Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:35 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

clarsen123 wrote:
Congrats! Nice story. Two questions:

1) If the 4' ladder was ~10' behind the boat, how did you step up it onto the tramp? Do you have much longer legs than me or did I read that wrong?

Heh.
A) I put it back there to hold the top of the mast while I connected the hinge. THEN
B) I moved the ladder up to right behind the rear crossbar for actually raising the mast.

Quote:
2) How did you attach the tow rope to the cat to keep it centered and tracking acceptably? I'm thinking about towing my cat behind my sloop, and I want to make sure it's safely done.

I was sitting on my boat, holding the rope in one hand and steering with the other. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

A) Ahhh...

B) That was pretty anticlimactic :wink: I was reading the Annapolis Guide to Seamanship, and there's a whole section in there about towing a boat, but of course it's a mono, which is self-centering. I'm trying to figure out some kind of tow bridle that's centered. Wish me luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 1:08 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Heh. Good luck with that! I guess I remember in the past my dad has tied a tow rope to the dolphin striker when he needed to pull the boat. You might be able to do something like that and then lock the rudders up? But I don't know how that'd work if you're turning? Unless you have some sort of system rigged to the rudders that would somehow measure the angle of the tow rope off the bow and adjust the rudders accordingly?

HMMM sounds like another project!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Oh, turning, I didn't think of that. I don't have a dolphin striker, but I do have a crossbar between the bows. I'm hoping that will provide enough moment to turn her if needed, assuming everything else is neutral.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:45 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

So here's what you do - tie the tow rope to the mast, and about 5' ahead of the mast in the rope tie a loop. Then attach another "steering" rope (which is a closed loop going around the boat) to the loop in the tow rope and around both sides of the boat through pulleys to the tiller of the Hobie.

So then check it out, if the Hobie starts going off to port, say, (or if the sloop turns to starboard) the tow rope will get closer to the starboard bow. That'll make the "steering rope" rotate around the boat a bit, and where it's attached to the tiller, it will move to port, thus moving the rudders and causing a turn to starboard to re-center the tow rope.

HA! HA! I'm a genius! :oops: