Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobie 16 Wires Question
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 3:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Folks.

It's Father's day and I'm a little sad. I have recently purchase a used '79 Hobie 16, and my son and I planned to take it out for the first sail today...but there was a problem.

Right after I purchase the Hobie I looked at the standing rigging and noted the shrouds looked pretty tough, so they're the first thing I replaced. Now when I try to step the mast, I can't get the forestay within 6 inches of the adjuster at the bridle wire connection. My guess is that replacing the bridle wires, upper and lower forestay with current Hobie 16 units will match my new shrouds. Any advice?

P.S. The jib block in my current wiring is a square sort of a unit, and looks much different than the current block....should I replace this as well?

Thanks.

Dan in Vermont...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 8:43 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
I am sorry for your trouble on fathers day. Make sure that you have everything attached correctly on the mast tang!! The forestay and shrouds go in the bottom hole of the mast tang. Also make sure that the 7 hole adjusters are not twisted on either side of the boat. I recommend putting both shrouds in the top hole of the adjuster, then tension once your forestay is pined. When you go to de-rig the mast you only need to loosen on side wire to the top hole, this way next time you rig your boat you only have one side to tension, but still have enough slack to pin the forestay. If you have any questions please give me a call and I will walk you trough it. Congrats on getting your kid involved into Hobie sailing. EVERYONE NEEDS TO WORK TO PROMOTE YOUTH SAILING ESPECIALLY ON CATS!!

Thanks,
Brad Stephens
Authorized Hobie/Vanguard Dealer
www.sunjammers.com
[email protected]
850-235-2281
Panama City Beach, FL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 10:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Brad,

Thanks for the reply. Everything is A-OK regarding the connections.
The only problem is the new Shrouds from Hobie didn't work with my existing Forestay and Bridle wire setup.

I did a bit of surfing last night and found a post from another group that mentioned the length of the new Shrouds had been shortened, and the Forestay lengthened. This setup is designed to "rake" the main back for better upwind performance.

Unfortunately my new Shrouds and old Forestay/Bridles don't play together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 8:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Folks,

I've been searching other web-sites and trading e-mail with a few other folks.

The NAHCA.ORG site lists the wire lengths for the Hobie 16. The Shrouds are spec'd at 19' 1/4".

My old wires were 18' 11 1/4", and the new Hobie wires measure 18' 11".
All measurements made to the point where the wire would contact a clevis pin (on the inside of the wire guide.)

One of the more interesting mails I received noted that Hobie changes the Shroud and Forestay length after '82. My Hobie 16 is a '79.

I have a new Forestay and set of Bridle wire coming that will hopefully match my new Shrouds, but I've been warned the additional mast rake may cause my mast to miss the over-rotation stops.

Can anyone from Hobie address this question???

Thanks.

Dan in Vermont
'79 Hobie 16 ... still waiting to get wet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 9:12 pm 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
I have the 6:1 blocks and have my mast raked where I am block to block and have never had/heard a problem. Hobie has a support page with all of the correct wire lengths on it http://www.hobiecat.com/support

Thanks,
Brad Stephens
Authorized Hobie/Vanguard Dealer
www.sunjammers.com
850-235-2281
Panama City Beach, FL

Post subject: Hobie 16 wire lengths
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 3:46 pm 
Site Admin

vtnative wrote:
One of the more interesting mails I received noted that Hobie changes the Shroud and Forestay length after '82. My Hobie 16 is a '79.

Yes, in 1982 the shrouds got shorter and the forestay got longer. We shortened the shrouds again in 1995 to sync up with the Hobie 17 wires which were fractions different. We also ('82) angled the step casting aft for better mast rake ability.

Current 16 Wires (measured pin to pin / where clevis pins would rest against the inside of the thimbles)

Forestay 17' 6" (Was 17' 3/4" before 1982)
Shroud 18' 11" (Was 19' 2 1/2" before 1982)

Current wires require an extra extender (10 hole adjuster) on forestay to get full mast rake. You should be able to rig the boat with the shrouds and forestay on top holes of their adjusters.

The 16 sails best with the mast as far aft as possible. With what-ever blocks you have, rake the mast aft till the blocks nearly touch when fully sheeted. The bows will ride higher and the boat will point higher. The boat will pitch pole much more easily if the mast is forward.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 6:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Folks,

Many thanks to mmiller for the reply. I also spent a bit more time with my measuring tape this evening, and I think the mystery is over.

As mmiller noted, in 1982 the shrouds got shorter and the forestay got longer. Current 16 Wires (measured pin to pin / where clevis pins would rest against the inside of the thimbles)

Forestay 17' 6" (Was 17' 3/4" before 1982)
Shroud 18' 11" (Was 19' 2 1/2" before 1982)

My really old shroud wires were actually one each of the 18' 11" and 19' 2 1/2". Again with the tape measure I verified I have the old forestay wire. This combo allowed me to step the mast, second hole on 10-hole adjuster, and second hole on shroud adjuster (with help pulling on the trap wire).

When I installed my new shrouds (first hole in the adjusters), I couldn't get the forestay wire any closer than about 4-5" from the adjuster at the bridle wire junction. Interesting how the new forestay is 5 1/4" longer.

I have new bridle and forestay wires on the way, so hopefully this Thursday I can get everything together in the back yard before heading out for the first sail.

Many thanks to the folks who replied. I really think it would be real helpful if this info was available when ordering replacement wires. Maybe even a note in the catalog regarding pre-'82, etc.

Dan in Vermont
'79 Hobie 16....better understood and closer to gettin' wet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 9:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Folks,

I have installed the new Forestay and Bridle wires (yesterday). I was sucessful in stepping the mast and getting all the wire connected to their adjusters. First hole on each shroud to step the mast, first hole on the front adjuster after stepping the mast, and moved to second hole on each shroud with tension on the trap wires.

My son and I took the Hobie for it's first sail, all worked well, but unfortunately the wind was close to non-existant.....

Anyway, thanks again to all who shared their info.

To reiterate, I really believe this is a big hole in the Hobie parts catalog, and apparently dealer info, as my local dealer had no info regarding different wire lengths based on the year of my Hobie 16. I really feel like we lost a week of the season without the availability of this critical info.

Dan in Vermont
'79 Hobie 16, all new wires and wet at last.