Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Floaties
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Getting ready to install the floaties. What's the best location for the Revo? I plan on using ss bolts and washers, just don't feel comfortable with the well nuts cause if they come out you got some big holes to fill!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I believe the general consensus is behind the seat.

Post subject: Sidekick install
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I can only reach as far as the rod holders thru the hatch. Has anyone installed sidekicks that far back or should I just use the wellnuts and move them up further? Any alternate suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Mine are working fine where I installed them behind the seat. I put the crossbar back far enough so it doesn't get in the way with the flip up rudder lever. I can still get to the little eyelets for the bungie cord and my seat back doesn't hit it even if I'm reclined. It handles ok when the an ama is forced into the water- it doesn't pull the bow downwind. When measuring to get it perpendicular to the boat, don't use the paddle holder bumps, both sides are different. I measured from the rear eyelet/handle to each bracket. I shortened my center crosspiece so that it did not extend much beyond the brackets because I didn't want that to catch/foul my mainsheet when the amas were off. It required redrilling the 3 holes on one side of the tube. I also put gorilla tape on the tube just inside each bracket to keep the tube from shifting sideways. If you trim the tube use a pipe cutter because the calibration of button-to-hole will be off if it's not a straight cut. (I learned that from the first one I did..I've done this on 3 Revolutions.) Here is a photo I took a while back. It doesn't show it too well. So far the well nuts are holding but I've had to retighten them three times. I think the rubber compresses and loosens. A tight bracket is a must to keep the whole unit from rotating.[img][[img]http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb214/gafferstape/IMG_2765.jpg[/img]]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have my side kicks in the same position as shown in the photoes to thru bolt them I drilled and tapped a piece of 12" long aluminum so i could reach the bolts for this float position.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

After several near capsizes I bought the Sidekick Amas. What a relief to sail without concerns of taking a plunge.
I have installed my sidekick amas in the same position just behind the rudder flip up lever. I used the provided wellnuts and thus far have not had an issue with them getting loose or coming out but you do have to make them TIGHT. I have sailed 10 - 15 mph winds w/ 20 mph gusts on a lake where waves do not exceed a foot and have been hiked right up with the amas set at lowest setting. One running deep in the water and the other flying a good foot or more off the water. I found the mid setting lessened the drag and gave me even more speed though a bit more hiked over.
The sailing rudder is a must have for anyone considering sailing a Revo.
I have the Turbo ST fins and need not pedal at all for stability the fins work just fine as a daggerboard just set them at full down take your feet off and cruise.
I have a simple furling and unfulrling system and have modified the main sheet line control to an added block, additional padeyes and a camlock.

I will post with pictures later.