Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Righting
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Me, too, me. A lightweight with enormous plastic hulls had better be a good swimmer. I could stand there all day until I'm blown to a shore (we have rocky ones and sweet sandy ones). Ooof. :shock: -judi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:08 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

yup yup exactly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I find the righting line completely useless solo.

I've the righting bag which I attach to the mast step & keep in the tramp pouch.

So what I do, @200lbs, is unhook the main & loosen the jib completely, swim the boat around to 45-ish degrees, then use the righting bag. Up she comes.

One modification though: The rope is too long for wrapping around the maststep so I tie a figure eight loop in it to shorten it up and so I can use the resulting loop, just on top of the upper hull, as an additional place to pull down.

Post subject: Solo righting story.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Well, couldn't find crew for today so said to heck with it and took it out solo. Watched the video again, aaahhh flying a hull, mmmmm solo righting, and away I went. Had a great couple hours on the water, flew a hull(on purpose)a short distance. Decided time to leave, headed for ramp on a close reach(ramp dead on to wind) a bass boat was trolling across the dock fingers so I had to bear off. The ramp is a dead air area and I came out of the protection I was on the lee side of the boat. Bob got a bath. I'm 6'2" over 250 :oops: and I didn't think I was going to "gitter done". The stock righting line seems too long but using the rocking technique worked. Thank G it was a quiet weekday, not many saw the walrus body surfing behind a getaway on the run. It actually made me like the boat more, what a blast to solo. :D
Bill

Post subject: Re: Righting
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:59 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've read the other posts, but let me tell you, a Getaway with wings and a forward tramp CANNOT be dragged around head to wind after a capsize. With a solo, 180lb very experienced sailor, it CANNOT be righted alone without dropping the main. I tried to right it once in very calm conditions. Could get the bow into the wind, but not enough wind under the main the break the suction with my weight. Went over unintentionally this weekend while trapezing solo in 15-20 knots. Gust hit, lee bow went down, boat slowed, I didn't :shock: . You can guess the rest. Had to drift ashore & drop the main.

Post subject: Re: Righting
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

OK so I have never tipped over my getaway. I have dumped my 16 more times than I can count but have been very nervous about a) being able to get back on the boat once its up and b) being able to get it up at all (alright quit laughing). After reading all the posts apparently you can't swim the mast up into the wind with wing and front tramp?? So now what do you just hang on waiting for help? I have never looked at the righting line under the tramp of the getaway, some of you mentioned that it didn't really work, why would they bother to spend the money to install equipment in the boat if it doesn't work??
I have already had an instance where I was dragged behind the boat as I could not heft my heftiness on board, again a problem I never had on the 16.