Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TX - Lake Texoma, Texas?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Is there a decent beach or area to launch at Lake Texoma, TX/OK? Has anyone ever sailed at Texoma? Any other details appreciated.
Thanks.

AE

2005 Hobie 16 - Ventura Nationals Boat #21
http://www.JackieandAlan.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Burns Run on the Oklahoma side is probably closest for you. It's near the damn. Big beach that's good for launching/retreiving cats. I used to meet friends over there.

http://corpslakes.usace.army.mil/visitors/projects.cfm?Id=M574945

There are a couple of other places on the OK side I landed and they looked good, but I don't know the names for sure. Looking at a map, they appear to be in area of Soldier and Caney Creeks.

http://www.swt.usace.army.mil/LIBRARY/Webhuntingmaps/texoma.pdf

I always launched off the north end of Preston Point at the Texas Instruments campground (but you have to be an employee or guest of an employee). It wasn't a very good place for cats, but it had a cove with docks so I made it work.

If you can get a support boat, camping on the islands can be a good time.

And on a windy day, it's a lot like ocean sailing because of the long fetches and big waves. I did launch my 17 more than once off of waves.

Some words of caustion:
- Keep a sharp eye on the weather as it comes up really quick. When the t-storms come through, that lake gets extremely rough. I had to dive for the closest shelter a couple of times after ignoring the forecast and warning signs.
- It's a very busy lake on nice summer weekends. You'd think it would be hard to miss seeing a Hobie, but I swear that Texoma has more than it's share of moron, head-up-a$$ powerboaters. Been buzzed more than once. Took to carrying a flare gun. Fired it more than once - including at a guy who buzzed me twice.
- It's a big lake. Take lights for your boat. Sooner or later, you will get caught out after dark. Lake patrol has no sense of humor about unlit boats (rightfully so). Plus, you're taking your life into your hands at night if you don't brightly light your boat. I'd probably take a GPS too cause it's easy to get turned around at night.

Bottom line: Great lake for catting. Lots of room, good fetches, good wind. Easy to not get bored as there's tons to explore. Pack a lunch and a cooler. Make a whole day out of it. If you can get a fleet going, you'll have even more fun.

Cheers,
Brian C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Brian, thanks for the info. The Burns Run area looks good. I'm assuming I will need beach wheels or can I launch from a ramp? BTW: Do you have beach wheels in stock? I'll be coming through there in May.

You fired a flare gun AT the boat or in the air? Just curious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you can score a good campsite, beach wheels would be handy cause you'll pull the boat up near the tree line at night. And I believe there's a soft spot near the ramp. But you should scope it out first. It's been a bunch of years since I visited, and I never actually camped there.

No... We don't normally stock beach wheels. Not sure why. Will be glad to have them waiting for you if you want.

And let's call it a shot across the bow as he was coming in for a third pass. The guy was being a real prick and had it coming. And I was more than a little bit rattled since the wind was light and his first two passes were within 25 feet of me at a fairly high rate of speed in a big boat (30+ feet). I reloaded after the 1st shot, but he kept his distance after that. Happened near Lowe's Highport.

That was the last time I went out on Texoma on a holiday weekend. It was July 4th weekend, 1987, or maybe 1988. I did file a complaint with TPWD since the guy had a Texas sticker. Nothing happened that I'm aware of.

I fired flares two other times. Both before this incident. Both at night when I wasn't sure I was seen by another boat that was closing with me. In both cases, the other boat stopped to see if I was OK. I upgraded my lighting to something much brighter after the 2nd time.

Despite the one jacka$$, I'd sail Texoma on a cat in a heart beat. Though I still tend to stay off the water on holiday weekends. Too much booze, too many amateurs.

Brian C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for all the info. I'll give you guys a call in April or so about those beach wheels. With Lake Hefner down to nothing, looks like we'll be trailering our boat quite a bit this year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Come on down... We're starting to get some water back in our lakes. My home launch is almost back to normal.

Did I ever mention that I've been to the top of Elbert? Along with Massive, LaPlata, Twin Peaks and a bunch of others in that area. Last did Elbert from the hard side in 2001.

Brian C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The Dog wrote:
Did I ever mention that I've been to the top of Elbert? Along with Massive, LaPlata, Twin Peaks and a bunch of others in that area. Last did Elbert from the hard side in 2001.

Yup. We talked about it at the shop a year or so ago. You may remember us from our white lab we brought into the store.

We're doing a winter peak near Loveland Pass next month and some technical peaks in the San Juans later this year. I'm trying to juggle the regatta schedule with our mountain climbing schedule next summer, but sometimes it seems like there are not enough weekends.

Let me know if you want to go rock climbing in the Wichitas of Oklahoma sometime this spring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Alan Ellis wrote:
The Dog wrote:

Yup. We talked about it at the shop a year or so ago. You may remember us from our white lab we brought into the store.

Yeah... I remember the visit. You were on your way to pick up your boat. But I don't remember talking about Colorado.

Quote:
Let me know if you want to go rock climbing in the Wichitas of Oklahoma sometime this spring.

I only hike these days. My knees don't much care for technical climing any more.

Brian C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Alan,

Just South of 70 highway, on the Durant (East) side of the lake, go South all the way to the end of Streetman Road. It ends in the Park. This is where the Mid-Americas was held last year. Nice gentle slope to water and a ramp available too. Texoma is a great lake for sailing.

Good Luck

Post subject: Save your mobey
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Alan:

Hi again. Save you money and make some of these.

http://dgaleana2.proboards56.com/index. ... 1143785090

Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That's pretty cool.... I suspect lots of people build their own. I would.

One thought. Solid plastic wheels will do well on "hard" surfaces with few obstacles. But in loose sand or rough terrain, you run into the "Shopping Cart hits a Cheerio" syndrome. You can usually overcome those kinds of sudden stops, but it's nice not to have to.

If you can find a source for some inflatable wheels, I'd use them instead.

Brian C.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I might be making a few trips to Texoma this summer. I normally sail at Thunderbird or Hefner but both of them are getting smaller quick.

Maybe I will bump into some of you all down there.

Post subject: Dike
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Gree:

Come downe and sail with us at the Texas City Dike. BEST place in Texas and flat wate and god wind most of the time. Click on FAQ link at top for dihe info.

www.tcdyc.com

Doug