Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

good boat but good luck trying to right it after tipping and I haven't found an easy way to get back on board from the water. the pontoons ride so high in the water that you need real long arms to be able to reach over them to grab onto something to lift yourself back onto the boat. And once those pontoons get wet they're incredibly slippery.

Only way i've been able to get back on was to have a boat pick me up and then climb onto the bravo from the boat.

Post subject: I dumped it too !!!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Here's something I just sent to another Bravo owner:

Well, I went out today, the wind picked up while I was a couple miles out, I caught a gust, and went over !!!

I quickly went around to the bottom, climbed onto the lower hull and reached over for the righting line. I leaned way back, and although the sail had some water on it, it was uncleated, and after a minute, it was back up again !!!

There were fairly heavy seas, maybe that helped boost me onto the lower hull. However, there was water on the sail, but the mast tip was not sinking...

BTW - I was reading back, and I sail without the "bob". I depend on getting around to the bottom, and getting that righting line to work...

Also - you can grab the righting line on the bottom hull, to help you get onto the hull... don't grab in the middle, with the bungee...

Post subject: Bravo
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just got a Bravo a few weeks ago. Bought it used from the classified on this board from a first rate guy who was very helpful.

What a cool little boat! It is perfect for 1-2 or 3 if two of them are kids.

Took the boat out for my first sail on a lake when a big storm was coming up. There was not thunder or signs of rain when we left, but you knew it was coming. I went with daughters, 14 and 6+ year old. Okay, not the best judgment.

We were flying, cutting through waves, leaning out but still barely touching the water on one side. I looked ahead and saw rain coming far off, so I started making way back to our house.

Thats when I did something very dumb. I turned down wind rather than into the wind. In a second, we were flying through the air into the drink. My 14 yr old quickly decided that this was not so bad but my 6 yr old freaked...but then settled down as well as she could. I flipped the boat back over in a second and climbed back in. Unfortunately the boat was carrying me away from the girls, even with the sail flapping. I furled the sail and fortunately had brought a kayak paddle with me. So I quickly got over to them to pick them up.

Just as I was getting there, you could see a wall of water coming, a really hard rain. Can't say that this picked up the spirit of my little one any...

We sailed back to the shore with about an 1/8 of the sail out and got there quickly. We landed close to our house and the girls walked back. The rain blew over and I had some great rides throughout the day. The wind totally died just as I was coming up to the dock.

What a great day.

Believe it or not, I got my six year old back on the boat today for a quick ride. She was pretty brave. Not too eventful of a trip, but she grabbed anything she could find when ever I came around.

A little therapy and she will be fine, probably.

Great boat!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I did that on a Hobie 16 - was going downwind so fast !!! The sail was doing whatever it pleased, and the hulls were trying to bury themselves...

I carry a nice thick rope with me. It's good for pulling someone downwind, under the boat to snorkel, and, in a situation like yours, maybe drag someone to slow down, of course, you could've furled the sail...

Also, an extra piece of rope is always handy for something, and I've found that things stay put pretty well in the rear hatch, if they've got some bulk to them. I flipped my Bravo near shore this weekend, and it flipped all the way over again. I'm used to grabbing the dolphin struker as it comes over. I realized you can grab the righting line from under the Bravo, and do the same thing...

Anyway, when it was all over, my stuff was still in the rear hatch - I look in there sometimes, and picture stuff disappearing into the boat, but not yet...