Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi,

I have a H17 Sport and am thinking of getting a Bravo because of faster set up (will keep the H17 for days when I have the time). How long does the Bravo take to set up if starting with a Bravo on a trailer? From Hobie's website, it looks like it should be fairly quick but I was hoping some you could give me some real-life feedback. I don't get a chance to sail a lot (few times a year, unfortunately - live in MN so winter [and work] are obstacles) so I'm kind of looking for a time estimate for someone who doesn't go through the set up drill many times a year. I also have a Laser (my current "fast set up" boat) - but am thinking I'll get rid of it if I get the Bravo. Any thoughts on Laser vs Bravo (or for that matter H17 vs Bravo) and other thoughts on Bravo in general that aren't posted already would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Fleet 444

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:47 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
bravo is our number 1 selling boat this year, it has smashed the sunfish and laser. The reason, we have recreational sailors in my area and they like the simplicity of the bravo and the rigging can be done in a matter of minutes, like under 5. If you have any questions give us a call at the shop, everyone here loves the bravo so anyone should be able to help you, also look at the wave its just as easy, only 1 more step, raising the sail.

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

Post subject: time to bravo set up
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:22 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I recently purchased 2 bravos for my kids and we were able to get them out of the trailer, rigged, and out on the lake in about 15 minutes! They are so easy and foolproof! I would definaltey recommend them and they are much much quicker then rigging a laser or a sunfish by far. They are also more comfortable to sit in and lounge on.

Post subject: Setup time on Bravo
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Looks like you made the decision to go with the Bravo. Congrats!

Set up time is 5-10 minutes max. I leave rudder on, and mast assembled and furled. Rig your trailer for fast tiedowns and you're good to go. I added a mast support on the trailer, and use those ball-ties to secure the mast to the support and to the rear handle.

At our put-in, I can launch or retreive faster than anyone can get their jon-boat or Kayaks squared away. Great boat if all you want to do is sail. I also like that I don't need the boat ramp. there is a small spot off the parking lot that I back to.. and never even put the trailer in the water... just slide on and off ... so you never have to wait on someone else.

Have fun!

Post subject: Seventeen Minutes
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

If you have a short drive to the water, I recommend you tow with the cover off the mast/sail. Also, drive with the tiller/rudder in place and the mainsheet stretched to the gate. To avoid bending the boom clip bolt, do not drive with the boom pre-attached to the mast. No need to ask how I know that. I use just two straps to hold the Bravo to the trailer and slip them off and the bob on before the ramp. The sail/mast rides the Bravo into the water and over to the beach. (Drive your vehicle up the ramp and into the parking lot.) A very experienced cat pilot taught me to raise the mast with the Bravo pointed down and toward the water. Rig the boom and place in the cockpit my optional blue bedroll pad to protect your knees ($5-6). Time to sail: around 15 minutes.