not unboxed an 07 yet. if you think your ever going to move up in boats, like to a getaway or H16 then get a 16 trailer and move the rollers in, 99% of wave owners like the H16 trailer better than the wave trailer. Yes a main sail bag is standard equipment.

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Today is a hap, hap, happy day because I ordered my new Hobie Wave Club edition from Sunjammers in Panama City. www.sunjammers.com

Brad was able to answer all of my questions and he gave me a very reasonable price on the package I listed in message #1 above. It is nice to deal with people who are knowledgeable and friendly.

I guess I need to get a trailer hitch added to my PT Cruiser turbo. 8)

Post subject: Hooter Setup
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Loren:

If you have the money. I would add this:
http://store.catsailor.com/tek9.asp?pg= ... jmnrkomnk0
Will make your Wave a GIANT killer and should win a lot of races in Portsmouth.

Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Doug,
I may well do that, but I will have to learn to crawl before I run. (Pun)

My experience is in much larger (slower) mono hull boats and I am really excited about learning to sail a cat. I only regret having waited until now. I should be in the water in a few weeks.

Post subject: Not that hard
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Loren:

Just leave it furled when windy and take baby steps. Get Rick White's "Catamaran Racing for the 90's" http://store.catsailor.com/tek9.asp?pg= ... =jqcmhpjpe
Will shave 3 years of your learning curve and his Seminar DVD http://store.catsailor.com/tek9.asp?pg= ... jnrorrrrg4 (great price now, I paid $160 for tapes)would be good too. Ashleigh has no trouble with the reacher.
http://www.thebeachcats.com/modules.php ... _photo.php
The Hooter should be just as easy if you start learning in light air.

Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have :

Catamaran Sailing: From Start to Finish - Phil Berman

These two are en route :

Catamaran Racing from Start to Finish - Phil Berman

Catamaran Racing: For the 90's - Rick White

Post subject: Get DVD
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Loren:

Get the DVD, it is real good. I have all 5 on tape, but DVD is better and won't wear out unless you scratch it. Watch them over and over. Seeing it is a LOT better than reading it and at $99. It is a steal. Trust me I have 25 years of cat sailing and learning the roll tack alone is worth the $99.

Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have read this book a couple of times now : Catamaran Racing: For the 90's - Rick White

You are correct Doug, this is a very fine source for boat handling and tuning. I can see that understanding how to tack in a lead keel monohull has little bearing on how to sail a cat.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Brad at www.sunjammers.com should have my new boat ready for delivery in another week or two and I am understandably excited about putting all of this newly found knowledge to good use. 8)

Loren

Post subject: Get the DVD
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Loren:

Get the DVD. It will be the best $100 you ever spend. Believe me, I had to learn the hard way of 25 year on the water. He shows you step by step. Yes some will not apply to your boat. BUT you will get hooked and move up. I now have three and will move to 4 in 2008. Corsair 750 Sprint Trimaran. Do a search for it. Sweet boat. Yes multihulls are a whole new ball game, but I still sail them. Racing on a Bennatau First 36.7 over the winter.

Doug

Post subject: DVD
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Loren:

Did you get the DVD?

Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Not yet Doug. I am still reading the books.

I hope to take delivery of my boat later this week.

With the high temperature here in the low 40's, I am in no hurry to set sail. I do want to take it out of the box and get my fingerprints on it though..........

Loren

Post subject: $99
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Loren:

I don't know how long that $99 will last, That is 1/3 off. I would not wait and jump on that. Believe me, that WILL be the best $99 you will ever spend on your boat. AND great entertainment while waiting for to get warm. (LOL) Let us see pics when you get them. I am going to get the 4.3 out this season to learn spinnaker.

Doug