Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 8:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We sailed the 1983 H16 again today with some fair winds, and are actually starting to look like we have a clue.

While we knew it was inevitable, it did finally happen, and we have no plan - the tramp split L/R on the port half, 1/3 back from the forward end. Too much ducking and rolling from the heavyweight crew I suspect (and being the original 1983 weatherworn tramp did not help it either)

I have a sailing date in two days for more lessons.

Question is - Is there a good way to temporary fix this as I search for a good used tramp? I was thinking along the lines of duct-tape

Thanks and
Best in Hobies

Mike
Leavenworth

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:15 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

For a quick 'n dirty solution, take the tramp to a canvas shop and have them sew a patch on it. You can try sewing it by hand if all else fails. (Unless you have access to a heavy duty sewing machine, I wouldn't try doing the repair on a regular home sewing machine - it's just not made to sew material that heavy.)

Duct tape, despite its magical qualities, is not up to this task.

Post subject: Split Tramp - Update
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

DUCT-TAPE
Duct-tape did not hurt us any, but did not help much either! Most was peeled off by the wind on the ride to the lake. That which remained stayed fairly stuck and helpful for about 1/2 hour of sailing. After that I think it kept us from fraying the edges any further. Think we were better with it than without it.

USED TRAMPS
A quick series of calls and emails to dealers advertising used parts resulted in ZERO used tramps, ZERO used tramp HALVES, and the insight that a seeking a GOOD used tramp is like searching for GOOD used brake shoes to put on your car, they may be out there, but are they really what you want.

For $305 new, I needed "Something" less expensive for the rest of the year. I eventually found "someone" with a "Good" orange (i.e OLD) tramp for an affordable price. We gambled that at least 1/2 of it is usable and it should be here by Saturday. In the event we want to continue Hobie Catting next year, we will likely buy a new white vinyl one, and resell the used parts we have.

Had a great day sailing today, capsized only once, water quite warm. Learned about the impact of too tight battens, and many other things.

Best in Hobie

Mike
Leavenworth

Post subject: Repair a tramp...
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:52 pm 
Site Admin

Think auto upholstery!

Any upholstery shop can sew a repair on a tramp.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)