Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: sidekick
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Does any one have a strong feeling one way or another between the Hobie sidekick vs. the Ram Rodholder with lobster buoy amas. It looks like the inflatable hobie amas fold over when submerged. and have less adjustment options than the rod holders.
Duke

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Maybe I should re-phrase the question. Does anyone have any opinion (even a mild one) about the Hobie Sidekick vs. the Ram rodholder lobster pot Outriggers??????
Duke

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:04 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

duke wrote:
Maybe I should re-phrase the question. Does anyone have any opinion (even a mild one) about the Hobie Sidekick vs. the Ram rodholder lobster pot Outriggers??????
Duke

The RAM holder style has the advantage of swinging back out of the way while still attached to the boat. The sidekick detaches and has to be stowed when not in use. The RAM is also much more adjustable.

The RAM holder will not be as solid unless also attached to a cross bar for added support. Without the cross bar, all the pressure is on a single RAM ball and small piece of plastic. The cross bar spreads the pressure across both balls and should greatly reduce pressure on the single ball.

In either case, I would not reccomend well nuts. I installed my sidekick with the supplied wellnuts and they have popped out after only one month. I installed the wellnuts as well as I possible could, so I have no faith in them at all. Since I can't access that area beneath the rail, I am looking at other anchor bolts to reattach the sidekick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've been out sailing with the sidekick amas on a Revo a bunch of times. They have never folded over even when I've had them totally submerged (to see what would happen). They have pinwheeled on some occasions. Usually the one only touching every now an then on the up wind side. Or running with the wind in waves. I always use them in the highest of the 3 adjustment options so that they do not touch the water unless you tip. Once they are in contact they add a lot of drag. They shape is functional but not very hydrodynamic. They really add an amazing amount of stability, very handy for gusts, quick wind direction changes and higher winds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks guys I do appreciate the responses.
Duke