Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Rudders
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
The balanced rudders are being shipped to owners who registered their boats warranty with us. All others should contact their dealer to order one. All are being provided at no charge.

Lock down problem? Use the thumb screw in extreme cases. The balanced rudder also seems to stay down easier using the standard down control.

Hi Matt.
I was sailing yesterday with a 10+Knots wind and I still have the problem with the lifting rudder. Eventhpugh I replaced the pin with a stainless-longer one it´s still a problem to go to the stern and screw it.
I´ve heard about the new rudder. Can I get one?
Pez

Post subject: Rudder
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:25 pm 
Site Admin

Contact your dealer or send an email to info (at) hobiecat (dot) com with your mailing information.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject: Sailing rudder
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:23 pm 
Site Admin

This is from a post at the top of this forum:

# 81397001 "Balanced" Large sailing rudder for Twist-n-Stow

Available at no charge for all AIs produced before this became standard this spring.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject: Waiting....
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all,
I emailed my info to the address that was listed and I've been waiting for the new rudder to arrive. When I saw a package on the porch when I came home last night and was all excited and looking for my screwdriver to install my new prize! ..... But when I opened the box it was for my wife. An order of clothing that she ordered not my new rudder. It was like a kid at Christmas that saw a nice box thinking it was a cool toy that turned out to be socks! Oh well, back to waiting.

Glenn

Post subject: New rudder
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Tested out the new rudder Hobie sent out and could not believe how much easier it is!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi folks, greetings from this side of the pond - new to the board and to the AI but very enthusiastic about this little beast. Took delivery in mid-June and I've been waiting ever since to get her on the water - too much wind! Unheard of in a UK summer. Finally got her out at the weekend and had an absolute blast for about an hour - wind 3 gusting 4 - brilliant, brilliant fun.
Suddenly I found myself in a tack/gybe/tack cycle and eventually realised that the rudder was stuck on full right lock with no way to free it and blowing towards the shore. No major panic but puzzlement mainly. As has been said before on this board the T&S system is difficult if not impossible so I raised it manually and paddled to shore about a mile from where I should have been still puzzled.
Next day I checked out the rudder lever and found that one of the arms inside the hull, to which the rudder lines are attached, was fouling behind a moulding in the hull which is used for a fairlead (since this is my first time out I don't know what this is normally used for). If the rudder is pulled beyond a certain point then the arm slips over the internal moulding but wont slip back without some deft jiggling and until I'd felt around inside the hull this wasn't obvious. The rudder lines also seem to be very loose.
I have a couple of questions arising from this (BTW I don't have the rudder mod that Hobie have produced but my dealer is on the case here and he's been very helpful - topmanleisure.co.uk).
Has anyone else experienced this or is it just me :-(
Does anyone know how tight the rudder lines should be and can they be too tight?
As I took her out in Poole Harbour, which is big but you will fetch up on a shore sometime in the not too distant future, this wasn't a major issue but if I'd gone out on the open sea it might have been a different story.
It hasn't put me off the AI one iota. It's such a brilliant craft and concept and Hobie's attitude to ongoing development, as demonstrated on this site, seems very encouraging. So - first outing major enjoyment, minor frustration. Onward and upward. Any help would be appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ha! As my signature says half the population are stupider than the average - I must be in the bottom half. Just found the T&S instructions on this site. Probably should read before I post eh? Now going out to fiddle with the rudder and hang my head in shame.

Post subject: across the pond
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Ratporchrico,

I've never had that happen! I hope you have it worked out before your next outing!

Glenn

Post subject: Got my rudder!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all,

Well today my new balanced rudder arrived! Just in time fora trip this weekend to lake Erie with a friend with another AI! I can't wait to try it! I'll let you know how it goes!

Glenn

Post subject: New rudder
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Your going to love it. No back pressure on the fingers...... :lol:

Glenn

Post subject: New rudder on Lake Erie
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The new rudder is great! The combinations of tighten the rudder twist-n-stow lines and the new rudder makes the port tack the same great fun the starboard tacks have been. Fantastic! Great sailing!! And sailing in the Erie Presque Isle Bay… Great! Great wind with little wave action and about ¼ of the traffic that’s on the Chesapeake Bay! And we were the only AI’s there. We spent a great deal of time describing the boats to curious on lookers on other boats. If I had the money I’d open a Hobie dealer in Erie! :D :D :D