I found this while surfing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

http://www.alamedainfo.com/Alameda_Photos.htm

How is this for a nationals site. It looks well worth the drive to me.

See you all there. :)

Post subject: H20
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hammond, Good find. If you turn 180 deg from the kite board shot there's a jetty, then the bay bridge, then the SF cityfront, and off in the distance the Golden Gate. It's a pretty nice place to sail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Like this:
Don't believe the hype about high summer wind and boat breaking conditions, that kind of talk played a role in crushing a potentially awesome regatta last summer. The truth is, you just never know.
Summer bay sailing off of Crown Beach in 2003.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

An Around TI race should be added. That'll make the regatta interesting and a little bit different.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've raced major Hobie events twice in the bay. I really look forward to racing there again.

Hobie 18 Nationals 1984 (crewing for Matt Miller, 9th place) off the city front and Alcatraz in SF and the Hobie 16 nationals at Coyote Point with Todd Hitch in 1987 (placed 12th). Each race blew well, but never out of control.

I looked up historic wind for 5 years running from Oakland data. It looks like the mornings start off dead calm, start at about 9:00AM WNW and build to 10 kts fast, clocking to the NW peak at about 2:30 PM at 15 kts and begin to shut off at 4:00 PM. Typical evening off shore wind. This looks a lot like clock work from the historical data. Enough wind to be fun, less windy than the city front or Coyote Point (just south of the SF airport). Can any locals up there verify this.

Todd and I capsized twice at the weather mark at the 16 nationals. The first capsize was caused when the main traveler was tangled and Todd couldn't travel out, the second time I stayed out too long on the wire and as I came in, the boat hit a wave, stopped, I swung forward and hit the mast and it was all over. When the first capsize happened, I looked back at Todd and he just looked at me with a funny look and said "sorry". The second capsize, I unfortunately returned the favor. :cry: We lost many boats the first time, but were better the second time because we didn't also have to reround. I think the race with the first capsize was our throwout.

The other question I had is current. Both prior races really were influenced by strong current. What is it like on the Alameda side of the bay? I am guessing far less influence because its so far from the typical flow. Can any locals up there clew us in?

I think the Tiger sailors all became a little (a lot) gun shy because of Santa Barbara. When sailors like Jeff Alter head to the closest down wind beach because it is deamed safer rather than sailing upwind to the launch a mile plus up wind, you know it is really something. I am not sure if the sailors were worried about a blow out or just looking for something a lot more mild with more sure tactics. It would have been an expensive week if the sailors were forced to sit it out due to high winds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Bay is pretty consistant but there are times where it can really pipe up. The last year Fleet 20 ran the Roaring 20s' at Coyote Point it got up to over 40 knots by 10 AM Saturday. It was so bad the Boston Whaler mark boat couldn't make it out of the harbor to retrieve the marks. Sunday was predicted to be the same so we got in one early race and called it a weekend.

It always seems like the heavy wind is in the central bay bounded by the Golden Gate and Bay Bridges. Alameda should be nice and it'll be warm. You'll be able to watch the fog pour over the SF hills while slapping on sun screen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hammond wrote:
I looked up historic wind for 5 years running from Oakland data. It looks like the mornings start off dead calm, start at about 9:00AM WNW and build to 10 kts fast, clocking to the NW peak at about 2:30 PM at 15 kts and begin to shut off at 4:00 PM. Typical evening off shore wind. This looks a lot like clock work from the historical data. Enough wind to be fun, less windy than the city front or Coyote Point (just south of the SF airport). Can any locals up there verify this.

I live in Oakland which borders Alameda, and your assessment from historical data is mostly correct - 4:00 is about the time the wind from the west peaks, but it doesn't change direction to off shore. In my amateur experience, the winds are powered by the cool ocean air rushing in through the Golden Gate and over the lower portions of the SF penninsula to displace the hot inland air as it rises (summer time temperature difference between SF and Orinda, CA (15 miles apart as the crow flies) can be as much as 35 F on the same day). As the sun sets the temperature balance is restored between the ocean and the SF Bay basin and the winds slow, but they don't really shift.

These winds which make for glorious sailing conditions also make for very cool nights and evenings, so for those who are unfamiliar with summer weather here, bring warm clothes as the temperature can drop to the high 50's bayside at night.

Hammond wrote:
The other question I had is current. Both prior races really were influenced by strong current. What is it like on the Alameda side of the bay? I am guessing far less influence because its so far from the typical flow. Can any locals up there clew us in?

The current is not strong at Alameda's Crown Memorial Beach because the bay is fairly wide there, unlike the Golden Gate which is narrow like a bottleneck through which ALL the water must pass.

Another benefit of racing Alameda instead of SF is far less boat traffic - no huge tankers, container ships, ferries, or day sailors to contend with. However, the beach is a popular windsurfing and kitesurfing spot.

One last thing, if anyone has the time I can recommend sailing the lee side of manmade Treasure Island. The island is just north of the Bay Bridge directly in the path of the ferocious Golden Gate winds, but the island acts as a breakwater, so you get all the wind without the waves - the water is nearly glass. The conditions can be very deceiving, though, since you can't see gusts coming by looking at the water.

Last edited by Skipshot on Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Right on Skipshot! You going to get a 20 and race with us on your home court? The bay is shallow there so the larger boats stay out. A few weeks back we did a practice race there and I was dropping anchor in about 15 feet of water. The wind can pipe up for sure, but that's when a committee has the option of pulling the plug! The current can influence things, there was a 2kt current running on our practice sail weekend. Nothing like the central bay when I've been out in 7kts of current after a rain and an ebb. It's going to be a great event!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Quote:
I looked up historic wind for 5 years running from Oakland data. It looks like the mornings start off dead calm, start at about 9:00AM WNW and build to 10 kts fast, clocking to the NW peak at about 2:30 PM at 15 kts and begin to shut off at 4:00 PM.

This is accurate. There are no offshore winds in the evening here.

The wind in this area tends to go in three or four day cycles. The valley heats up and this brings the wind. After a 3-4 days the valley cools a bit and the wind backs off for 3-4 days. The difference is perhaps 5-10 Kts variation.
This is the mild side of the bay, we generally have 5-10 kts less wind than the central bay or the west bay (Coyote Point area).

There will be wind for this event, but not neccesarily the high winds the central bay is known for.

There can be up to a 2 knot current. When it is flooding the water will be very flat, when it is ebbing it can be choppy, not enough chop to hurt you just enough to add a thrill now and again. The tides are very favorable for the event with High tide during the afternoon all week.

I hope to see you all there. :D

George

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If anyone needs crew for their 20.

Please let me know, we have several people from our catamaran racing group, who have been unable to get on 16s because they are too heavy, but would be perfect weight for a 20 crew.

Several of them even have experiance on Tigers, and I-20s

Thanks,

Brent Hendricks
Catamaran Racing Group