Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have black (I think EPO) rudders on my H18. The sitcker that says EPO is very faded and may even have been painted over. From what I can see it says EPO and has the number 864 on them in large number.

I have two questions regarding these rudders:
First, the place where the set screw that is used to adjust the rake contacts the rudder has a hole in the rudder (both of them). Is this hole suppose to be there or is it just that the screw has punctured the rudder. If it is not suppose to be there does anyone have a suggestion how I can repir it so that it does not happen again.

Second, the surface of the rudders is very faded and I can see the fibres of the glass (it seems white in colour) exposed on about 30% of the surface. What is the best matrial and process to repair this.

If this description is not clear enough please let me know and I will try and attach pictures of both cases so that you can see what I am talking about. But someone will have to tell me how to do that as so far I have only seen how to link to a picture that is someplace on the web.

Thanks to the group. This forum is great.

Post subject: EPO
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sounds like you have a fine old set of EPOs... fibers showing and the sticker are telltale signs. To double check and make sure they are, place the tip on the ground while holding the head in your hand and stick your knee right in the middle of the blade and put some weight on it. If it bends it's not an EPO. To bring them back to new, fair them with an epoxy/graphite mixture. Depending on how bad they are, I thicken the first few coats to fill voids and scratches. I use high density filler in the places where foam is showing or larger holes. With a little patience you can make them look like new again. The sticker will have to come off, but that's alright. I like to use a roller when I apply the epoxy, but a foam brush works fine as well. I tried spraying it one time as an experiment, didn't work at all. It didn't cover, wrecked my gun and got strings of epoxy all over everything in a 20 foot radius.
PS. This is slightly off topic, but If you're ever shooting gelcoat, I found the homeowners secret. For $9.99 at Kragen auto you can buy a cheap touch up gun that shoots gel pefectly!! If the pot hardens, toss it and go get another one. It's way better than thrashing my $300 pro gun and I get the same results.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the reply Jeremy. You are right about them not bending, so thanks for the confirmation on the EPO. This make is worth my while to fix them up.

What about the little hole, any suggestions on how to repair that. Should I embed a metal stifner in there to prevent it from hapening again. Or is the hole suppose to be there. Or is good epoxy in the hole enough (I just don't want any plug I put in the hole to get driven farther into the foam making the hole even bigger.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

For you small hole use epoxy resin and mix in some high density filler. Over the years it will probably were down again, but the high density stuff will slow the process. Be sure not to have any airpockets at the point of repair or it will not last. I don't see any reason to beafen it up more than that. You could also use aluminum powder to add some strength but it is probably overkill.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would add that, in my experience.......

1. The set screw doesn't do much if anything, anyway.....just remove it from the lower casting.

2. The epoxy/graphite coating will eventually fade if left in the sun (looks bad and will rub the black stuff off on everything). Once you've gone to the trouble of getting the EPOs right, consider a set of covers (check eBay?). Also, consider topcoating with one part "epoxy" appliance spray paint which is easy and fairly cheap to reapply every few years as necessary. I'm much happier with the way the finish holds up since I took both of these inexpensive measures.

Take care of those rudders...they're good as gold!

Jerome Vaughan
Hobie 16
Clinton, Mi'sippi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes, remove the plastic set screw from the rudder casting. I glued a piece of thin rubber where the EPO contacted the front of the casting. Tune the cams & lock down & you will have a great feel from the rudder system.

1987 Hobie Holder 20 #273

dale.vanlopik"at"att"dot"net

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Adrio:

I am thinking of doing this to my 86 Hobie 17 :?: . Old EPO's are worth there weight in gold. :D :) 8)

http://www.thebeachcats.com/OnTheWire/h ... /tip29.htm

Definitely get covers. I put them on everytime before I put them in the sailbox. They are worth protecting.

Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Can I use "bondo" fiberglass repair putty to fix dings, dents, ect. on my EPO rudders?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I would not use bondo. Instead mix up some west system epoxy and thicken with high density filler and graphite poweder. If you want an easier mix use Marine Tex. You probably still should mix in some graphite powder with the marine tex.

Post subject: repair
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Use the black marinetex to repair EPO's. It is just a shade lighter in color and bonds perfectly. Get rid of the screw and fill the hole.

If you sand them down to get rid of the threads, paint them black so they don't oxidize any more. Black spray appliance paint (one part epoxy)