Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Transporting an Island
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just recently ordered an Adventure Island and hopefully it will arrive by the time the ice melts.
I have read various post concerning transporting with or without Amas, and upright or inverted. I understand the problems that might arise transporting with the amas attached, but do not see the reason for transporting inverted. Someone care to shed the light on this. It probably has ben covered in one of the fishing boards, but I have not discovered it,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:41 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've posted pictures of my home made trailer for my AI and various other floating crafts... in the "Transporting Kayaks abd bikes." thread (http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=5658&highlight=trailer -- sorry for the typo!).

There are other ideas for trailers on the various forums, such as "A Family of Kayaks" (http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=5609&highlight=trailer)

You definitely don't want to store your AI on skinny rollers with the amas attached. This would be a sure way to dent the hull. When transporting kayaks, it is best to set them upside down or on their side. If you want to store them upside up, then make sure they rest on a flat surface to spread the weight.

As I was working on designing my trailer, I left my AI sitting on two rollers (1" dia) for an extended week end. When I came back, there were two noticeable dents in the hull. Wider rollers with a larger bearing surface would not leave such a dent, but the bottom of these kayaks are designed to be supported by water, not by a couple of rods.

If you want to store your kayak upside up, I recommend that you rest them on a flat surface or on "fat" rollers. Also, disassemble the akas and amas as they are not designed to bounce up and down on the freeway if they are extended out, or to support the whole hull weight for extended period of time if they are retracted.

Note: I went to Seattle boat show last week-end and Doug Skidmore, Hobie's president, mentioned that Hobie will be coming out with a trailer for the AI with a cradle designed to transport the AI with amas attached. Worth watching out for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:12 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Xavier for the info and links. Somewhere I saw a photo of a "Dapper" young feller posing in a dry suit in front of an Island atop a small SUV in an upright position. I am curious how the kayak fairs when transported in this position.

I used to live on a Cal 34 in mcCuddy's marina about 30 years ago. Also lived and kept the boat at Shishole in Seattle. I really like that area but it got to crowded for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Geezer,
Welcome to the Hobie Forum! Several different ways of transporting yaks satisfactorily, usually cockpit down, but the AI imposes its own set of problems. Interesting that Hobie will be gettiing into the trailer business, but probably the simplest way of transporting a yak, even a 16 foot one with amas attached, is rigged and upright on pool noodles and lashed in the back of a full size pickup truck. Of course, you will need a "buddy" to help you get the rig off the truck and into the water (and vice versa), but it sure will be nice to have your rig ready to rumble as soon as you get to your destination.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Apalach. I have a small trailer that I am adapting to handle the AI, plus my other inflatable kayak and my bicycles to use on extended trips with my truck camper. Locally near home, I plan to modify my bike rack for my Ford Ranger, coupled with a roof rack on the cab. In both cases, I will remove the Amas. I suppose that once the AI is atop the Ranger, it will be easy enough to flip over into the cradle.

Too bad all the info that is in the KFS board isn't relocated to this site.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Mine's coming in March, but for top loading and carrying on my Honda Pilot, the dealer suggested I use a pull out extender on the top rack front bar, lift the front end onto the extender, then lift the rear of the Island to the rear cradle, and then the front onto the front cradle, close the extender and strap down the Island upright. This leaves room on the other side of the roof for amas and mast, ect. Sounds okay to me. We'll see when it arrives. And I'm counting the days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Longfellow,
First off, a hearty welcome to the Hobie Forum—lots of good folks and good info here.

Here is what your dealer was referring to. This is a roof rack extender that I put together using some SS U-bolts and a spare Thule cross bar. Except that I put the extender on the rear cross bar since the rudder assembly (on the older Hobies) needs to go up first so you don’t damage it by putting the weight of the yak directly on it when you lift the bow. This may not be a problem with the newer twist rudders like those on the BigA and AI.

I also have had good luck with my Trailex trailer. I think the AI should fit nicely on one side and the amas should fit on the other side of a 2 yak trailer (4 yaks, if carried on edge). Have fun with your new boat!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the picture, Apalach. Looks like it should work. We'll see when I do the load whether to put it on the back or front. Thanks for the information.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Looking for a little clarification. Is it OK to store the AI on a set of Malone SeaWings? If so, should the AI be right side up or upside down. I have the SeaWings permanently mounted on my trailer. I take off the amas and akas and store them in my sailbox. I have been transporting it rightside up and storing it upside down, but just wanted to make sure that was best. Any and all thoughts will be appreciated.

Thanks -

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey drgatsea,
Yea, if you have saddles of any kind, then you need to transport cockpit up. That is the way they are designed, and won't cause any problems. But for long term storage, the general rec is to either store on the side or cockpit down on cross beams of some sort. Also a good idea to use some pool noodles or foam on the cross beams where the yak makes contact with the support bars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Apalach - appreciate the quick response!

David

Post subject: AI Weight
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The specs say the AI is 115 pounds, but I hope that's total. What are the weights of each component? I'll be loading it on my roof rack by myself and I don't want to stop for a hernia operation on my way to the lake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Kendo wrote:
Quote:
I'll be loading it on my roof rack by myself and I don't want to stop for a hernia operation on my way to the lake.

Hey Kendo,
Welcome to the Hobie Forum! Funny you should say that--I just recovered from a hernia (operation) that I noticed the day after I loaded my Sport on my trailer! :mrgreen: But I hardly think the Sport caused that directly--more than likely due to several years of heaving yaks on and off roof racks, load extenders and the lot, including dragging them over exposed mud flats and up and down hill and dale to the launch site!