Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I think it would be neat to have a list of Hobie kayak sailors in the Maryland, Virginia,
North Carolina and South Carolina region. Maybe we could even get together and all sail together sometime. Is there any interest in this?

I'll start:

Name: Glenn Gardiner
Model: Adventure Island
Handle: kayakingglenn
Where Do I Sale? lakes around Raleigh, and the North Carolina coast. Will travel anywhere.

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I am up for some racing/sailing/excursioning
Dennis Appling
Virginia Beach, Va.
I sail in the Ocean/Chesapeake Bay/Elizabeth & James River mouths
Hope to be able to travel soon, need to get a better truck first.

Where abouts on the N.C. coast do you go? My local dealer said he has sold a dozen or more in the area but have yet to see anyone else out sailing.

gwiz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

gwiz wrote:
I am up for some racing/sailing/excursioning
Dennis Appling
Virginia Beach, Va.
I sail in the Ocean/Chesapeake Bay/Elizabeth & James River mouths
Hope to be able to travel soon, need to get a better truck first.

Where abouts on the N.C. coast do you go? My local dealer said he has sold a dozen or more in the area but have yet to see anyone else out sailing.

gwiz

I have only had my AI for four weeks, but I have been going down to the Holden Beach area. I have some property down there. It's not real good for sailing, but I'm trying to plan some trips in northern North Carolina. I'm going to be sailing and fishing in the sound behind Nag's Head the first week of August. I did have it in the Potomac River last weekend. I have kayaked on the Potomac River many times, and thought the river was in terrible shape last week. Thousands of dead fish floating everywhere. The waters stunk. It seemed like a cesspool. I have the new trailer that Hobie has come out with for the AI on order and hopefully it will be here in a week or two. Once I gets here I'm up for some traveling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I am going to be busy with work the first week in Aug. but could probably make it down for a day. I am wanting to go out in the Ocean at Nags Head or somewhere there bouts. I keep sailing a little further out each time at the Ocean Front in Va. Bch. but still have not spotted any blue water.

I have heard the Gulf Stream is much closer to shore down in N.C. and that you can drive on the beach with a 4 wheel drive. I have set a dead line for myself to get another truck before the end of the month, my Isuzu pup's registration is due and I have come to the conclusion that at 21 years old it is never going to grow up to be a big dog.

gwiz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

gwiz wrote:
I am going to be busy with work the first week in Aug. but could probably make it down for a day. I am wanting to go out in the Ocean at Nags Head or somewhere there bouts. I keep sailing a little further out each time at the Ocean Front in Va. Bch. but still have not spotted any blue water.

I have heard the Gulf Stream is much closer to shore down in N.C. and that you can drive on the beach with a 4 wheel drive. I have set a dead line for myself to get another truck before the end of the month, my Isuzu pup's registration is due and I have come to the conclusion that at 21 years old it is never going to grow up to be a big dog.

gwiz

Sounds Great. the farthest I've been out is to the end of the jettee at Murrells Inlet in South Carolina and the one at the Lock Folly and let in North Carolina.
I guess that would be much braver if I went out with someone else. I'll let you know the date and going down. I have never seen any trucks on the beach at Nags Head. I have never launched from the surf yet, but it sounds like you have. I was planning on just sailing out inlets. it would be great if we did get a bunch together sometime that week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I would rather not surf launch myself it is tricky and always unpredictable. I just need to get close and not have to sail for hours to get out into the ocean.

If you ever sail on the big swells nothing else is going to satisfy, but after a day of intense fun a peaceful sail back to the take out is wonderful. I often sail around a little extra to unwind.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just bought a Hobie Revolution and ordered the sail and sidekick this weekend. Would like to meet folks to sail with. I live very close to Lake Wateree in SC. Will travel too. Would love to meet and learn from experienced Hobie sailors.

Thanks!

Sean Moran
Camden, SC.