Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sail rudder
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I saw where Matt posted that the new sail rudders were ready to ship. Does that mean for the Adventure Island also, and we don't need to do the modification if we get the sail rudder?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Island already comes with the larger 'sail' rudder. At this time we only have the original style - so if you prefer the new shape you will need to do the mod yourself. Once the new shaped rudder is available we'll be sure to pass that along.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks. I had a chance to take the IA out on the Long Island Sound yesterday during a window of fairly nice weather in the 50s. Reaction: I thought I'd gone to heaven. No one else on the water. Just clear water, the IA whipping along, and me. Nice. I'm recommending it to all who ask.

Post subject: sail rudder
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:22 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I love my two adventure islands- the only frustration I have is with the rudder on one of them- i can't get the screw to hold it down in heavy winds this is after all kinds of adjustments- I am considering doing the modification that roadrunner suggests and am wondering if doing this along with putting a pin or metal stainless bolt through it will solve the problem. I sail these in heavy trade winds 15-20 in maui and need a real good long term fix. Also if anone is looking at buying one in maui the guys at valley island marine have been great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The word is the new balanced rudders for the AI are in and ready to ship. I had my dealer at Helisport in Huntington, Long Island call and Hobie said they were shipping the new rudders today. Can't wait.

Post subject: Re: sail rudder
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Steve,

I had the same problem with one of my AI's, the other one was fine. After many adjustments that didn't help, my dealer asked Hobie to replace it. The new one works great now.

Hobie is aware of the rudder lockdown problems, and is working on a newer rudder design for the AI.

The Balanced rudder is great, but wait for Hobies. I modified 2 rudders, and both broke here in Maul's wind and waves very quickly. The 4 bolts are not enough to hold it, and when it breaks it takes part of the rudder assembly with it... to the bottom.

I found a stainless steel pin at Lowes that works well, but I wouldn't use it regularly as I have broke a few rudder pins and in a bad launch or landing a $2.50 pin is preferred to ~$100 and 10-14 days for a new rudder and assembly.

We're over in Kihei, where are you sailing out of?

Aloha,

Kayaking Bob

steve matecki wrote:
I love my two adventure islands- the only frustration I have is with the rudder on one of them- i can't get the screw to hold it down in heavy winds this is after all kinds of adjustments- I am considering doing the modification that roadrunner suggests and am wondering if doing this along with putting a pin or metal stainless bolt through it will solve the problem. I sail these in heavy trade winds 15-20 in maui and need a real good long term fix. Also if anone is looking at buying one in maui the guys at valley island marine have been great.

Post subject: rudder fix
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

reconlon-
Thanks for the comment- send me your email address and i will comtact you the next time i am on maui- i have been taking the boat from honokeana cove-napili to kaanapali- kapalua- mostly west side- once the rudder system is 100% i want to cross to molokai- lanai. I am planning on doing this trip in the fall. I am going to take the ai that is giving me problems back to the guys at valley island next week and ask them to change the rudder system as this has been a problem on this boat since day one and it might just be a stack up issue with the molded parts. This is my yellow boat, the red one has not given me any problems. Mahalo

Post subject: Rudders
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:41 am 
Site Admin

The balanced rudders are being shipped to owners who registered their boats warranty with us. All others should contact their dealer to order one. All are being provided at no charge.

Lock down problem? Use the thumb screw in extreme cases. The balanced rudder also seems to stay down easier using the standard down control.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

What a pleasant surprise! :lol: The new balanced rudder for my AI was waiting for me when I got home today. Delivered to my home on Long Island within a week of being made available. Now that's service. Thanks, Matt and Hobie. It's on the Island and looks fine. Of course, there is no wind on this 92 degree day, but tomorrow, we'll test 'er out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:59 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I received my new balanced rudder and hope to install it tonight. I've resisted the urge to modify my existing rudder in anticipation of getting the new one. I'm pleased (more like ecstatic) that Hobe has implemented this much needed improvement and is providing existing owners with the new rudder free of charge.

THANKS!!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:00 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I forgot to mention that I tried out the new balanced rudder a couple days ago. Winds were light at 5 knots but gusty with gusts to 15 tops. I would have preferred a steady 10 knots or better for proper evaluation. I found that I no longer had to keep pressure on the rudder control full time which is especially noticeable when sailing close-hauled. It really made it a much more enjoyable experience. I still found that I had to lock down the rudder, but didn't have any trouble once I did. All in all, I found the new balanced rudder to be an awesome improvement. A+ to Hobie. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Tried out the new balanced rudder this past Saturday in winds of 10-15 mph on the Hudson River near Westpoint. What a great improvement! No weather helm and the rudder control needed very little adjustment. It was one of my best sails yet with speeds of 8-10 mph. After four hours of sailing I came in with a big smile on my face and looking forward to next sail with the new improved balanced AI rudder. Kudos to Hobie for making the new rudder available to all AI owners.

Norman Ernsting, aka Punchinello on www.kayakfishingstuff.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:16 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have registered and still no rudder. My dealer is hard to get any info from any help getting mine?

Post subject: Large rudder for AI.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:58 pm 
Site Admin

Large rudder for AI. It is possible that the registration was not received before the mailing? At some point we had to make the "list".

Send an email with boat and mailing details to:

info (at) hobiecat (dot) com

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Matt for the reply. I found the mistake after going though my papers for my AI, you are correct the registration wasn't sent. It was filled out but not sent. I mailed it today but I will E-mail the info you requested anyway.
I have nothing but good things to say about Hobie, you and my AI. Have a happy 4th from the Great Lakes State.