Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

New AI owner, novice sailor. Sorry but I don't know all the correct terminology yet. Fairly strong wind today, when I sailed at 90 degrees to the wind direction, the boat would turn itself hard into the wind. I had to fight to keep the rudder straight, was very difficult.

Is this normal? Or what's the remedy? Does Hobie make a rudder control handle that's easier to grasp? I couldve used it today.

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Make sure you are steering as much with your sail as your rudder especially in stronger winds.

In light winds it's easy to force the boat to turn downwind with the rudder without also letting out the sheet-line (yellow line) but as you have found, in stronger winds the boat won't turn much till you adjust the sail correctly for you point of sail (direction compared to the wind).

Notice in the drawing below that the sail is almost the same compared to the wind on each side. It's the boat that changes. On the boat it's basically the further away from the wind you turn, the further out you allow the sail. It just takes some practice and our Islands are perfect to learn on. You'll be amazed how responsive the boat can be in stronger winds when you slowly let out some sheet-line (yellow line) while you turn downwind. Feels great!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:55 am 
Site Admin

You can reef the sail. You can reduce the dagger board depth... move the board more aft by pushing the handle forward.

Be sure the rudder is full down and locked.

What year model AI?

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The only time I experience that on my AI is when I forgot to use the daggerboard or I have not pulled the rudder line all the way out an cleated it.

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

“Out of sight of land the sailor feels safe. It is the beach that worries him.”
– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Surprisingly, none of the above very helpful answers has mentioned the simplest aid for you.

You will notice a small clear window in the sail, with red and green streamers. These (called telltails) are an extremely accurate instrument (seriously) designed to help you.

All you have to do is place the sail in the wind so both red and green telltails fly horizontally.

There are two slightly different situations. Going towards the wind.. and not lol

1. Going towards the wind.
As per the diagram above, you can't sail directly into the wind, so sail at about 40 degrees either side of the direction the wind is coming from. Tighten the mainsheet until the sail is pretty close to your head. Now see if you can keep those telltails streaming. Here is the "secret"! Steer the nose of your Island AWAY from the telltail which is not flowing (subtlety here, make small changes in direction). No doubt, you will start out zigzagging as you move past the perfect direction, but with practice, you will get "in the groove, where both telltails sit there like they are glued to the sail. DONE! :D :D :D :D :D :D

2. Pointing in any other direction.
Steer where you want to go, and then pull the mainsheet in or let it out until you get those pesky telltails streaming again. In this case, pull the sheet in if the telltail facing you isn't flowing; let it out if the one behind the sail isn't flowing. Again, make subtle adjustments.. you will soon get the hang of it.

That's it! You are now able to sail efficiently!

Now the last bit. Once you have the above under your belt, watch the lower (or leeward) aka, and adjust the furling of the sail by keeping that aka from being driven underwater. Having about 2 inches of aka above water on average is what you aim for.

Go out and enjoy yourself!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I had exactly the same Problem. Boat becomes totally uncontrollable in strong wind and turns into the wind long before the amas Show signs of submerging (there is a Name for this I don`t know in english). My hobie dealer told me to reef but this immediately took the fun out of it. I can`t quite understand why this is so. I know that boats do that when Banking away in the wind for various hydrodynamic and aerodynamic reasons (lateral Center moving aft etc) but in the case of the Hobie, the boat does not bank a lot and the draft resistance off the lee ama should turn the boat with the bow away from the wind. I think the rudder is too small and cavitates / stalles under Speed.
So far, I am living with the Problem but I never reach the Speeds that are shown in some of These Videos...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Reefing can be as little as 1/2 roll of the sail around the mast. I've always found the Hobie Islands to change greatly with even small adjustments of the sail, the rudder and/or the trim (weight distribution).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

vetgam wrote:
The only time I experience that on my AI is when I forgot to use the daggerboard or I have not pulled the rudder line all the way out an cleated it.

Greg, it doesn't happen with the AI but it common with the AI 2.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

In my opinion, sailing with too much sail exposed, causing the Island to lunge in and out of control, is not "fun"at all. The ability to furl the sail a little or as it is one of the greatest features of our vessels.

The very fastest my TI has ever gone was with the sail furled to the first batten. The thing went like a rocket, with the leeward ama just about level with the water. The front of the hull was almost invisible due to the airborne spray, and I got soaked.

I couldn't wipe the grin off my face for days....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Totally unrelated question (sort of), if I come off my hobie 16 and there is no one left on board, and the jib and main sail are cleated, will the boat turn into the wind and wait for me to come aboard?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Midway, tons of great suggestions here. I had exactly the same issue when I was just starting out, and it was simply me not locking the rudder down.

Doesn't look like you've had a chance to reply as yet, but hopefully it's that simple.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ludes wrote:
Totally unrelated question (sort of), if I come off my hobie 16 and there is no one left on board, and the jib and main sail are cleated, will the boat turn into the wind and wait for me to come aboard?

It may just turn into the wind, if strong, and then blow over due to no weight on board.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Ludes wrote:

I wouldn't count on the boat sitting there waiting for you. Depending on sail settings and why you fell off the boat it may just sail on without you. Even if the boat were to capsize, as long as it doesn't turn turtle (upside-down) it's not uncommon for the trampoline to act like a sail and have the boat to be blown away faster than you can swim.

2018 Tandem Island -

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

With any sailboat it is important to know how to depower the sail and to be able to do so quickly. This is something you can practice in 5-10 knots of wind so that when it is really blowing hard you know what to do. Even in very windy areas it is usually relatively calm in the morning and much windier in the afternoon.