Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 7:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

In the water again!

Our 1983 Hobie 16 (sail 70xxx) was back in the water again. As near as we can tell, the boat was last registered in 1991.

This has been an ongoing exercise for several months. The boat and trailer were donated to a local thrift store. This piqued my interest as I last sailed a Hobe in about 1984 when I crewed for a friend one summer in Oregon. It was a wonderful experience, but he found girls, and I moved away, so that was that,

The boat appeared intact, no dings in the rudders or scratches in the hulls. All of the sails and running rear was present excpt the main sheet system, and the tramp was solid.

There was no listed price, so I researched it all, and suggested that I could take it off of their hands for about $700. The Boss laughed and suggested $1500. Sailing in Kansas is tough at best, and rarely a Hobie is seen on the water. I said - "Thanks but NO Thanks, I'll be back". Eventually my co-investor in the boat (my Wife thought I was nuts, wanted NO part of this) and I bought this for $500 last May.

About $450 for ropes, used mainsheet system, and misc parts, plus $250 for harnesses and lifejackets, and we were ready to go Sunday.

Blustery day at Lake Perry near Lawrence, and we could not get any of our friends that had a real clue on sailing to help, so we went anyway. Too much wind for our skill level, so we struck the jib, and elected to stay in a cove rather than venture out to the main lake.

We sailed a little, floundered a bit, and eventually got stuck in the weeds and walked the boat out (upwind of course) and had a GREAT time.

Boat performed solidly. We did find a few more things that needed tending to, but nothing major. Hulls did not leak, sails did not tear, tramp did not disintegrate - All in All a testament to the robust construction and well thought out selection of components.

We have a teacher for next Sunday, and will try to look better!

Thanks to all who have offered their support without hesitating when asked, and to Hobie and others with great resources on-line for quick refreshing of the brain.

Best in Hobe

Mike and Greg
Leavenworth, KS

Post subject: Better Day to Sail!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 3:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Our big lesson last week was that we needed Lessons this week! Friend of mine volunteered his Sunday Morning to help -

A GREAT day to sail Hobie16.

I thought a nice picture of what sailing one with about 650lb of crew (3) would be appropriate.

http://hometown.aol.com/mgmlvks/Hobie.html

We accomplished a few good things today:

1. Generally have the basic manuevers down
2. Look "sort of" good coming into the dock
3. Piqued the interest of the only other Hobie I have seen on this lake, but we pulled off the lake to finish for the day before he closed with us

GREAT fun!

Mike
Leavenworth

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 7:44 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Wow! Sounds like a lot of work and a lot of fun. Congrats!

Jim

P.S. - That's even lower in the water than when my buddy and I sail. (350lb crew) :) Question though... the three of you in that pic don't look 200+lbs each... did you mean 450lb crew?

Post subject: Crew Weight
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 6:11 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

A little hard to tell, but I am 220, my partner is 280, and his wife is 150, so a LARGE crew!