Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Which battery to use?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi there,

I have a Lowrance Elite 3x Fishfinder and am looking to use it in my kayak. I am a bit unsure which battery to go with. I have read about Deep Cycle batteries which are more expensive and perhaps used for more than just a fishfinder in a kayak.

I am looking at this battery, would it be suitable for the fishfinder/kayak?

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/12-vo ... 2049p.html

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you are going to use the Hobie Battery Tray, the 10ah will not physically fit, it takes the 9ah form factor perfectly. If you going to DIY another method, then that 10ah is a fine choice.

I have a 12v 9ah Duracell mounted in the Hobie Battery Tray, under the front hatch of my PA14. It will power my Lowrance Elite 4 Chirp for days at a time. I am currently adding some low amp LED's (Red on one side, white on the other) for interior lighting during night fishing. Also a port to recharge phone, camera, etc. I have no fear of the 9ah not lasting for multiple days between charge.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100005695487937

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 5:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yes, stick to the battery size that will fit in the Hobie battery holder, they are really SWEET. I've got a 7 for the fish finder and an 8 for my SuperNovaFishing lights. The 7 will last for at least 2 5 hour trips and the 8 last all night with the lights on. Never ran them down completely so I don't know the actual run time. I ran the calculations I found on the internet, and the 8 was smaller than they recommended for the lights, but it's been fine. The 7 has worked great for my Helix 5 fishfinder even though it uses more power than the old cheapies I did have.