Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:08 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Has anyone sailed out of East Point or Reeds Beach area on Delaware Bay ? Any advice or tips on this area ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:34 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I can't help you out on East Point Lighthouse or Reeds Beach. I sail South Jersey: I've sailed Union Lake, Milleville, (Nice day sail, or when the wind is heavy) and Pecks Bay, between Ocean City and Somers Point. I've been looking for more locations in South Jersey. I'd like to find an easy beach location into the southern Barneget Bay (from the main land side). I've heard the beach at Trixie's Landing is nice but that is a 2 hour drive for me. NJ ocean beaches are hard to access and most have hefty annual fees. I like to trailer my HC-18 (Magnum) to my sailing location. I'd rather not subject the boat and the rig to the abuse of sitting on the beach. Any other suggestion for sailing locations in South Jersey is appreciated.

If you decide to sail East Point Lighthouse or Reeds Beach, I'd like to hear a review.

Sail#4854

Post subject: East Point Lighthouse
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I sail Union Lake alot in summer, it's only 20 minutes from my house. I've seen some 16"s, 14"s and a prindle sailing around, I'll keep an eye out for your 18. As far as I know I'm the only getaway out there. If you see me give a shout. I am planning a trip to sail out of East Point to a friends house at Reed's Beach in 2 weeks. I'll let you know how it goes. I do know there is a boat launch there and a small beach. Where do you launch at Peck's Bay? Always looking for new places to sail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:33 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I’ve launched form two locations into Pecks Bay. 1st – Kennedy Park in Somers Point. This is a very nice park and boat ramp (Fee). The beach area next to the boat ramp has eroded over the years so there is almost no place to set up. At high tide there is no beach!! 2nd location is at the Upper Township boat ramp (Fee) between the Parkway and Route 9 bridges (near the Tuckahoe Inn). There is a beach close to the Parkway where you can pull up. If you have beach wheels, and the beach is not too crowded you can launch straight from the street to the beach and avoid the ramp Fee. Wind direction can make getting under the Parkway bridge to the bay tricky at times. And Pecks bay has some shallow shoals at low tide, but a Getaway should have no problems. I’ve had to push off a muddy shoal once or twice. Both boat ramps are more suited for power boats and you need to paddle/motor around to the beach. I've marked both in Google Earth Community "i" markers

I'll look for you at Union Lake. I launch at the municiple ramp near the park. (not the state ramp) There is area to rig you sail on a gravelly beach. Does not seem to be any place to set up at the state ramp.

Sail#4854

Post subject: East Point
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Never noticed a boat launch at the municipal park, thought it was just a swimming beach. I launch from the state ramp. There is room at the top of the launch to set up on the trailer then back down. I keep the tie downs on until I'm in the water. Going there tomorrow mabe I'll try the municipal ramp. It is a pain without a beach to launch from.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:03 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Watch out for the overhead power lines at the municipal ramp.

Sail#4854