Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: painting
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 7:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a 73 blue H14.

I would like to paint it. I am not obsessed with the idea, but I figure the old doll could use a bit of paint to possibly protect the bottom of the hull.

Anyways I found a deal on some "Interlux Brightside Polurethane" Premium, Single part polyurethane # 4353 Medium Blue. (A couple of quarts.)

It says to clean up, sand, wash and prime and brush it on. I prefer to spray as I have a HVLP sprayer.

I am wondering if anyone has any thoughts on my adventure.

Am I wasting time? Will the hull be any better off? Will it help with abrasion resistance? Am I better served doing something else? Appreciate your thoughts.

Cheers Alan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 10:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I paint my H16 with marine paint brush on it came out beautiful but black was a bad choice. it got hot and warped the hulls. Sand brush and then light sand again turns out nice

Post subject: Help with Painting
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Check this great article on painting your boat from sailnet.com. I'm planning on painting my boat at the end of the season or this winter and this is how I plan on doing it. Good luck!

http://www.sailnet.com/collections/articles/index.cfm?articleid=caseyd008

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I used Interlux for the bottom job on my sloop. Make sure the paint is self-leveling so you don't get an orange-peel finish. You don't want to have to sand half of the paint back off. It's obviously for a marine application, and I think the polyeurethane is for UV resistance and hardness. I doubt it'll be much protection from what a cat hull deals with, but every little bit helps. It'll only be 10 mils thick at best, depending on how many coats you put on. Spraying will get you a better finish, but you won't get the save coverage surface area as if you brushed/rolled it on. It'll also make cleaning the sprayer more difficult because it's not water soluble. Also, if the color underneath it contrasts, you will see scratches, but will also know how deep those scratches are. As with everything concerning sailing, there are trade-offs. Good luck!