Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: whales while fishing
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:23 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm curious here if anyone has had any uncomfortably close encounters with breaching whales while fishing from a kayak. You would assume they would see you up there and breach away from you, but.....what if they don't!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:00 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeE2lKhpnxM

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

Post subject: But... not real.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:55 am 
Site Admin

But... not real.

That was used in an advertisement. Faked.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

MatO,
Naaah--that is probably the last thing you have to worry about when yak fishing. For most of us who are flats fishers and who fish inshore waters that rarely are more than about 6 feet deep, you/we will probably never see a whale unless one gets stranded.

Having said that, I did see something humongous this past summer just inside the bar at Shell Point, Florida. It seemed way too big to be a shark or a smaller marine mammal. It was startled by a passing outboard and seemed to run partially aground on the edge of the bar where it had to then work its way back into deeper water. Never did see it blow however, and even though I am a marine biologist and have worked all over the world, I am still not certain what this thing was. Possibly a very large nurse shark.

However, I often encounter pods of bottle-nosed dolphins. In fact, I have worked my Hobie Sport right into the middle of pods of about 6 individuals who were busting bait all around me on about three different occasions. I fold the Mirage drive flippers up against the hull and pull my paddle so as not to bump or hit them. Even though they were coming clear out of the water, they always managed to avoid me and dive under the yak at the last minute with no contact. Here are a couple of pics from about six feet away that I took at Sebastian Inlet last year on the Atlantic.

And that vid about a whale landing on some unsuspecting yakker was a complete phony, as Matt Miller indicated. It was put together for a Korean TV commercial. But it sure looks impressive, and has been on the Internet for several years now!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:57 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Whales are dangerous and can be a real pain in the ass.

I got chased by mama when I cut behind her and junior. Unfortunately Junior wanted to investigate and turned to come back to me for a look. We are talking less than 50 yards here. Mom decided she wanted no part of me being there.

I suddenly realized I was pedalling in the Tour de France. I had the yak going 7 knots if not more legs a burning! She made two deliberate course changes in my direction. Fortunately Junior chose to sound and she went with him.

It's best to stay as far away as possible, if your fortunate enough to get a bead on them. But you never know when and where the SOBs will surface. It get's pretty crowded sometimes so you do get encounters. Having seen the buggers come clear out of the water, you don't want to be close. Nor when they go into the tail straight up, slap it down 10X in a row mode.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yea Dan, I figured if there was anyone who might have encountered a whale or two, it would be you out there in the blue water. Glad you survived the close up and personal!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Heres a link (but you need to register)

http://www.kayaksportfishing.com/phpBB2 ... hlight=wha

2 guys fishin 10-15 ft apart, whale came up between em and tail slmost came down on one of em

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Whales are very real here in Hawaii. In fact, here in Kauai, they're one of the main attractions (and Giant Sea Turtles).

Haven't run into them though in my Kayak, but then again I haven't gone out that deep much.

I'm pretty sure Dan has seen his share of whales since he likes to venture way off into the deeper areas, where I'm still getting the nerve to do. After all, aren't the big fish there also?

Now, where are my nerve pills?? :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:54 am 
Site Rank - Captain

What about white sharks? There was photo in Saltwater Sports Fishing Mag this month of a dude somewhere in HI with a 14' white on the end of his line... hope it was an April fools joke...