Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Suggestion needed!!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The aft skags are getting small indentions from the single rollers.

Do the Hull cradles help? If yes, what size would fit properly? They seem expensive. Are there any other creative ways to stop this problem, aside from adding double rollers?

Thanks,
Mike

Post subject: Wood
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:04 pm 
Site Admin

When you get home stick a short length of wood between the keel and the roller. That should spread the load enough to prevent the indention from forming. Dual roller upgrade kit is $85. All Getaway trailers we have sold in the last few years are double... that is the easiest solution.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I read about the need for double rollers with the Getaway and made something else that works pretty well.

On each single roller I placed a 16" piece of pressure treated 2 X 6. It runs lengthwise under the skeg. Under the 2 X 6, I screwed 2 pieces of 1 X 2. They are perpendicular to the length of 2 X 6 and are placed just in front of, and just behind the roller. They keep the 2 X 6 centered on the roller, and from rolling forward or backward on the roller. On top of the 2 X 6, I screwed 2 more pieces of 1 X 2. They are each 16" long and run along each side of the 2 X 6. The skeg of the boat goes between these and they keep the 2 X 6 from sliding off the roller sideways. With the boat sitting on these "pads", the pad can't move forward, backward or sideways. I made four of these and carpeted them.

I roll the boat on the trailer. Then I lift up each corner of the boat and set these "pads" on the rollers. Now, instead of each corner of my boat resting on 1 or 2 square inches, which could cause dents in my hulls. I have each corner resting on 16 square inches. I trailer it with them on and let the boat sit with them on. I only take them off to roll the boat on and off the trailer. They lift on and lift off, no tools needed. They are simple, cheap and functional. You can make all 4 of them in 20 minutes at a total cost of less than $5. Your hulls will like them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

drgatsea,

Thanks for the info, that is exactly what I was looking for.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I got a used Getaway last summer and it had a slight dent on the bottom of one skeg. I was going to put a board under it for winter storage, but when I lifted the corner of the boat, it didn't seem to have all that much weight on the roller.

Question: Do these dents happen just from the weight of the hull, or did the previous owner leave the boat stored with the tiedown straps tensioned?

Did anyone have the dents appear just from the boat's weight and no tiedowns?

Thanks,

Steve
Whitmore Lake, MI

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Steve,
I can only speak about my experience stated above, but the dents were definately caused by the tie downs pulled really tight for long periods of time. I built the wood cradles spoke about earlier in the thread and they work great. I surrounded them with some marine blue astroturf and they look great.

Mike