Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm picking up my new Adventure Island tonight. Here in North Carolina, you have to register and number a 16 foot sailboat. I don't see any loophole for the AI.

What have other folks done? Have you registered yours? And have you found a good way to get the numbers to stick to the plastic hull?

Regards,
-Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

We have the same situation in California. Every state is going to be different, so you have to check with the local DMV or whichever body governs boat registrations. We are registering all the AIs we sell. I haven't had any trouble getting the letters to stick on the Hobie rotomolded products so far and there is room on the bow of the AI for Reg. #s and stickers. They might need to be replaced more often than on fiberglass boats. Time will tell.
Todd Craig
Inland Sailing Company
www.inland-sailing.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Tennessee also requires registration. I put the numbers on the outriggers and it works great. Ray J

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Greg.... let me know what you end up having to do, I also live in NC.
Where at in NC are you located? I'm in Raleigh.

g1r2e3g4 wrote:
I'm picking up my new Adventure Island tonight. Here in North Carolina, you have to register and number a 16 foot sailboat. I don't see any loophole for the AI.

What have other folks done? Have you registered yours? And have you found a good way to get the numbers to stick to the plastic hull?

Regards,
-Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Todd
Have you got any of the black nylon rudder cam's for a hobie 16 in stock over at Inland Sailing?
We broke one off last week and I was hoping to drive over and pick one up at your place.
Thanks
..............Kepnutz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just spoke with Greg at the dealer (Great Outdoor Provision Company) in Raleigh. He claims the AI is a kayak, not a sailboat, and hence no registration is required. I'm not yet convinced the state of NC will agree.

I'm going to contact the state just to be sure. The state web site lists the following exclusion: "Rowboats, canoes, and rafts moved only by oars, paddles, or the current do not need registration in North Carolina." It also says "All sailboats used on public waters must be registered if longer than 14 feet at the load waterline." [emphasis added]

I'll let you know what I learn from the state.

-Greg

P.S. I'm in Durham.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi, Kepnutz. I sent you an email. We usually have a good supply in. Give the shop a call at 916-859-3436 to be sure. Thanks.
Todd Craig
Inland Sailing Company
916-859-3436

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just spoke with the North Carolina boat registration info line. They said that if the boat is over 14 feet and has a sail, then it has to be registered. There was no exception just because it could be used as a kayak without the sail.

I'm going to go ahead and register mine. A new title and three-year registration is $45. Fines for not registering start at $150. This does not strike me as a hard decision...

Regards,
-Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:11 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

As much as I grumble about having to register my 16, the money does go to patrolling the water and other such good stuff. I'm sure we've used up more than our share of this - now if people on shore would quit calling the Skamania County Sheriff every time we capsized, this would be less of a problem :roll:

http://www.div4.hobieclass.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

In Florida we don't require a registration for the Island.

Does this mean if I take my Island to North Carolina for a few days vacation for sailing that I am screwed?

What about vacations to other states that require sailboats to be registered?

I certainly don't want to be fined, but I sure as heck don't want to register a boat in every state I visit.

Would I be at all correct in assuming that there is a residence requirement that forces the issue of registering?

Of course, the N.Carolina marine patrol has no idea of the residency of the sailboats user - he just sees an "illegal" non-registered boat and stops it.

Thanks for any illumination on this topic

Yakaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I bought my AI used. I do not have a Certificate of Origin. Don't you need one to register it?

g1r2e3g4 wrote:
I just spoke with the North Carolina boat registration info line. They said that if the boat is over 14 feet and has a sail, then it has to be registered. There was no exception just because it could be used as a kayak without the sail.

I'm going to go ahead and register mine. A new title and three-year registration is $45. Fines for not registering start at $150. This does not strike me as a hard decision...

Regards,
-Greg

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Okay, you have innocently opened up a can of worms that probably would have been opened up anyway down the road. I want to be legal. I have spoken to wildlife, who told me that my A. I. has to be registered. I explained the problem of putting numbers on the boat, and they did not understand. They then had a captain in enforcement call me. I told him that I'm wanted to comply with everything that was required of me, but would not drill holes in the hull or jeopardize the boat in any way. He suggested that the numbers be put up on the front of the boat. There are several problems with this. First, will there be enough of the side of the bow visible. Second, when I put on my spray shield the numbers will be covered over. In addition to this the registration which is paper will have to be kept in a dry bag in storage. When we are stopped by a Marine police officer, how will we get to this piece of paper. The officer I spoke to understood the problems and felt that the state should decide whether it wants these boats to be registered. He is very understanding and realizes we are traveling on new grounds. He is going to speak to someone higher up, to figure out how we can accomplish this.

To answer the question of the fellow from out of state, vacationing in North Carolina the answer is very simple. A person has 60 days to register the boat after moving here. When your stopped by the marine police they will use their radio to check a database and find out where you live. If you live out of state, no problem. If you live in North Carolina, you probably will receive a citation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Glen! - I figured there had to be a common sense-able approach to visitors from other states.

In Florida our marine patrol uses some pretty big boats. They would have a very difficult time trying to pull along side an Island without seriously damagaing something - especially in chop.

I think the marine patrol knows that a kayak is just not something you pull along side and tie up to. They have made inquires if I had a PFD but always from a respectable (and safe) distance.

I'm with you about compliance with the law. Just that we are a nation of too many laws sometimes :roll:
Before you know it you will be asked to carry a fire extinguisher, flare gun, and a ship to shore radio on board. :lol:

I have seen numbers attached to the sail - but of course they disappear when you roll up the sail.

Heaven knows where one would find space to put the numbers. Florida lets you use adhesive numbers but they must be 3" high and are FL + 6 digits. Or roughly a 3.5" x 20" flat space above the water line & easily visable from another boat. A friend in a power boat got a ticket because his #s wern't big enough.

Make up & wear 'T' shirts with your reg# on it? :shock:

Can 'O worms indeed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I did not register my Mirage Classics, but I was supposed to. In 6 years I haven't had anyone say a word to me, even in Lake Michigan.

I registered the AI because the dealer automatically registered it when i purchased it.

Post subject: Registration
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

:evil: This whole subject is a mess. I don't mind registering and I don't mind paying the money, but I'll be darned if I want to mess up my beautiful AI with a bunch of commercial numbers that don't fit on the hull. I think the problem is that this is a hybrid vessel. It fits into an entirely different class. Even Hobie has it under sailing and kayaks both. We are just going to have to humor them and do what it takes to get by until someone wakes up and fixes this problem.