Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rudder Gudgeons
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My wife just bought a used '05 Club model Wave. The rudder gudgeons are plastic and have what appears to be a non-adjustable kick-up system. It also has tiller arms that seem too short and are lacking the final eight or 10 inches where they curve back parallell with the deck. As a result, the main sheet system must mount in front of the tiller crossbar.

Did the previous owner cut down the tillers for some reason and is there some way to adjust the tension on this rudder kick-up system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am not sure about the Wave but I think that almost all cats have the main sheet in front of the tiller cross bar. You will get used to tossing the tiller around the back as you tack, it becomes really natural.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hello Stitus99,

Take a look at these images and tell us if your system is any different.

http://www.hobiecat.com/sailing/gallery ... =01&res=lr

Loren

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The newer boats have different rudder "castings" that require the crossbar to be behind the mainsheet because of the way the tiller swings up and down. I have added a short tiller extention to allow me to sit forward on the boat. I like this system because even my 11 year old niece can get the rudders locked down. The tiller connectors have also changed a few times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:10 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Sorry, it's not the gudgeons, it's the castings that hold the rudders and tiller. The style in the pictures is totally different. There is no tiller extension, though I man install one in which case the current setup will work. I sail an H20 so I'm not worried about transferring the tiller extension on each tack, but my kids (5 and 7 years) are just learning to sail and I'd like to make it easy for them.

I'm more concerned about the rudder "castings." There is no adjustment for the rudder kick-up systems and the castings are pretty flexible and cheap looking. Does anyone have any experience with these? I'll attach a picture later of the current system.

Post subject: Latest
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:39 am 
Site Admin

You have the latest stuff. The rudder system is called EZ Loc. Much easier to deal with than the original castings and cams. Simple adjustments can be made to the lock down tension by tightening the main rudder bolt through the housing.

The tiller arms had to be a little shorter than the original Wave system and are now behind the sheets, but you can still sail easily by just holding the tiller arm and the connection point. For most sailors this will be very easy. You can add a hiking stick if you really want to, but it is not necessary.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks, Matt, you answered my question.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Two quick thoughts,

1) If you install a tiller, the yoke is on the diagonal (rudders down) to allow the tiller to rest on the tramp when the crossbar and rudders are up. This places the tiller yoke on the front/diagonal of the tiller crossbar when the rudders are down. It looks strange, but it works.

2) The new rudder housings (castings) are strong. Matt Miller personally stress tested my boat (he will have to elaborate). Before his "test", I was flying hulls around Mission Bay in 20+ kts doing slam tacks and jibes. I weighed in at about 285 at the time so I am a good stress tester as well. Yes, you can fly a hull on the wave at 285, but pitch polling is a real possiblility. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

One last note,
My three and five year olds are also taking the tiller. A little practice and a carbon tiller (light) help with the transfer around the mainsheet.

by the way, going to the 20 nationals in Alameda?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the tips. As for H20 Nationals in Alameda, I have crew lined up who will sail with me all season and can make Nats, but I'm still unsure about my schedule. I won't know for sure until late May.

Do you have any pictures of the tiller extension you've mounted to your Wave?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:10 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

One other question:

There are two stainless crews in threaded inserts molded into the hulls about 18 inches back from where the side stays attach to the hull. What are these for?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Titus, you better stick to the Wave, 'cause I am gonna kick your ass all over the lake on the 20 this year.

Post subject: Kickin' ass on the wave
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yea, well, I guess you'll have a chance against me if I sail on the Wave, but only if I spot you half a leg to A mark.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yea? Well your mom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:08 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

OK, fine, I'll have my mom on board and I'll still spot you half a leg to A mark.