Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:57 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

This is the 'How To' portion of the small sail adapter for the 2007 AI. There were some changes for the '08 AI and Stringy has posted an updated How-to here:
http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=8809

Regardless of what version you have, you can see the description and operation here:
http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=6901

The finished product will look something like this:

Parts:

I bought all the parts through Hobie or Home Depot. Here's what you need (reference picture below):

Hobie parts (all in black):
79512 mast collar (top left)
84550001 mast base, kayak (tube, right side)
79511001 mast base/pin (bottom middle)

From Home Depot (or any PVC supplier) -- note - Brands vary in size and style. These are made by DURA USA. All sizes are inches unless noted. Some trimming will be required. Best to take the mast collar along to verify fit:
1 ea -- 1 1/2 slip/slip coupler (lower middle)
2 ea -- 1 1/2 x 1 1/4 slip adapter (middle, attached to 1 1/4" pipe top and bottom)
1 ea -- 1 1/2 x 1 slip adapter (top right)
1 ea -- 1 1/4" PVC pipe x 7"

Misc. parts:
PVC primer and glue
epoxy -- find one that works with PE like 3M Scotch Weld DP 8010
one sheet, medium sandpaper
small stainless "S" hook
black paint/primer to suit

Assembly:

All parts should be fitted dry before any gluing is done. This next pic shows pre-fitting the 1 1/2 x 1 1/4 adapter inside the mast collar. The lip here may need some sanding. Aim for a snug fit.

The 1 1/2 x 1 adapter will fit into the top of the mast collar. It may not need trimming.

The kayak (small sail) mast base fits into this adapter. The inside bottom lip of the adapter will need some trimming to accommodate the tube. I used an exacto knife. If you want a flush mount (as shown), you will sand down the tube top flange. This is not necessary though. When fitted, it should look something like this (note tail of mast base protruding through bottom of 1 1/4 tube):

Once the pre-fitting is complete, glue the 1 1/4 pipe to the trimmed 1 1/2 x 1 1/4 adapter. Epoxy the two adapters back to back, using any available tape to align them until set, as shown below:

With epoxy, glue the 1 1/2 slip connector to the mast base/pin; glue the other (untrimmed) 1 1/2 x 1/1/4 adapter to the other end of the connector. Epoxy the preassembled insert into the mast collar. DO NOT GLUE THE 1 1/4 PIPE TO THE BOTTOM ASSEMBLY AT THIS TIME.

Before continuing, you'll need to measure and trim the 7" tube length to replicate the correct height of your original mast base. Probably less than 1/4" trim (if any) will be necessary. Better to be too long than too short. Test fit this to your boat to verify before gluing! You will then need to carefully trim the small sail tube so that it seats in the bottom of the mast base/pin. Double check these parts dry until you're satisfied you have it right.

Glue the 1 1/4 pipe (with top assembly) to the bottom assembly. Insert and glue the small sail tube so that it is glued at the base and top. When done, it should look like this:

Bevel this lower shoulder as shown to ease extraction of the adapter:

Modify your "S" hook to permanently fit your bungee. It will hook to your adapter as shown:

Prime and paint to suit. 8)

Revision -- I originally used JP Weld epoxy. Unfortunately it eventually failed. You may need a glue that can bond with PE. The only one I know of is now listed on the materials list above. Here's a link that gives a little more info on glues: http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewt ... b166a57a27
Perhaps DuPont has an equivalent? Good luck!

Last edited by Roadrunner on Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Very nice write-up. One question, where did you get the Hobie parts?

Thanks, Ray J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:48 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Thanks, Ray.

Just got them locally. Hobie had to supply a couple of the part numbers, since they are not all in the current catalog. Your local dealer can verify these numbers and descriptions with Hobie, but I'm pretty sure they are right.

Maybe when Matt gets back in town he can confirm this. 8)

Post subject: Great post
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

All ten of my thumbs very impressed by another great post.

Thanks for the ingenuity and hard work!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Roadrunner. Like I suspected, the easiest way to build a mast adapter was to get some of the parts Hobie used on the Island's mast. No elaborate re-fabrication requied, just a little plumbing - great pics & instructions.

With these mast parts available one could go about building any kind of custom mast that would roller-furl.

Maybe a mast/sail smaller than the current Island setup but bigger than the little Hobie sail kit for its other kayaks.

Perhaps such a mast adapter could be made that doesn't add any mast or sail but instead a pole holder, fish finder mount or whatever.

Let the mods begin

Yakaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:58 pm 
Hobie Team Member

RR
You need to post that on KFS

Wasn't there a NZ guy (stubbo?) trying to do this?

Great Job.

Now if I could get you to work on a beach umbrella U joint to let the AI mast collapse.....I could at least contribute a carbon fibre tube made to a specific diameter as a sliding locking collar. West systems provides the instruction

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:44 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Don, haven't seen your posts in awhile -- good to hear from you. Did you get your AI yet? Life is short and you're not getting any younger! :wink:

Yak, that's a great point about being able to adapt about anything to the roller base. What do you think about a Lazy Susan for baits, fillet table and sandwiches? You could work while you dine! :lol:

Dan, interesting idea, but I see several potential problems. 1) cost of SS roller bearing U-joint with custom mast inserts; 2) sleeve needs to be big enough, have room to slide and securely latch without raising sail height(requiring mast extension); 3) I can picture a big gust splitting the sleeve or mast (mast flex focusing great pressure at top of sleeve), dumping the entire sail overboard; 4) lowered mast on deck would put a big limitation on movement. This isn't to say that it couldn't be done -- just factors to look at.

As an alternative, what about reefing the sail and passing your rod around the mast? Remember, you can stand up right next to the mast or move around on this rig with the sail furled. It isn't a very high tech solution, but you can't beat the price and the simplicity makes it very compelling! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:05 am 
Hobie Team Member

rr

I have a 3 pronged attack for getting an AI:

a. Sell the '06 Adventure (not getting any nibbles. everyone wants the latest model at Hobie prices.)

b. Reinforce the '06 hull for the Ai mast step. Not so far out now given west systems G-Flex epoxy ( http://kfs.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/ ... 5631010483 )

c. Build my own hull and buy the AI sail kit add on $1550 (also required for b above ) I have Matt at JEM designing a hull now.(includes my 6' fish box lined with removable insulated bag and unique rod storage below decks)

The mast thing is still a sticky item though. Passing the rod around the mast just doesn't seem like an option to most guys here fshing for pelagics.

Striking it may be possible. My test of the AI ran out of gas in 25 knot wind with a rudder failure. However, I have done that with the smaller sail and fish around 35-40lbs. Open to question until I hook up a bill fish.

Post subject: Part number correction
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:04 am 
Site Admin

Part number correction:

Hobie parts (all in black):
79512 mast collar (top left)
84550001 mast base, kayak (tube, right side)
79511001 mast base/pin (bottom middle)

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:09 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

This is a correction to the orignal post.

Sorry to say, the JB Weld epoxy eventually failed. The original posting has been revised accordingly -- you may need a glue that will bond with Polyethylene. I'm not sure what the Hobie materials are, but have had good luck with the DP 8010. If anybody has other suggestions, please chime in. I'll continue to look for an inexpensive easily obtainable alternative as well. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a question for Roadrunner or Stringy about this modification, please

As this is an old post, one of the pictures is no longer visible, but I think I've got it - am I correct in thinking that if I had a 1 1/2" diameter mast (38mm), then all I'd need to perform this mod would be the following (for a new Hobie Adventure Island)
79512 mast collar
79511101 '08 mast base /hole type
1 1/2" slip/slip coupler - I'm guessing from the photos that this has a 1 1/2" internal diameter and would join a 1 1/2" mast to the mast base by sliding over both of them, correct?
(plus S hook, 3M glue)

I'm asking because the yellow Adventure (non Island) I just tried to order isn't available until the end of June here in Europe and I'm thinking of switching to an Adventure Island in the meantime for the versatility it allows. Solway Dory in the UK provide a furling self-standing 35 or sq feet bermuda rig with a 2 part 38 mm diameter mast that I'd be tempted to try to fit to an Ama-less Adventure Island initially (I'm sure the local kayak club are not quite ready yet for me to put a trimaran on the kayak rack there :lol: )
Solway Dory also do 30 and 44 sq ft versions as well as a 25 sq ft balanced lug sail, so there's a fair choice there for me.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Welcome Simon,
If you get the AI you have the best of both worlds ...a great sailing trimaran which is easily converted into a versatile sailing kayak. I actually use mine as the Adventure kayak a lot more than as the AI but the best trips I have had have been in the AI.
You have done your research well and you are correct, though it looks like Hobie have changed their part descriptions.
It is my understanding that the Hobie parts needed for fitting a different mast now would be:
79512001 Furler drum AI
9511101 08 Mast base/hole type
I can't help with the other plumbing bits as ours are different here but you would need reducers to go from the 53mm OD AI mast to the 38mm OD Solway mast.
BTW, I've changed the original small sail adapter so that it is glueless. A bolt and hose clamp hold it all together now. I have also added an unfurling line which helps with quick adjustments to the smaller sail.
With a 35sq/ft sail you will be in for some great sailing. I've found that the daggerboard adds to the stability and slows heeling so much that I use it on all points of sail now, something you may need to consider with the larger sail.
Keep us posted on how your mod goes. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:36 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Stringy,
I've ordered a yellow AI and a 35 sq ft Solway Dory sail kit as well as the standard hobie kayak sail for comparison. They should arrive in a couple of weeks.

I'm also in a metric country (Italy) and am working on tracking down the various bits of pvc plumbing to make this possible.

Just a couple of questions....

I like your idea of not using glue, and can see the hose clamp, but where's the extra bolt?

Why do you need an unfurling line as well as a furling line - isn't the wind pressure on the sail enough to unfurl it, or have I misunderstood?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well that's great news Simon. Hopefully you'll enjoy your AI as much as I've enjoyed mine. I'm looking forward to your report on the Solway sail!
The bolt is going through the hose clamp. It goes through the hollow end of the Hobie small mast tube and holds the irrigation fitting in the end that I used as the mast base. The hose clamp is a collar that holds it all together and strengthens the plastic small mast tube. I split an earlier version at the base.
Your application will be different of course. An epoxy may be a better solution for your Solway mast.
I wouldn't drill holes in it.
The unfurling line makes it much easier to accurately control how much sail you have out. It has made sailing in 15+ knots much safer!