Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

When hiking out, I am unable to slack off on the main sheet because the jam cleat is mounted where you have to try to pull the main sheet down, not up. Is mine mounted wrong? Is anyone else having this problem? The only way I can keep from capsizing (besides heading up) is to slack the traveller (if it's not already out).

Post subject: Down is good
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:21 am 
Site Admin

This is the typical setup on cats. You can adjust the angle of the jaws to make it easier to release or lower to make them easier to lock. You need to work on a technique we use to release the sheet.

Basic release technique is to hold the line without slack between your hand and the jaws. Raise your sheeting hand and move it closer to the jaw by a few inches to make some slack in the line. Then quickly drop the hand in a very fast "snap" to send a small wave down the line. When the wave hits the jaws it should yank the line down and out of the jaws.

You should practice over and over on the beach before heading out.

In gusty conditions I prefer to hold the line (released from the jaws), so I sheet - snap release - and hold each time I pull the sheet in.

You also should have a "ratchet" system on the main block. This free wheels for lighter air and ratchets (rotates easily when pulling the line in) and locks in the opposite direction to grip the line so the line drags over the sheave when releasing. This helps to hold much of the line tension making it much easier on your hands and arms.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:38 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Matt, however I'm not following you. I know how to "snap release" the main sheet but that only works for me in light winds. When the sail is under tremendous pressure, it will not release especially at the angle one has when hiking out on the bars.

I also don't see where any adjustments are possible on the blocks. Do you have a photo of how they should look? Or, if you can tell me where to post a photo, I can take one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There are little curved tracks (at least on the Harkens) on each side of the blocks. There is a screw there. Loosen both and you can tilt the jaws up. You have to find a happy medium. To low hard to release, to high you can't cleat. It is a trail and error deal.

Hope this help. Some pics of blocks here.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/modules.php ... _album.php

Look at Picture 10.

Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here is another example of how the 6:1 mainsheet looks:
http://www.thebeachcats.com/modules.php ... _photo.php
You can see the little curved track for adjusting the cam angle on the lower block. There is a screw on each side that you loosen and then re-adjust. I have mine set on the second hole nearest the cam. It works for me and my long arms. You didn't say whether or not you have a 6:1 but if you do that is how it should look. If you could take a picture it would help.

And to post a photo you have to load one on a web page that hosts images. Such as image shack, or you can create an album on thebeachcats.com as Doug and I have done, that way you can just post the link. It took me a little while to figure it out the imageshack way but if you have any trouble shoot me an e-mail and I'll see if I can help you out.

Post subject: Adjustment info...
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:58 am 
Site Admin

The following addendum to the manual has some info on it.

http://www.hobiecat.com/support/pdfs/ge ... ual_a1.pdf

Perhaps the ratchet is not engaged? In higher winds, using the ratchet feature will reduce the sheet load. That in turn makes it easier to hold and snap-release. Certainly a harder snap is required.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you Matt, abbman and DougHobie17. I think I know what the problem is after reviewing your links. I have a Getaway 2006 model that does not have a block with any adjustments other than a red lever that switches rotation of the rachet. I believe that with the addition of the hiking bars, the helmsman now sits 2' higher so the angle is wrong to the blocks. The good news is that you all have shown me that blocks are available that can be adjusted.

I am currently on a 220 mile voyage on my Hobbie from Houston, TX to Rockport, TX. The autopilot, solar panel and Chart Plotter are working great. I will look into posting photos. When I get home, I will buy the appropriate block. -thanks guys1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Have fun on your trip and I would be sure to go with the blocks that MMiller suggested. I'm not sure exactly what kind of setup goes on the getaway but the one I posted was for a 16 and I think they are a litter bit older than/or at least not the ratchmatic kind.

Post subject: Carbo's
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you have the fun get the carbo's that Matt showed. They are REAL light, I use 5/16 line and LOVE them. BUT wash them in clear water EVERY time you use them. They will never let you down if you do.

Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

OK, Matt...thank you for your suggestion. I did not realize that the blocks could be adjusted using an Allan wrench. I believe mine were never set to accomodate the wings so I will adjust them. You have saved me coutless "pitch poles"...THANK YOU!

I had a personal goal to sail from Houston, Tx to Rockport, TX (220mi). I completed my 4 day trip tonight and am celebrating! My Getaway raised quite a few eye brows when I sailed into these redneck Texas fishing villages. I put my boat up at the Rockport Yacht Club tonight for a few weeks until my son flys in from college to sail the boat back to Houston with me. On either side of my slip are 40' boats that have plans to "leave the dock one day". On my left is a guy who has spent $30k on his boat for two years and has not gone more than 40 miles from the dock. On the right is a guy who wants to go the Bahamas...some day...and has been fixing his boat up for the past 3 years. There is a lot to be said for keeping things simple!

Post subject: 4 weeks
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would not leave your boat in the water for four weeks!!! Plasic hulls may not soak up water, BUT the viberation from rocky back and forth from wind and water CAN"T be good in boat.

Matt help me here. Am I wrong.

And when you get back to Hosuton area, Come to www.tcdyc.com and sail at the Texas City Dike with us. Wayward Winds Regatta is coming up on June 2-3.

Doug Snell
Hobie 17 "Stress Free" #007
Mystere 4.3 "Half Pint" #149