Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 10:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Folks,

Me again. Thanks to those who have been kind enough to reply to my "newbe" questions.

I plan to sail recreationally with my kids (10 and 12) and am a bit concerned about righting my Hobie 16. My first concern when I pitch-pole, and I'm sure I will, will be the kids. So the first few moments afterwards are going to be spent checking to be sure they're safe.

Should I consider installing a "Baby Bob" atop my mast to be sure I have time to right the Hobie before the mast sinks, especailly since I'll be checking on the kids.

Thanks as always.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 5:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi, Dan!

I will also be sailing my 16 with my boys (aged 9 and 13) and am planning on getting a "bob". I don't see how it could be a detriment; only a possible BIG help. When I sail FJ's at my club, if the wind picks up significantly, we always tie a couple of empty, but capped milk jugs to the top of the masts. If one capsizes, the last thing you want is to have to dig your mast out of the mud!! :D
Which bob are you planning on getting? I'm thinking of the one that also double as a wind vane.

Cheers,
Nick

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 6:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi,

I swear by my Baby Bob on my H17 as I sail solo and there is usually no-one out sailing on the bay but myself....it's great insurance.

If nothing else it will give you some resting and thinking time, after you pitchpole or capsize, by keeping the mast from going turtle.

Also check to make sure your mast is water tight, so it won't take in water and tend to work against the "Bob".

As for which one to get, I was advised by my Hobie dealer that the Baby Bob was the one to get for the H17, so ask your Hobie dealer.

Also be sure to get the mast fittings to suit your mast....whether it is a Composite Tip or straight Aluminium...it makes a big difference to the attachment fittings.

Also get in a little practice on righting your Cat, tip it over in shallow water on a calm day and practice getting it up....that takes some of the panic out when it does actually happen.

Happy Sailing,

Nigel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 8:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey folks,

Thanks to Nigel and Nick for your thoughts and advice.

I'm thinking about the Baby Bob, mostly for the cost and size, and I'm going to make sure my mast is sealed....it doesn't look like anyone has done anything to ensure this is the past. No sealer present around the mast head, or rivet holes....mmmmm.

It also sounds like a good idea to do a practice righting. I have one of the righting line systems that consists of a line, pulleys and bungee cord under the tramp.

Thanks again.....I sure appreciate the replies.

Dan in Vermont
'79 Hobie 16

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 8:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi,

Regarding no sealant around the rivets, that might be a good sign, why....well as I'm aware original Hobie rivets were fitted using rivet casings, therefore making the rivets / mast sealed.

What I have found is that sealant is used by owners that have done repairs to their masts...replacing rivets and not using the casings.

So, you might be lucky and have a mast in original condition.

When you practice your righting, let your mast tip go underwater for a few minutes, then raise and lower it, checking for a "sloshing" noise inside the mast.

As for righting, I have a very simple system which I will be very glad to email to you. I'll take some pics this weekend.

Nige

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 3:56 pm 
Site Admin

The Baby bob is the best choice for the 16. It comes with a small packet of instructions for mounting on either mast type. It also comes with the screws that are required for the non-CompTip all aluminum mast.

If the mast float keeps the mast out of the water, you shouldn't have to be to concerned with mast leaks. Perhaps at the mast head.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 7:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks again to mmiller.

You've made my day on several fronts, first the wire info, now the float info....many thanks. With the kids riding with me, I really think the piece of mind offered by a float is worth the investment. Thanks again.

Dan in Vermont
'79 Hobie 16

Post subject: Prindle Bob
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 4:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi,
I have a Prindle 18 and use a Baby Bob on it. It seems to support the mast very well when on the side. I'm sure Matt Miller won't be excited about the modification I did to the logo on the Bob, but here it is. :lol:
Jack Hoying
Fort Loramie, Ohio