Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: AI Prebuy questions
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 4:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Can someone help with a few newbee questions ?

1. I read the AI should not be left in a mooring for storage. If I just use the boat for 30 days on summer, would it be acceptable to leave it on water overnight for 30 days a year, or would that damage the boat ? Should I leave it overnight on water ... should I leave the akas-amas extended, fold them .. or remove completely ?

2. Without the akas-amas-mast ... can I use the AI as a regular Adventure? that is can I use it as a regular kayak without rigging the mast or the akas?

3. Is a paddle included with the purchase of an AI ?

4. Is it possible to transport the kayak with folded akas on any of the karts ? which one is best if I have a long and steep sand beach walk?

5. Should I get the turbo mirage drive ... or is it better to use the regular one ?

Thanks for your time,

Xavi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 10:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

1. Where did you read you should not moore it for storage? I plan to keep mine in (fresh) water all summer.

2. Without the akas, it's very close to the non-Island Adventure. You only keep the akas/mast support and sail rigging lines (a couple of extra pounds I guess)

3. Yes, there's a paddle included

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 11:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Marotte wrote:
1. Where did you read you should not moore it for storage? I plan to keep mine in (fresh) water all summer.

2. Without the akas, it's very close to the non-Island Adventure. You only keep the akas/mast support and sail rigging lines (a couple of extra pounds I guess)

3. Yes, there's a paddle included

Thanks for your time responding, a few more :)

1. I read it in the PDF Manual from the support website. It even says it voids the warranty :(. I would plan mooring it in salt water ... any experience/suggestions ?

2. Great news ... an additional concern is if it is bad for the boat in any way to use it without the mast in position since I've read is very sensitive to debris, etc.

Finally, any experiences with carts and the adventure?

Thanks
Xavi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 8:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

No problem using the AI in just A mode. The mast cup at the very bottom will fill with sand at every opportunity and requires turning the yak upside down to clear. However the only time it really has opportunity is when the water is full of sand.

I have heard that the paddle boy cart is good for it. The little fat hobie wheels work but just barely.

Not really sure why you can't keep it set up in the water, maybe they figure it is the same as using it 24/7 kind of like a rental which also voids warranty. I keep mine setup on a trailer with the white plastic wrap it came in over it.

gwiz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 11:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for taking time answering gwiz.
Good information, do you know which paddle boy cart is the one I should get to move quite some yards the whole setup?
xavi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 11:57 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

The standard Hobie cart works well for me: 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 6:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Wow !! Nice picture.... More questions :)
If I use the kart to bring it home from de beach everyday ... I'm pretty sure I shouldnt leave it on the kart, right?
Then what are my options ... dismantle everything every day and putit upside down ? or is there a way to keep it for a few days together and ready to go ?
Thanks again for your time, and sorry for insisting but what worries me most about de AI is if I'll be able to handle it logistically :)

Regards,

Xavi

Post subject: Kayak stands for storage
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 7:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

strias -
I got these mesh nets and the PVC building plans for the stands from Steve at:

http://nomadness.com/articles/kayak-dinghy-stands.html

He posted a photo of my Island in a Hobie kayak cover on the stands at the site. They're easy to assemble and work great if you want to consider it as an option.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 7:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I think that if you really use it almost everiday on that 30 days , it should be ok to leave it on the cart ready to launch as soon as you make it sure is not exposed to the sun wile not in use, and provide a sort of jig in order to keep her leveled with no more than 50% of weight on the cart.
But is much more simple to just remove one aca and the mast putting her at rest on one side, 1 min to disassemble 3 min. to reassemble is really not a big deal.
AI witout akas and mast perform really good as a normal kayak but especialy with Turbo you can really do very very well even against tidal currents, if you like to paddle just remove the mirage drive and put the included plug on place otherwise is a bit heavy to padle at least for me.

PS:if you are interested in AI try to give a loock in the kayak classified Forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks everyone for the responses.
A few last questions :)
I'm thinking to move the AI on the roof of my car (VW Golf) and I face a couple of questions.
Anyone know if there's a lenght limit to transport on top of a car ... that is can I carry an AI (close to 5 meters) on top of a Golf?
Second, I've looked into the Thule (www.thule.com) line of roof top hardware and I see I will get a Hull-a-port to take the main body, a universal adapter for the mast, but can't figure out how will I carry the amas :(, any experiences? or can anyone provide the actual size of the amas so I can figure something out?
Thanks again for your time and advice.
Xavi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have two sets of L shaped kayak holders for my trailer. One set for my AI and one for my Amas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The amas are pretty easy to load and tie down with the handles and the holes injection molded into them. They are about 8 foot long... maybe 8 1/2 foot. Maybe you can put them thru the back seat hole like snow skis?

Most states have a 2.5 to 3 foot limit to how much you can overhang something from the front and/or back of a vehicle. Most vehicles are close to 16 foot long - even small ones. You're supposed to tie red flags at the end of whatever part overhangs.

While you can buy expensive racks, the foam block and tie down kits commonly available work well for me in hauling my AI. I used one set of blocks for the AI hull and another set of foam blocks for the Amas and strapped them all on the roof.

I'd be careful about leaving the AI hull on the wheel set in that the bar can leave a dent in the hull. You could slide the hull back and forth and/or use your hands/feet to make a dent in the sand to match the hull shape and that would probably not distort the hull. The amas move down as they fold in so you'd have to try to even out the load as much as possible.

John