Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I picked up my Red Adventure Island on Saturday. I already have a couple of Mirage Classics from before they were called "classics," so I know and love the mirage concept.

But, I am a sailor at heart, and all I can say is WOW! This thing ROCKS.

When it gets going, it really jumps up and goes! I plan to take this with me all over the country to the different places we go with our family. Florida, Colorado, etc. I will primarliy sail in Lake Michigan and Powers Lake Wisconsin.

The only concern is that I am not sure I can get this thing onto and off of my roof rack by myself. I could with the classic, but not sure yet how to do it with the Adventure Island.

I have a 9 year old, 3 year old and 2 year old. I took the 2 year old with me yesterday. I have taken him on the classic in the "back" before, but he was way more comfortable sitting on the hatch right in front of me. I had to be VERY careful to only pedal when I had his little feet out of the way. But there wasn't much pedaling to be done. We had a FANTASTIC sail. And, it was very comfortable with him right there in front of me. The only problem was the two times we took some good waves, and it kind of shocks him because it was a little cold. He fell asleep 1/3 into the sail and slept the whole rest of the time!

Then I took my 9 year old girl out, having her sit in the back. After a bit, we switched spots and I knelt in the back. Not uncomfortable at all, especially if you kneel on something besides the plastic. And, it works fine to sit in the back also. I am 190 and 6ft tall, but all was just fine. I could see making up a little seat for back there. The boat was still fast and agile. I could trim the sheet while she steered. I really like the sail. It goes great even if you aren't perfect with the trim, and at the same time it really responds to tuning.

All in all the initial shock of the three grand is over. Money well spent. We can explore all of the places we go, and sailing sure is better than pedaling! A little pedaling is nice, but it sure is nice to cover so much ground with so little effort!

http://www.pbase.com/image/81545251.jpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Welcome to AI sailing!

I have a truck with racks, but maybe you could adapt the following to your loading/unloading. When alone, to unload, I remove all straps & tiedowns then lift the back end of the boat and slowly slide backward while controlling it from rolling. When most of the boat is off the rack I slowly lover the stern to the ground. Watch the rudder assembly! While still holding the boat, work your hands up tword the bow then lift it off the car/truck and slowly lower to the ground. Then I get the wheels and roll the boat on it side to insert and roll back. Load up the boat and roll to the water.

To load, similar but backwards. Find the right spot for the rear of the boat to balance on behind your car. Lift the bow and place on the rack, work down to the rear holding the boat all the way, then lift and slide. With the car you may need to place a mat or cloth to protect where the 2 may rub. Someone suggested using a rubber shower mat with the suction cup bottom.

It's a lot of work, but worth it. It gets easier with time. I bought 2 AI's and friends that tried them bought 2 AI's, so I'm not alone too often! :)

Kayaking Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:36 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the reply. I have two Yakima rack mounts. They allow the Kayak to be on its side to give more room on the rack.

For the classic, I could simply lift the entire kayak over my head top facing down, and with the back passenger door open I could rest the kayak onto the arms. Then I could step up into the truck in the back seat and tip it up.

The Yakima mounts are rubbery, and sliding the kayak back is tough (great for keeping it up there, hard for taking it down). I tried the way you said and I almost had it getting it down as I can stand on my tailgate. The key might be to put some carpet as you suggest on the Yakima arms just for loading and unloading. Some Carpet along the back of the Landrover roof/tailgate area might work also.

I will give it a try, thanks!

Post subject: My "untested" plan
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a plan that I have not tried yet. I have two Roleez kayak wheel sets one with big sand tires and one with regular tires. i plan to place one upside down on the back hatch/roof area and roll the AI up on the roof rack and hopefully the other wheel set will make it easy to roll and protect the kayak from dragging on the ground. I did see the technique on the Roleez web site but using just one wheel set on the roof. So far I have just slide it off the back while holding the outrigger pipe that is bolted to the kayak, Not easy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I might just switch from the Yakima Hullraiser Aero to the Hullyrollers and Mako Saddles. That way the Adventure Island ought to nicely roll up there.

For my lifestyle, making this convenient is key as it really will lead to much more use. I could just leave it at our cabin in Powers Lake, WI, but half the fun is getting out in new places.

I can't say enough about how nice this thing sails!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hulling rollers and saddle, now that looks like the hot setup.