Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: new AI owner in HAWAII
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:41 am 
Hobie Team Member

wow much aloha and mahalo for this site and all those who have written. I love my AI but had many of the same problems as the rest of you . line strech sent me adrift the first time due to loss of rudder control. no fun sailing when you cant steer. I have noticed the AI isnt much of a peddler up-wind in heavy winds. secondly I lost my rudder handle about a mile and a half out in 20 knot winds and four foot seas. now that was flat out dangerous and scary as hell. . again i was set adrift and forced to improvise my way in on another typical hawaiin day 20 knot winds and 4-6 foot seas when my ruuder pin broke. again i was very scared. I took the rudder handle and drilled a whole thru the unit and put a nut and bolt thru it. I replaced the rudder pin with a door hinge pin from ace seems to be working now but a little smaller in diamiter. next I am waiting for the rudder up and down handle to break wich seemed to have happened to most of you. also i am very concerned about the wear to the aka arms due to the rounding out done by the steel connecting pin. then i got my computur back on line and found you. i have had my AI less than a month and have only rode it 6 times it broke three. I sent my warrenty in a few days ago. I have one of the first 150 Ai's. I will need all the upgrades. I am hoping hobie will send them soon. I will contact my dealer tomorrow. THE GOOD NEWS IS i caught two mahi mahi on the two trips to the deep blue that i didnt break down. I live on oahu and will use the AI mostly for fishing and camping. Thanks for all the info. I am really interested in the splash gaurd theory and the wings on the rudder also the paddle storage techniques. also want to get some kind of mesh between the akas for extra big fish storage. this site has been a huge help. any one who has an AI on oahu and wants to go fishing give me a shout or any of you can e-mail me at [email protected]. I wll have my mahai mahi catches posted soon in coastalkayaktours.com Mahalo Boogie-D

Post subject: AI Update kits
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:13 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
I am hoping hobie will send them soon. I will contact my dealer tomorrow.

That is the correct way to handle this.

Hobie does not send previous updates simply by registering the warranty on a boat. We can then send possible future updates or information.

We have to rely on dealers to upgrade their existing stock when these updates occur, but they don't always do that.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject: other hawaii ai sailors
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:01 pm 
Hobie Team Member

was just wondering who else out there is fishing in hawaii on hobie AI's. we love ours and want to chat with other hawaii fisherman. you can check out pics of the fish we catch out on are AI's and contact me at our web site www.coastalkayaktours.com . tight lines and screamin reals aloha boogie-d

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Some of us are over on Kayak Fishing Stuff forum http://kfs.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/ ... 049403/p/1

I've got 2 AI's and friends have 2 here also in Kihei, Maui
Aloha Dan is on the Big Island with one and quite a fisherman!
We've met Bill B. with two and emailed with Steve M. with another two and we know there are others here on Maui.

Kayaking Bob

Post subject: AI's on Maui
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Don't forget us part timers, I have an AI in Kahana and have accumulated all the Hobie updates for my Christmas visit and hope to sail from Kahana to Olowalu. I hope to add another AI to the fleet for the girlfriend to sail and fish.
John

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:32 pm 
Hobie Team Member

thanks for all the reply. it looks like there are only a few people here who have the AI's. we have never seen anyone on oahu riding one. well the fishing has been great and we have been nailing it off the AI's. we have posted new pics on our website that have pics of the onos and mahi we have been catching.. www.coastalkayaktours.com check it out. me and my partner have two AI's and are available to guide visitors on oahu for fishing tours. aloha tight lines and screamin reels Boogie-D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Greetings all! Thanks to all of you and the info in this forum for making my transition from dry, to very wet so much easier.. and fun. I got delivery of our new AI xmass eve from Windward Boats on Oahu (many Thanks Lorraine!) via Young Bros. barge to Kauai. I've managed two trips in Hanalei Bay so far... big swells now so maybe river trip this weekend.
Only two mishaps, one was a whale hiding behind a wave :shock: and other was not remembering to check the screws around the mast bearing plate. With forum help, and Lorraine, I pulled the thing apart, filed a bit and put back together. As it's been said somewhere - it's not yours until you drill a hole in it... like it's not home until you take the wheels off (Trailer Park Troubadours), so I did. One for the gps mount and another three for the as yet untested 'spray guard' (some pics http://home.rr.com/woodbbworks).
I'm most grateful to all here, so happy wakes and may all your rudder pins stay on one piece.
Mahalo,
Sam