Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Getaway Boat Cover
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

A

Last edited by TPresail on Tue Aug 15, 2023 11:10 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I had alot of trouble with this cover, I store my boat on the trailer fairly level and never gave a thought to rain. The first time it rained I had a tremedous amount of water pooling ontop of the cover stretching my tramps. I have since purchased a 20 X 8 "garage tent" It cost less than the cover I leave the sides on in the winter and remove them in the summer and I don't have to worry about the weight of snow or rain on the boat.

Craig

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That's what I did when I got my new getaway, I got the portable garage from Costco for $99.00, I put the car in it during the summer when I go to the lake because I have a special lift set up in the lake for the boat. At the end of the season I put the boat in the canvas garage and for get about it. Its great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I got the cover( Silver reflective tarp material ) from Hobie and found it to be lacking. If you want one, mine has never been on the boat and I would sell it cheap. A large tarp from the hardware store works just as well if not better. Also, storing your boat with the mast up may not be the best idea. The constant sway can lead to rigging wear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:10 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Like pejnielsen I got the Hobie cover and found it lacking. The velcro strips don't stay attached very long and the covers flies off the boat.

I've had issue with water pooling in the tarp also, but this was quickly resolved with a couple of 2" dia holes cut in the center of each section. The covers were most likely designed with the sunny climes of southern Cal in mind, not the downpours of the NW :(

Yet, the Getaway cover while not perfect is not too bad either. It needs to be a little longer to actually cover the bows. The next cover I get (or make) will simply be in two parts (instead of trying to get a single cover that works around the mast). The velcro striped can be thrown away or re-purposed until someone finds a better way of attaching them to the covers. I think I'll add grommets at the ends of the pieces that join together and some quick lashing to keep it all together.

I just bought a 20' x 12' silver tarp that I'm going to experiment with. I'll let you know what I end up with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

pejnielsen,
Is your boat cover still available?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I think that the cover is junk. After one season the bungy cords hooks are all broken. The straps have ripped off. Water is always on my boat. Don't waste your money!

Post subject: Getaway Boat Cover
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I messed with a tarp this winter - didn't work out very well. When you can get it to stay on the water puddles on it. Yes tried making a tent with mast but it eventually sags. I bought a 26 ft. x 10 ft. canopy tent and it's perfect. Just purchased the enclosure kit to use during winter months.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Sorry TSail I am trying to use the cover. After this season, I am going to use it as a template, research materials and make my own. I do not have the option of the canopy, so a cover it will be. I have done this before with RVs. I will keep the group updated with my progress. I saw a SUNBRELLA cover on a boat next to mine and will look at using it as the material of choice. As far as pooling goes, when in storage it is a good idea to make sure the trailer or boat is NOT level. That way the water can be drained off . some thing place under the tramp to tent it up slightly would also help.

Post subject: Re: Getaway Boat Cover
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I had the silver cut-to-fit Getaway cover. It came with velcro and long bungees. It didn't work very well - the stick-on velcro releases in the hot sun. I cut slits in the cover after the first rain storm sagged the tramps horribly.
If I store the boat lakeside this summer, I'm going to make a cover out of canvas, cutting slits to allow water to drain, and going to put in grommets to tie it down to sand anchors. That'll both hold the cover on, and hold the boat down in a windstorm.

Too many canoes and kayaks

Post subject: Re: Getaway Boat Cover
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:43 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

You can make your own for 30 bucks. It probably wont last more then a year, but it seems to be holding up nicely so far.

http://utahsummersailing.blogspot.com/2 ... chive.html