Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 5:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

:) I just bought a Revolution for my wife to pedal and sail. It's great to be part of the Hobie family again. For ease of sailing I realy wanted to have roller furling on the boat however, the friction was to high between the mast and the tube to allow this to work. I believe I found an easy solution to this problem. I wraped the the bottom of the mast and were the mast contacts the top of the mast tube with a layer of self adhesive telflon tape. Additionaly I put a layer of tape (note this tapeis not the same as plumbing teflon tape) at the top of the mast tube. Then sprayed both peices with Mclube Sailkote. Between the lube and application of the teflon the friction was reduced enough to allow easy furling and unfurling of the sail

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Good idea. I have been wanting to be able to reef too. Where did you get your tape?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I got the tape from Annapolis Performance Sailing APSLTD.com purchased the 1" tape Part # DEW102 though the 1/2 inch tape would probaly work as well. Th lubricant I used is McLube Sailkote Part number MEMC1 however you can pick this up in west Marine as well and save the hazmat shipping charge. For the furling line I used 3/16 line. Aternatly you could use the exsisting main sheet if you are replacing it with a longer one. I simply drove a # 8 self tapping screw through the line into the mast to attach the line. To get a cleaner run aft I mounted a block on the starboard side abeam of the mast and run the furling line through it to the original main sheat cleat. I have gone to a mainsheet system very similatr to the one Roar Runner uses.
I am happy to report I have used these system successfully in 15 knots of breeze with 2 to 3 foot of wind chop off Catalina Island this last week end. Yeah the side kicks saved me a couple of tiime. Also I found if the boat wants to round up momentarily retracing the mirage drive fins by seperating the feet will stop it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

tartan I other thing to make the system work you have to fix the tack of the sail to the mast. To do this I cut off the shock cord which goes from the tack of the sail to the hull of the kayak and went with a conventional down haul system mounted to the mast. For this I used a Ronstan carbon vee cleat Part # Rf5101 Becket this provides a 2 to 1 prchase and allowes the sail shape to be adjusted depending on wind strength. The end result of all this is a simple one line system to furl the sail while pulling on the mainsheet will un-furl the sail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:22 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Nice work! Got some pictures? 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Very nice description and thanks for the info. As RR said, some pics would be a great help. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I will try and take some pics theis weekend. Any hints on how to post the pics is greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

MRL, I'd be curious to see pictures of your furling system and modifications. Here is a link to a post from Apalach that explains how to post pics. http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=7093