Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 6:11 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Fishing in a Hobie Tandem Island can be a bit tricky if there is no team work. While traveling to a destination trolling for fish in the Hobie Tandem Island makes for great fishing while sailing.

The role of the navigator, the navigator sits in the front seat because the tools are there. The navigator furls the sail in while trolling to slow down the boat for the passenger to start the “fishing battle”; he also peddles the mirage drive to keep the passenger’s fishing line to one side of the boat for easy fish landing. When the fish battle is over, the navigator opens back up the sail, puts down the dagger board, and starts the sailing and trolling process all over again.

The role of the passenger, the passenger sits in the back seat and tends to the trolling rods. While trolling the passenger will bait up the trolling rods, and in a full strike the passenger will wait for the boat to slow down then start the fishing battle. Sometimes the passenger helps to peddle for a sharper turning of the boat.

Fishing in the Hobie Tandem with another person is very fun; you use team work to achieve your goals. When there is no wind to blow your sail, you have an extra person to help you peddle the mirage drive turbo fins. With two people peddling, you get to save on energy and the boat travels at a good rate in speed. There is also someone there to talk to, sometimes in the open ocean talking will pass the time if the fishing is slow. Make your day a Hobie day! Tight Lines!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

pardon my ignorance, but what are the big white bags on the port side? thanks in advance and regards, mick

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have had the pleasure of fishing with this Living Waters. The guy is a fishing machine. That's him in the second to last pic. Seriously, a legend around these parts. Taught me how it's done.

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

“Out of sight of land the sailor feels safe. It is the beach that worries him.”
– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That's a catch bag filled with ice. We don't line fish at all, but we do spear fish sometimes, mostly in the keys (where we can choose from the delicious menu (lol)). The problem for us in the Keys is all the water is shark infested (shark capital of the world). When we go in the water, from first kill to when we are surrounded by a half dozen sharks circling us is around 30 minutes. We used to keep mesh kill bags tied to us, (needless to say they get stolen quickly). Now we keep several (cleaned and washed) mesh bags with baggies in them, when we get something (not very often lol), we put it in the mesh bag, fill the baggie with our regulator, then float it up for someone above (usually me) to scoop them up and put the fish on ice, in either a big cooler or one of those bags. In the ocean we can't leave anything in the water, and in the hot Florida heat, pretty much anything goes bad in a couple hrs. Actually we don't even keep the fish cooler or catch bag on the boat (too dangerous). We have an inflatable 4 person boat (dingy) with 650 lbs capacity that we tow behind our TI about 20 ft behind us (you can't hardly tell it's even back there when underway),
we keep extra scuba tanks, gear, ice chests, etc, in the dingy, leaving us with more capacity on the TI. We found getting too many people and too much gear on the TI itself slows us all down, (The TI kind of a dog when severely overloaded, even with twin big ole outboards and massive sailsets), when they say 600 lbs, they mean 600 lbs (lol))

It's pretty important to not let the blood drip in the water from your tramps, scupper holes and stuff, or you will have bull sharks bumping your tramps with their nose (I'm very scared of the Bull sharks, they seem to be very aggressive, and have no fear of us).

I always talk about us being the worlds worst fishermen, and lobster hunters (in season), we really really suck at it.
I'm also pretty certain I'm the worlds worst sailer (I simply don't do well at 3 mph, (just sayin, (ie... former hydroplane racer))).
But whenever we go out we have an absolute blast, when we get back we always have a huge fish fry, crab or lobster boil, and invite dozens of friends over. Lol you can't feed a dozen people with two 13 inch snappers, or five 1 lb lobsters so I always stop at the fish market on the way home, and we always have a blast and talk about the ones that got away (usually all of them (lol)). Crab hunting for us with crab baskets stacked up on the tramps is a total comedy of errors, apparently the crab around here don't like chicken, and you don't want to invite a dozen people to a crab boil, then show up with one blue crab (just sayin), but we do have a lot of fun.

I just love your rig. I'm really surprised more offshore guys haven't figured out that the TI is the ultimate fish slayer out there today.

My next big thing is I'm hoping someone on here is going to help me figure out the best darn side scan sonar system I can get (and how to hook it up), then we are goin out looking for spanish gold, ship wrecks and such. I know we will will never find a darn thing, but plan to have an absolute blast just cruisin around the keys, hunting and diving around. We just love our TI, but you do have to be a little careful down here, local knowledge is pretty important (where you can go safely), because it can get darn dangerous in the keys, I suspecting any open ocean sailing in these really small boats can get dangerous quickly, that's why I always say, know your specific boats real (not imagined) capabilities.
Ho ho "it's the Hobie life for me"..... (sung in a pirates of the Caribbean accent)

FE

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I do just the opposite. I sit in the back seat and run just about everything as if I was solo, including motor. All the passenger does is bring in the fish from the front seat. By bringing the fish (unless a really big monster) in thru the back or side of the TI, I can land the fish without collapsing an ama. Sometimes I will have the front passenger (if capable) do the furling or operate the downrigger.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Here is a video i did back in 2013 showing great fishing team work on the TI. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJFmiKtCtTw