Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ai rudder drop force
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 10:33 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I rented an adventure kayak and had trouble getting the rudder to flip down into the water, it did after from forceful jousting with the lever.
The next day I took the adventure island out and had to get the instructor to flip the rudder back off the deck before I could lower it with the lever.
I really tryed pushing the lever as hard as I could but it didn't want to come off the deck from the stowed position. This being the case it had no suspect binding or grinding once in motion it just seemed like the rudder was so heavy that the dinky lever had no force to overcome the weight.
Has anyone else noticed this on their AI's?
Since these were rentals I assumed they had junk in the tube where the cables goes into hiding but the AI I believe I was the first one to take it out because the 4 guys that worked the rentals had no idea that with the mast installed it would not clear under the bridge and had to remove it to carry it to the water! The instructor was even less knowlegeable on the boat that I was although I had spent the hour before reading the manual.
He had no idea how to go about righting the boat if it capsized. He told me of an AI owner that had ventured outside the harbor in his AI and flipped it over in the waves. The guy almost drowned trying to swim with it in tow back to shallow water before getting a footing to get the mast back upright.

I plan to rent it a few more times before deciding to buy one or not the wind died on me half way into the hour I had the boat but it did get going a couple of times enough to splash water into the seat area. Unfortulately the plugs were still installed so it was a puddle I had to sit in the rest of the way. I noticed water churning up into the boat behind the peddle drive unit I would like to see a better seal around that area with maybe a rubber blade seal on next years model and the holes in the bottom really could be smaller for the self draining function. The wheels for this boat are a bad idea pluging into the bottom I think the wrap around the tip design like someone suggested from I believe it was paddleboy.com would be way better for the AI fully rigged.
Hobie as usual has come out with a fun and unique design! Bravo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 8:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Charlie

Pretty much all the ills that you have described have been "fixed" by a variety of adjustments and easy user modifications. Too many to repost/list here but many threads/posts have covered these. Poster Roadrunner has quite a few.

As an owner of 2 Islands (me and wife) they are safe, fun and a real blast to use. I have stepped mast up and down on the water easily many times to clear bridges. As with anything knowedge and experince helps. But Islands are very forgiving & EZ boats for the unexperienced sailor yet a full fledged sailboat to satisfy even the seasoned sailors out there.

Yakaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 10:54 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Charlie,

As Yak implied, a lot of what you experienced was lack of familiarity (the "instructor" as well). Since you seem to be the only one there who bothered to read the manual, maybe you should be the new instructor!

Flipping the rudder up and down is a matter of technique and adjustment -- you don't have to fight it.

The seat scuppers can be unscrewed partially and drain; they don't need to be removed.

It's easy to make an anti slosh plug for the drive.

Learning about your boat and making "improvements" is half the fun! As Yak says, most of this stuff is posted.

The Island is an amazing boat! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 7:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Charlie,
This has been an occasional problem on various Hobie models with the “newâ€

Post subject: Rudder down
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 10:00 am 
Site Admin

Rudder down technique.

I find that using a little technique is the easiest way to get the rudders down.

Steer left... and while pressing the down-lever... steer right.

This moves the rudder mass in the direction required to begin lifting off the deck. Makes it much easier.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks guys, Tomorrow is the demo day at the rental center they should have the AI out to fondel and I will give that rudder some attention if I take it out again. I really liked the boat once in the water and your right it is one of a kind. I didn't get much wind the first day I had it out so it was easy to get used to the steering and sheets without getting too wet.
If I take it out again can I just pull the plugs under the seat to allow that area to drain or are they threaded? I had to sit in a puddle last time and it was somewhat squishy after getting a little splash over the bow.

I am really dying to rent a Bravo or one of the larger cats too. I had a 75' H16 and really enjoyed trapping and singlehanding it. Unfortulately the closest place that sells them is in mission bay don't know if they rent yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Charlie,
Yep, the seat scupper plugs are threaded, but you only need to remove them part way to let the water drain. If you remove them completely (they have a little safety catch to prevent loss), there is a good chance you will get more water coming in the other way--up thru the scupper drains into the seating area. Then you might be sitting in a puddle all day! Good way to avoid all this is to get a pair of Stearns waterproof, breathable pants at Wal-Mart for $19.99 and you don't have to worry about a little (or even a lot of) water entering the boat, no matter what the circumstances. The Stearns waterproof, breathable jackets ($29.99) are also great. I tuck mine in my seat back pouch (along with sun screen, bug repellent, hook removal cutters, spare set of pliers, etc.) on the old Hobie seats so it is always readily accessible, come wind, rain, or shine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Apalach, I was on the water when you wrote that responce and you were right taking the plug out completely did let more water in than out :oops: I didn't get to take the AI out but did take the 2 seater out with a friend. She enjoyed the peddle drive much more than paddling once the peddles were adjusted all the way out for her gate. We got to demo a few different sit on tops and the hobie has the best features hands down. I didn't have to bother with the rudder kick down since it was already there!