Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: AI as fishing kayak
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:41 am 
Hobie Team Member

I am just hours away from making a decision on AI or Revolution. I really want to get out intothe Gulf of Mexico and the Ama/Sail can get me there. I am concerned though that once I am there and ready to fish, are the mast and Amas going to hinder good fishing.

I originally thought that I would wear the fish out then colapse one of the amas just before boating the tired fish. I am now told that without both Amas out the mast makes the AI unstable and likely to roll toward the side with the collapsed ama.

Does anyone have any serious experience fishing with the sail/amas? Is the yak really unstable with the ama retracted or is it good for a few minutes.

Alternatively, can you bring the fish up from the rear and boat it with the ama extended?

Please advise. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I am not a fisherman, but I did take my AI under a VERY narrow VERY low bridge. I furled the sail, pulled the little rope handle and lifted the mast out. I laid the mast across one set of akas. Then I released the other aka side and folded it in against the boat. Then I peddled under the bridge and reassembled on the other side. It took less than 2 minutes.

I have to believe that you could do the same fishing. Furl the sail and take it down. Bungee it across one set of akas. Then fold in the other ama on the oppisite side. That actually would give you a much more stable platform to fish from because you would have one ama out there providing extra balance.

Also, one the same ride, I went out an inlet into the ocean through 3'-5' rollers. I can't describe how incredible that was. The AI is like a big spider on the water. It is so wide and so low I never worry about it going over - but it feels that way. I couldn't stop giggling. The only thing that was more fun was coming in. The surf was too rough to land on the beach, so I decided to go in Blind Pass Inlet about 5 miles north. It is narrow and lined with rocks, it goes in a hundred yards or so and then turns left 90 degrees. If you keep going straight. you hit a seawall. I came in right through the surfers - talk about some strange looks. The rollers were going straight into the inlet. I just rode them in. When I got into the crazy water coming off the rocks and seawall, I furled the sail and started peddling. I went right through it. Once out of the wild water, I opened the sail and sailed back down the intercoastal. And he's right, it takes awhile to get that smile off your face.

That little boat is so much fun, and yeah, you can probably fish from it too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:41 am 
Hobie Team Member

Thanks for the quick response. When you were taking the mast down was there any risk of it coming apart or dropping it? I am also thinking about a tether or float that would prevent it going to the bottom of the ocean during that 2 minutes of demasting and remasting.

Thanks again. Ted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The mast is extremely light. I lifted it out with one hand because you have to pull the handle with the other. I don't know if it would float, but I was never in danger of losing it. It is not hard to hang on to. I went under two bridges where I had to take it down and it was so cool I was actually looking for others.

The mast is 15' long, the AI is 16'. Just lay it on those aka arms close to the hull and bungee it down. Then fish all you want, put the mast back up and sail home. I don't know what you keep fish in, but I have to believe that having those akas out there would give you some great storage places to hook things onto.

Hope this helps - you will love this boat!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:24 am 
Hobie Team Member

The creative side of my brain is thinking that I could rig a mesh net (almost a trampoline) between the hull and ama.

This could be useful for storage (wet) and maybe even hoisting your catch into the net to remove the risk of it flipping out of your hands.

Ideas a re flowing fast.

I can't wait. Thanks for the help.

Ted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:13 pm 
Hobie Team Member

drgatsea

Mahalo for the comments on removing the mast.

Now the$64 question.

Has ayone tried it hooked up?

That is you hook up, furl the sail, stop the first fish run/get it towing you, then drop the sail to clear the deck for the main fight.

Has anyone hooked up to pelagics? Or size equivalent?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dan,
As the world's authority on fishing for big pelagics and sailing the BigA, what do YOU think? Based on my limited experience sailing and fishing the OB and Sport with my puny lobster buoy outriggers, my guess is that Murphy's Law will be in effect at all times--if there is any way a line to a good pelagic will foul on a ama or aka during the fight, it WILL! I mean, I've even fouled my fishing line on my bow handle or eyestrap, something that I thought should be pretty easy to avoid. But a sharp jog by a nice fish under the bow of your boat when you least expect it will do the job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:23 am 
Hobie Team Member

apalach

I haven't landed a 100lb pelagic- yet. And only sailed the AI once!

However I'll take your compliment if it will get me on the Hobie fishing team. :lol:

I know the AI ama are larger, but so far I have had no troubles fishing with Sidekick. When I test sailed the AI I brought along a pole and waved it pretty much around the ama so not to concerned about it.

In fact after he saw my Sidekick, one of the top fisherman here, Reggie, added a set of home made ama rig to his Prowler that is wider than Sidekick expklicitedly for fighting larger fish.

Potential mast interference is my major concern. Why I keep asking guys how fast they can get it down. I'd really like to see Hobie comeup with some sort of universal joint and sleeve system to do quick lowering. Would work well for bridges also.

In the meantime how guys fish the AI under sail is high on my interest list.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dan, I haven't landed a fish yet from the AI's but I have comments on your concern on the mast.

We often stand up with one hand on the mast to stretch after a long run or when looking for things (whales). I would think you could close the sail and unhook the pole's leash from the boat and clip it to you (pfd) and stand in 1-2' seas in seconds. You can walk almost anywhere on the AI (except the amas) even around the mast if necessary (just hold on). Then when things are well under control, hook the sail (we use a ball bungee instead of the supplied short rope), disconnect the halyard, wind up the yellow line (for reefing) and at the right moment release and remove the mast. We keep extra ball bungees looped on the akas to strap things like the mast to them if necessary.

Come on over to Maui sometime and you can try different ways on one of our AI's (and teach me some of your fishing secrets). :)

Kayaking Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:13 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Mahalo Bob

Good tips.

Might take you up on that offer later this summer.

Aloha

Dan