Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trailering a wave
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just bought a wave and new to the cats. What's the best way to trailer and tie down a wave. I don't have a box to store the sail and wanted some advice on the best way to transport the two masts, sail and other parts.
Thanks for all your help :D
Benjamin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I trailer my Wave on a trailer I purchased from the Hobie dealer with my Wave. It has a mast holder that allows me to keep the foot end of the mast hanging over the back of my van. So I just drop the mast, have someone hold the mast float, pull the pin that holds the mast on the base, and lift the bottom of the mast up into the mast holder. I tie a rope through the top of the mast and to the rear crossbar of the wave to keep the mast from sliding backwards. I also leave the rudders attached with the pins holding them up, but you have to use the split rings to lock the rudder pins in place (I have had the pins fall out while trailering, the rudder will drop into the sailing postion and does not have a lot of road clearance). I use bungie cords to pull the tillers forward so that the rudders do not swing out into traffic. For the sail, I roll it up, put it in its bag and tie the bag onto the trampoline using the hiking straps. The bag puffs up, but it stays there just fine while trailering. I even leave my paddle tucked under the sail and have not had it move at all while trailering.

Good Luck

Post subject: Take rudder off!!!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Please take your rudders off when you trailer. You will beat them to death and put LOTS of slop in the whole system. It is so nice to have only SLIGHT weather helm. You are killing the alignment. Trust me.

Doug Snell
Hobie 17 "Stress Free" #007
Mystere 43. #14p
Sunfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I can attest to the removing rudders while trailering, having learned the hard way. When I bought my hobie16 I didn't really know the first thing about them, especially little pointers like this. The area around where the rudder pin goes through the deck had been cracked up a little, likely from trailering with rudders on by myself and previous owners. It was noticable when I purchased it but I could tell it was becoming worse. I don't know exactly how the wave is but it is definately worth it to preserve performance if not the cosmetic look of the boat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Benjamin,

I trailered my Wave about 365 miles after picking it up a few days ago at www.sunjammers.com in Panama City.

The trailer I bought from Brad was made by Austin Machine Works. It has a mast carrier which allows me to keep the two mast pieces attached, and the trailer has 12" wheels. I cruised home at 60 mph, but I buzzed it up to 70 mph a couple of times just to see how it handled. No problems at all.

To keep the boat on the trailer, I used two black Hobie tie down straps that are made from the same material as a car seat belt. The main and jib sails come in a bag that I put inside my car. For the very short trip to the lake from where I keep my Wave, I will just bungee the rolled up sails to the tramp since I will not exceed 30 mph.

My rudders were also inside the car for the trip home, but will I leave them attached for the 4 mile trip to the lake since the road is very smooth and the speed is so low.

Tell us your first impressions of your new boat.

Loren

Post subject: ?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Loren:

Is is not the speed, BUT the vibration that will kill your rudders. It will wear out the holes of connection fast. 8 miles each trip will add up fast.

Did you get the book and DVD I suggested? Book will take three years off the learning curve. Send us pics when you have time and welcome to the Hobie Life. I may be off to Fla.

Just my 2 cents.

Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Doug,

I have the book, and many, many others. The Wave is not my first boat, just my first catamaran.

Thanks for the welcome to this group. It is nice to hang out with all of you cat sailors.

Loren

Post subject: Her too
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Loren:

Get on here too:

http://www.catsailor.com/forums/logout.php?Cat=0

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/beachcats/

Last one is a email forum.

Doug