Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Is it possible to mount a SideKick in-between the sail mast and the front passenger seatback on a 2007 Hobie Mirage Oasis?

Three potential problems:

1. Not enough room in-between the sail mast and the front passenger seatback for diameter of crossbar to fit.

2. Crossbar not long enough to span the full width of the deck at widest point of kayak, which is in-between the sail mast and the front passenger seatback.

3. Vertical curvature of seatback protrudes upward...crossbar would have to be bent or brackets raised to clear this protrusion?

Post subject: Fit
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:28 pm 
Site Admin

Just had a gentleman describe installation on the Outfitter. It worked on that model. Not sure on the Oasis.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:04 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

1. Anywhere from 3 1/2" to 4 3/4" clearance between mast and points shown below:
ImageImage

2. 25" outboard edge to edge; 24" crown to crown. If you need to mount further inboard, you can use spacers.

3. Cockpit rails stand higher than seat-back deck:

Just noticed I forgot to flip pictures (boat was hanging), but you get the idea.

Looks like it might just work out. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the info, Roadrunner. There does seem to be enough front/back room in there to mount it, even if I have to avoid the protrusion or shim up the mounts to go over it. Are your pics of an Oasis or an Outfitter?...I see a suspicious looking hole in the hull next to the drive well...is that a fishing rod holder or ??? My Oasis doesn't have that hole, and my front seat back definitely is higher than the rails...I noticed that the first time I set it on top of my car on a soft rack. But the front/back clearance there seems similar to your pictures.

I also did some more reading here and at http://kfs.infopop.cc/eve/forums and determined that the crossbar is 1-1/8" outside diameter and that apparently a 3/4" I. D. PVC pipe (perhaps with a dowel inside of it for strength) will fit nicely and snugly inside of the crossbar, allowing me to extend it if I need to. I think that is what Jon in Florida did on his Revolution (bottom picture):

http://kfs.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/ ... 2321032933

I ordered the SideKick today...lots of posts from people loving it, and no negatives that I could find.

Thanks again,

Jerry

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Matt - does that Outfitter owner participate in this forum, or does anyone else have experience comparing the SideKick as a mid-mount vs. a rear-mount? I'd prefer the mid-mount, but not if it causes handling problems (overpowering the rudder?). I ordered a SideKick today, because I've read nothing but good things about it...just deciding where to mount it on my 2007 Oasis now.

Jerry

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I figured out that the hole that I see in your photo was one of a pair - apparently the upper openings of the cart scupper holes, which the Outfitter has, according to the pics on the Hobie website (the Oasis' cart holes are sealed at the top - they don't go thru the upper hull surface), BUT...the Outfitter doesn't seem to have the scalloped foot recesses that your model has. Is that a Mirage Tandem in some former incarnation, when the cart holes went thru both hull surfaces, or ???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:05 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Yep, it's an '07 Oasis, or at least that's what I thought. It does have holes though (as you can see below) that extend through the hull --

Maybe we got a defective model? Now you have me curious as to what this actually is! We just got it recently. It could be one of those new whichamacallit models like Osprey or something else that starts with an 'O'. It's hard to keep them all straight! I should pay more attention.:oops:

Whatever it is, it's sure a lot of fun! Hope that Slidekick works out for you! 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Roadrunner - It sounds as if my hull (August of '06...hull # ...H607) was one of the last of the Mirage "Tandem" rotomolds with the new Oasis decals applied to it, and yours is a totally new "Oasis" rotomold. Can you tell any other differences between yours and the detailed top view on the Hobie site (which is of the Mirage Tandem rotomold which matches mine exactly)? Just curious what other differences there might be.

Last edited by Soyjer on Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:35 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have the 07 Oasis and have mounted mine right where you are referring and it works perfect. It is far enough back that you can not feel it in the front seat and far enough forward that you can still use the sail. Also as fas as width it is just barely perfect with 1/8" crossbar left on each side of the clamps.

I love it and they work great, the only problem is that there is no way to reach the back of the screws so well nuts will have to do.

Post subject: Thanks, Damien
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks, Damien...I saved the pics for reference. I tried reaching back from the front hatch to the crossbar mounting area we are talking about, and I could have sworn that I could reach that far without any problem...and I am not a gorilla. But you tried and were unable to reach far enough to be able to attach washers and nuts there?

I read your other posts, and realized that you are the "Oasis sailing under the GG Bridge" guy. I can't tell from the video, but that was without the SideKick, wasn't it? I would think a person would spend more time in the water than in the boat under those conditions, but maybe having a second person in the boat to help with the leaning makes the difference?

Also of interest was TJ's comment that his home-made centerboard was not needed:

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewt ... ght=#34643

Jerry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:51 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I think that I might have been able to reach it, but that was it. There was no way I could attach anything or screw on a nut, but if you can that is great maybe you can fix mine also.

Also yes I am that "guy" but I did indeed have the outriggers out. Without those we ould have been in the drink for sure. The other thing to note is that the wind was gusting up to 25 knots and the outriggers were being completely submerged and holding a lot of pressure and the well nuts did great. I am not discrediting all the posts of them popping and I am sure now that my next time out they will pop, but thus far under extreme conditions they have heald true.

TJ's article was great and with the tandem and the turbos there is no way I would ever need a center board.

Good luck with the install you are going to love the outriggers. Also I will try to get better pictures so that you can get a better idea as to there position.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

If you install it right you will still have room to put the seat bungie underneath the crossbar.

Here are some photos for your reference:

Post subject: Thanks for the pics
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Those pics will really help...nice that it fits so perfectly in a place where it doesn't interfere with other operation of the kayak.

The "mods" I've made so far are:

1. I modified my cart so I can remove and replace it while on the water in about 5 seconds by using my hands thru the drive well...no more having to tip the kayak on edge on the shoreline to R&R the cart. Mine has pneumatic tires so it can't sink, btw.

2. I hang two 1 gallon jugs of water connected by ~6" of rope over the front bow bracket when I am soloing in the kayak....brings the nose down considerably. Also I use a diver's weight in a pouch on a long 1/8" rope in the same location as an addtional nose weight and as an anchor.

3. I use a telescoping pole (an old mop pole or something like that) with a hook on the end as a "boom" for my sail. The fiberglass rod idea seems better, though. I also use the pole to move things around in the kayak, grab things in the water, etc.

4. I carry a 6' diameter SPF50 umbrella with me that fits into the mast hole. Looks like the Outfitter could use the rod holder holes for this, also.

5. I got the new rudder up/down handle and shaft available from Hobie, and installed it (replaces the set screw mounting method with a "completely thru" hex bolt that can't come out).

6. I inserted several white RubberMaid dishpans into my hull thru the hatches, so my stuff is easier to find and keep dry.

7. I bought several custom length cables and marine padlocks that enable me to lock up my hatches and lock my drives/kayak to an object up to 15 feet away from the drives/kayak. I got the cables from here:
https://www.shop.marinelock.com/display ... tegoryId=6
I am not connected to that business...just was impressed with the service and the products, and his willingness to cut custom cables for a very reasonable price.

Post subject: Re: Thanks for the pics
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:45 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Soyjer wrote:
4. I carry a 6' diameter SPF50 umbrella with me that fits into the mast hole. Looks like the Outfitter could use the rod holder holes for this, also.

It's also the Mary Poppins Spinnaker! Great for downwind sailing!

http://www.pdracer.com/sail/unusual/index.htm

http://www.div4.hobieclass.com/

Post subject: Umbrellas, etc.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yeah...and you can sail approx. 90 degrees to the wind (seems like it, anyway) with just the umbrella if you hold it right!

BTW...you can use a thick (flannel?) twin size FITTED sheet as a full body sunshade, when you need quick and easy sun protection. The fitted corners keep it secured around the drive pedals and your shoulders as you pedal. Or you can drop it to your waist and paddle. Stays on your legs a LOT better than a towel. If I didn't have that I'd be burned pretty much all the time.