Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mahi Mahi
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 6:52 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Post your Mahi pics here.

Here's my first from Sunday.

And yesterdays 20 pounder. Not color. Beautiful!!

Aloha

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 9:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Two thumbs up. So Dan now that your retired you decided to become a commercial fisherman? Soon you will have to take a floating basket to hold the fish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 7:38 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Well I'm now up to a 40lb bull! Note kill spear through head.

Note: Had to move the ice chest as a preliminary move to get the fish into the tank well.

Here's another perspective. Fortunately the young fishing fan was not bait. Looks like the mahi could have handled him.

Last edited by AlohaDan on Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Congrats mahi man.
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 2:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

You are totally the mahi man. Fish is awesome; spear and spear work impressive as the fish.

How do you know where to spear the fish?

How do you secure the fish to the boat?

How do you protect the fish from being sun-broiled?

What is the section of pool noodle being used for?

Is this fish a product of any new trolling stuff?

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 10:07 am 
Hobie Team Member

Stockton

When you bring the fish alongside they will generally be exhausted and on thier side. Spear them in the head generally above the eye and in the case of the bull mahi more forward.

One of my gripes about the Adventure, and most other yaks also is the lack of internal storage for fish. See my rants and suggestions on the Hobie forum at KFS.

So what I do now is stuff them in a coffee sack along with some ice packs from the cooler. Then secure them uder the bungee in the tank well.

This is mickey mouse because I can generally only stay out another 45-60 minutes before having to beach to avoid frying the fish. An internal system out of the sun with a fish bag should be available. What if I'm on a long trip? I'm screwed. Only some of the South African models have access to internal storage to do this.

Next best thing for an Adventure might be an external fish bag. But that's being hit by sun, so not sure how much time it would provide. 2+ hours? If the sack can hold a icey brine solution maybe 3+. I'm looking at different models now. Pricey.

Also possibly some method of getting to forward hatch easier. Right now you generally have to pull the drive to make it acceptable. Think of trying to wrestle this monster into Adventure forward compartment. Definitely don't want to do it while in the water! Hence my proposal to cut the depth of th tank well way down (raise it to the height of the back of seat cockpit and install a LARGE hatch immediately behind the angler. Do away with scupper holes and use side slit for drainage like the Dorado. This gives access to the internal storage. Note the tank well still has a shallow depression for anchoring air tanks or whatever, but the redesign is very specific to ocean fishing versus trying to be an all around platform.

The pool noodle section is the sea anchor marker if I have to let it go. Still haven't faced the problem of a hookup and anchor out at the same time. Suspect that will be the case at the end of a fight as the fish gets closer, although in simulated tests I have been able to haul it in pretty quick with one hand.

Leaves a mess though for potential entanglement at the close, hence noodle float solution.

This fish and others caught on local bait fish 'opelu. Try trolling yours with a chin weight. Will make your bait "swim" better. Another hint that applies to 'opelu, and possibly your bait. Ice them in brine before freezing ( I individually wrap in saran wrap and close ends with bread ties) for future use. Keeps color better and firms up flesh.

Post subject: More details and ideas
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 10:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Great details!

I hope to boat and take home large striped bass, white sea bass, halibut, etc. that raise the same fish storage concerns. Seems to me you need a removable system to avoid fish blood, etc. taking up permanent residence in the boat.

How about a rock-solid-clamped- in super insulated ice chest / storage container taking up most of the tank well / behind seat area? As you write, the tank well would have to invade into the hull space below the current level to have a workable center of gravity.

Maybe Hobie could build the hull and a “standardâ€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:06 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Forgot to update with this November catch off Mahukona. Pic had been in a cheapie water proof camera. Click on images if you want to see the larger image.

Thing pretty dead in January. But then last week:

Hey get that knife outtahere!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 2:06 am 
Hobie Team Member

Here's the latest including some underwater shots with my Optio 20.

Dfferent fish, about half the size of the above:

Similar shot to first fish

A new species of Mahi Mahi Hobie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:39 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Well I have been on the road, etc.

But here's the latest. Got this 17 lb cow week after the Tiger hit me ( http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=7422 )

I clearly need camera coaching. Also to catch a fish with Reggie around as I don't think the lap shot stuff works too good. What do you guys do when alone? BTW these are posted on Image shack and may take some time to load. The site is slooow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:06 am 
Hobie Team Member

Picked up a cow at South Point this past Sunday. She made some nice jumping runs. Couple of mahlolo (flying fish) jumped out of their jocks as she went by.

First a little color:

Then my usual foul up trying to use my underwater Optio 20. One of these days will capture the whole fish.

The ending. Again I haven't solved the fish in lap angle. Any suggestions? And as you can also tell my buddy Reggie wasn't along (Re pics by him in first post)

I gave half away to some guys camping on the beach when they helped me with the yak. Was so tired I forgot to weigh it, but am guessing 14-15 lbs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:28 am 
Hobie Team Member

Test

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:04 am 
Site Rank - Captain

AlohaDan wrote:

Again I haven't solved the fish in lap angle. Any suggestions?

Here is one:
http://www.funjax.com/tripod.htm

The monopod fits in the mast hole. Easily used to take a picture of your self holding a fish. :lol: I don't think that will work for you. Your fish are a little too large :!: But you can pull it out of the mast hole and hold it above your head to get a better angle to take picture. The one I have pictured is at the correct height to be used to rest you rod tip on and still pedal in a Revolution

Last edited by FunJax on Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:55 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Thanks. Gave me an idea I'll try shortly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

YW! let me know how your version works out. I may have to make some changes to mine :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:43 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Aloha Dan... How about one of those insulated fish storage bags for the bow of the Yak. Triangle shaped, they strap down. KFS Carries them, and I know a local who swears by them, and keeps Redfish in one for hours in the South Carolina July Sun with blue ice blocks...

You could get some dry ice, and cover it with a wet towel... Place the dry ice in the above bag, and keep the Mahi ice cold for days.

Of course, someone could designs a towable kayak shaped Ice Cooler, and make it of th same material they make the seven day coolers the deep sea charter captains use... Hmmmmm...

YotF