Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Pin and wire failure
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:14 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I had three shroud failures, all on Getaways. The first was old, original (with the dot) rigging on a boat that was rarely sailed but sat with the mast up since 2002.

Yep... from an earlier post:

mmiller wrote:
Shroud wear / failures on a Getaway can be accelerated due to the freely rotating mast. Constant rotating back and forth will wrap the wires around the mast and off again.

Biggest cause of accelerated wear is mooring on the water or left on the beach for long periods without restraining the mast rotation.

and the next question was:

Quote:
they don't carry standard sizes for the getaway

Salty dog is not authorized Hobie dealer. That would be the reason they do not have stock lengths. Contact an authorized Hobie Dealer for the factory parts.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I used Joel at Murrays to make my custom, oversized shrouds. They are the next size up from stock and there were no compatibility issues. He needed my specific dimensions for the Getaways and after stretching they're a little too long - lesson learned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:31 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I want/need to keep my Getaway on the hook from time to time, but I hate seeing the mast swing wildly back and forth.

One easy solution would be to attach a rotation arm and locking it to one of the wings with a stiff bungee. Has anyone done this? Which rotation arm did you use (H17, H18)?

I'm thinking about getting an H17 rotation arm (31210001) and mounting it forward with a stiff bungee when I have to keep my Getaway on the hook.

Thoughts?

Last edited by xavier on Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I leave the mast up all the time during the summer on my 2003 and keep her pointed in the perdominant wind direction. Contacted my hobie dealer and they do not offer updated sizes of shrouds. Hence have to go aftermarket. However it does look like the shrouds on a Getaway are thicker than a 16. They look like 1/8".
Ordered a new mast ball since the old one turned into a constant sqeeker.

Post subject: Rotation
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:53 am 
Site Admin

The constant rotation, in the water or on dry land is an issue. Even straight into the wind, the mast will move from side to side at times and especially at higher wind speeds.

I don't think a rotator arm is required. I visited a rental outfit in the Caribbean this winter that set their Getaways out in the water each day on a mooring. They were VERY careful to lock the rotation to one side. This simply requires a line anchored to the mast and wrapped around the mast a few times. Then forcing the rotation and tying off to one side.

(Correction)

Getaway wires are NOT the same gauge as Hobie 16. Hobie 16's are 1/8". The Getaway uses 5/32" (Larger gauge wire) stock.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Last edited by mmiller on Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:26 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks Matt. I like KISS solutions :D

Post subject: broken shroud, bummer!!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Just been reading your shroud story. My getaway is over 3 years old and the shrouds are still going strong, I have only had to replace 1 bridle wire so far but that's my fault for sailing in 30 knots of wind! Hope the engineers don't freak!
My boat is de rigged every day and gets about 3 months of use per season, after this she is packed up and stored for the really long Tasmanian winter!!! Too darn long I might add!!!!
I agree with the hobie guys about replacing rigging every 2-3 years regardless, I always did this with my cobra and nacra and never had any problems whatsoever, and does make you feel a bit safer.
Well, it's the end of the season for my getaway and she will have new hobie shrouds before next season, they are expensive by the time they get to tasmania but you know they are top quality!
And by the way, I sail my getaway without the front tramp and wings, she really performs like this and I would be interested to know what the yardstick would be like this?
And I hope you are also pushing hobie to design spinnaker kit for us getaway sailors, there is a real need for one!
From Tasmania's only getaway sailor!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Personally i like the mast not tied off. Seems like alot more vibration and noise when it can't rotate into the wind. Usually keep the Haylard tied off the mast to avoid banging as well. Lesser of two evils I guess. Especaially with the big bob on top. Ordered factory shrouds today. I did want oversized ones but not going to take measurements off my old lines. Is there a reason why the forestay is almost twice as expensize as the shrouds?

I used to not worry about changing lines until 2 shroud failures and one bolt failure on my old 16s, now its just cheap insurance. Some days its not always onshore winds.

THis year the wings on my boat are coming off as well.
Our front tramp is already off to punch through the surf and when the swell gets choppy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The front shroud is more expensive because of the swaging used on it, you should see how much just one bridle wire cost me by the time it got to Tasmania!!
And you will enjoy the boat without the wings I guarauntee it, oh, and the sad news is that hobie have no plans for a kite kit but cah modify a h16 kit.
From Tasmania's only getaway sailor.

Post subject: Re: Rotation
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
Getaway wires are the same guage as Hobie 16. Yes, 1/8"

I think Matt should look at the wires specs again :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:35 am 
Site Admin

Busted...

Yep, I was wrong on that, 5/32" guage wires are used stock on the Getaway. Thanks for pointing out the error Steve.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

My 16 had the upgraded 5/32 wires and never had a problem, did have the mast stops though. There was a rotation prevention casting on the 21 SC that bolted to the cross beam. Could this be used on the getaway?
The 21SC had a straight front cross beam and also had a dolphin striker that looked like it could be modiified as well if it ever needed it.

The 16 also had those twist shackles on the bottom of the shrouds that probably helped as well.

I also added a ring ding with a hole in the screw part for saftey wire at the lower forestay connection. always seemed to get loose when I would check it.