Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hi all
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I got a new Wave this past September and have been waiting all winter to get it back out.

I have really enjoyed this forum having learned many ways to improve the boat in small ways. The traveler kit sounds like the best so far, besides the hooter system, but that is just little too much for now.

I love this boat because it can go on the roof of my truck with my travel trailer on the back and spend a week on the beach teaching my kids to sail.

I am looking forward to sharing with you all.

Cheers!!!

Post subject: Hows car top transport?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm in the market for a wave and happened to read your post. It sounds like we are in a similar situations. I want to teach my son to sail and am looking for a first boat. How easy is the Wave to car top transport? I would be sailing on local lakes and take week long and weekend trips to beaches around North Carolina. Travel time to beaches 2.5 - 3 hours. Can I do without the trailer?

Post subject: Hi All
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:02 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

You can do without a trailer. But I would think that its a whole lot easier if you trailer the Wave. Once you arrive at your site: step the mast and hoist the sail and you are ready to go! Those two steps take about 5-10 minutes depending upon how slow you are moving that day.

Post subject: Thanks for the input
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:12 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm sure the trailer is much quicker, but it brings additional storage problems with it. Thanks for the input, I may need to just bite the bullet and spring for a trailer.

Post subject: Hi all
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Michael,

I do understand the storage issues. I actually store my boat somewhere other then my house.

Perhaps some users who cartop their Waves can pipe in on this conversation. Matt Miller, have you cartopped a Wave?

Lisa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I car top because I take the boat with an 8000lb travel trailer hitched to the back of my Excursion. The car top is fine it is not bad getting the boat on the roof of my nearly 7 foot high truck by myself. As far as rigging goes I can have the boat set up in 30 min. tops by myself and that is having done it only two times so far. It comes apart as fast and is easy to rig. I am looking at some of the rigging this spring to see where I might adapt a few things to help speed it up a little more. I will update with new info as I get it.

I love this boat because it is SOOOOO easy. My 8 year old is already chomping at the bit to get out sailing and wants to learn to helm this summer. As far as car topping I would get a good rof rack and good tie downs. The other thing I am getting this spring to help is a set of beach wheels to manuver the boat once it is rigged. I am going to rig a mini tow bar to use if I have to ramp launch it ever and use the beach wheels to get it down the ramp.

If you have a lrge vehicle I don't see why it would not work, my truck is 20 feet long so the hulls are shorter thsn the truck and the mast when broken down is too.

I will post a picture of it on my truck I just need to figure out how.....

Good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

[img]http://us.f556.mail.yahoo.com/y5/s/viewphoto?show=largephoto&folderid=%2540S%2540Search&mid=1_13594_1_55389_0_AO46vs4AAOToRP7UHwaNWm6baPU&partid=5&name=100_0173.jpg&size=384000&search=1[img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

:? Oh well can't seem to get the photo posted. It has the boat on th eroof after a quick tie down for the short (1 block) drive from the beach to the campsite.

I will try again tommorow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The only two limitations to car topping are the rack and getting the boat on top. Make sure the rack is rated for the weight. Tie the boat down both side to side and front and back.

Post subject: Thanks ILhobie, Hammond
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the input,

I believe my Isuzu Trooper is big enough to handle the boat. Is your rack a standard square flat or is it more customized?

How many peices does the wave break down into?

I'd be interested to see the photo, but don't spend to much time on it :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have th club ersion with the three peice tramp. I only put the hulls and mast on the roof. The bars that hold the tramp fit in the back of the truck, or in the travel trailer depending on what else I have.

Putting it together is simply sliding the bars into each hull, sliding the tramp up the track on each side, lacing it up and then stepping the mast. the parts are:

Hulls (2)
bars (2)
mast (2 pieces)
rudders (2)
tiller arm (1)
tramp pieces (2)
rigging and sail which are all bagged.

I use a flat bar rack with some heavy foam padding under (left over from my windsurfing days) and then straps on the bows and sterns of the hulls. They don't twist at all even with out strappng from the bow to the front of the truck.

Good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

It looks like thats the way I'll start out. Now I just need to find the boat :)

I found what looks like a Standard Wave in Melbourne FL. about 30 min. from where my parents have retired. I may grab that while we are there on spring break next week.

If I'm understanding things correctly the standard version has quicker clips for the bow attachments and a one piece tramp which is quicker to set up.

Thanks again for the input! We hope to be sailing this spring and summer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

That is what I remember the differences are. Good luck with finding one. I hope to get to the Outer Banks this summer for some beach camping and sailing, looks like a great place to sail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The outer banks is just plain great! I love the whole area. Unfortunately it is a good 6 hours from the charlotte area so its not a quick get away beach for me.

Sailing, fishing, sightseeing is all good!

Have a great time!